Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Powerflex top engine mount - now it rattles my teeth

Just had a Powerflex top engine mount bush fitted.

On idle it now vibrates so badly, I'm taking the car back tomorrow to have the old bush fitted back on.

It's terrible.

Any reason why there would be so much vibration?
    It obviously has highlighted some underlying problem.
    Any ideas?

2000 V70 T5.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I can't see that it's the engine mount, I'm REALLY anal about noises and vibrations and I hardly notice mine, only thing I can think of is you have a poly LOWER engine mount as well, both I believe would cause more vibration, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon tho.....

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    you should try it on a D5, think it lasted a whole day before i splashed out on a new Volvo one because i thought the dashboard was going to vibrate itself loose lol

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I take it you mean the larger one of the two ( the one that's goes into the cast alu bracket bolted onto the engine).
    Only done the smaller one on my motor and the smaller one on the tie rod under the engine/ gearbox,also the engine brace bar.
    I don't have any problem with noise/ vibration in the cabin.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Mine makes the car rattle. Check the bolt holding the smaller bush tucked away, behind the larger one, mine rattled like hell til i tightened it.
    Also, having the A/C on will make it rattle loads.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ive got polybushed evo lower gearbox mounts on my s40 t4 and it vibrates a bit but i can live with it

I said a 10 second car not a 10 minute car

Thanks
    The thing is, with a P2 V70/S60/S80 you very quickly get used to quiet comfort. So when you introduce a vibration like that it seems to spoil it that bit more

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WATCHMAN View Post
    Just had a Powerflex top engine mount bush fitted.

On idle it now vibrates so badly, I'm taking the car back tomorrow to have the old bush fitted back on.

It's terrible.

Any reason why there would be so much vibration?
    It obviously has highlighted some underlying problem.
    Any ideas?

2000 V70 T5.
    I`ve fitted every polybush you can get for a 850 and I`ve also fitted alloy sub-frame bushes. The vibration in the cabin at tick over is not bad but noticable.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    I don't have any vibration in my C70 with the poly top mount, now I've sorted the idle speed.

the true nut job
    Thanks
    it might be me..but i have got to ask...why have it done, has it made the cars any faster??? or better in any way..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    maybe its touching somewhere against the mount or body etc,
    i got poly top mount on mine and its hardly noticeable on normal driving,
    only when you accelerate you know its a bit harder lol,
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL V70R View Post
    it might be me..but i have got to ask...why have it done, has it made the cars any faster??? or better in any way..
    I'm guessing it lasts longer.

Thanks
    On P2 cars, the early type bush used to fail a lot if the car was driven hard. The poly doesn't. I have top and bottom mount polys, as well as wishbones and it's sharpened the gearchange, as the engine doesn't fidget about as much coming on and off the power. Throwing the car into a corner at speed is also more precise and so marginally faster. The P2 is bigger and heavier than the P1 and benefits greatly from the powerflex stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 stealth View Post
    maybe its touching somewhere against the mount or body etc,
    i got poly top mount on mine and its hardly noticeable on normal driving,
    only when you accelerate you know its a bit harder lol,
    Where the P1 mounts to the bulkhead, the P2 mounts to a stabiliser bar (which isn't a strut brace - another story), and for some reason, causes massive resonance between 650-800 rpm from the powerflex bush. Made worse by loose bushes at the ends of the stabiliser, worn or loose bush between the large top bush and the stabiliser bar or using the A/C at idle.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    On P2 cars, the early type bush used to fail a lot if the car was driven hard. The poly doesn't. I have top and bottom mount polys, as well as wishbones and it's sharpened the gearchange, as the engine doesn't fidget about as much coming on and off the power. Throwing the car into a corner at speed is also more precise and so marginally faster. The P2 is bigger and heavier than the P1 and benefits greatly from the powerflex stuff.

Where the P1 mounts to the bulkhead, the P2 mounts to a stabiliser bar (which isn't a strut brace - another story), and for some reason, causes massive resonance between 650-800 rpm from the powerflex bush. Made worse by loose bushes at the ends of the stabiliser, worn or loose bush between the large top bush and the stabiliser bar or using the A/C at idle.
    i put polybush on the stablilser bar which is meant to turn it into a strut brace or just tighten the front end up it works you feel it when going round corners working better.

Thanks
    Do you have a poly top mount too?

I've been thinking about stiffening that bar up but absalutely don't want any more noise in the cabin.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

the true nut job
    Thanks
    thanks chaps..i did wounder why....so its poss to do any rubber mounts on the car???
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks chaps..i did wounder why....so its poss to do any rubber mounts on the car???
    yes martin i have top powerflex top mount lower mount wishbone and stabalizer no more sound in cabin and only £23 quid from parts for volvo makes a difference.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ROZER For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Saturday 11th August 2012)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Looks like poly stabiliser bushes are next for the 'Big Swede'

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Volvo now do a modified engine top mount for P2 cars. Its a square bush instead of the round one and they do not tear like the old ones used to. I removed my poly top mount, ot because of vibration but because it made the gear changes too harsh. So i fitted the upgraded oe mount and all is good. Very good infact!! Beautiful to drive and better than poly i'd say. My transmission torque mount (sml bush) is poly and stabiliser bar has the poly inserts. I find its a good set up. Not too harsh yet comfortable to drive and very responsive. No wooley handling at all!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    The thing is, with a P2 V70/S60/S80 you very quickly get used to quiet comfort. So when you introduce a vibration like that it seems to spoil it that bit more
    Bonny with just the poly large top mount vibrated alot worse than BT with full lot (top, bulkhead & both tie-bar mounts)

Thread Information