Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Fuel Pump Knackered

Hi

I was on my way to an emergency dental appointment this morning and I thought I'd stop in town to get some cash. Anyway, I parked up in a loading bay and went to the cash point before getting back in the car to drive off. I started the car up and after a second or two it stalled. Tried a restart but it wasn't firing up, just turning over and over.

I called the RAC out and he said my fuel pump is knackered. He did the electrical drain tests, checked the fuses and the wiring voltages and eventually, ended up beating the living daylights out of the top of the fuel pump until the thing inside it moved and started pumping fuel again. He advised me to drive it straight home and buy a new fuel pump or a decent second hand one, and not to drive the car in case it stops mid travel or if I park up.

Anyway, I've now had to cancel my emergency dental appointment and I'll have to wait until tomorrow to have my treatment, which also means cancelling my overtime shift at work! All that on top of only 2 hours sleep this morning makes for an absolute nightmare!

By the way, if any one has a second hand fuel pump in good working order for a 2001 V70 T5 please let me know. In the meantime, I'm gonna check out fleabay.

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    An after thought on this, I've found the car a bit 'sluggish' recently at times. I think this may explain why because if the fuel flow is reduced the engine will be running lean.

So, if any of you find your car suddenly gets a bit sluggish, try replacing the fuel pump!

Regards

James

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

kyboy (Sunday 14th October 2012),ShadeTek (Sunday 14th October 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I realised from reading that there is a pump and a sender unit! The RAC man tested the sender unit so now to be sure, I've brought a Pump (£35.50) plus a sender unit (£13.50). That way I'm covered because it'll be my luck that both have failed or the part that has failed is the opposite one to the one I brought. Should have the parts by mid week, in the meantime I'll be driving Dad's Czech!

Thread Information