Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

How to get my fuel economy to match my 2003 s60

Hi it seems there are a lot of people out there who have gone from phase 2 volvo d5 to the newer phase 3 v70 obviously I am one of them. I would also like to get back to 50mpg motoring instead of 37-38. I have also spent hours looking for the answer on the web. I hope someone on here can enlighten people like me on what to do. The new car is better in every other department than the phase 2 model and suggesting I get one is not the answer im looking for lol.
    Fingers crossed someone as the answer and can give me my missing 70-100miles per tankful I am missing. I would like someone who as had the dpf removed and a re map to answer if that's possible but I cannot find the answer online
    Thanks in advance

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Doing the DPF and a remap will help but the big factor here is that a P2 is around 1550kg and P3 V70s are about 2000kg. I imagine the old D5 would return 35mpg with 300-400kg extra weight onboard.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Martinrpeachey thanks for that answer it makes sense was hoping that wasnt the case so you think that 37-38 is all I can expect. Is there any suggestion you could make to that would be cost effective ie remap or just live with it?

Thanks
    Maybe look at your driving style?
    Most cars, petrol or deisel will go into top gear at 30-35 mph (just ton't try to go uphill or overtake lol), generally try to keep the car in as higher gear as possible with gentle presses on the throttle, keeping it nice and smooth.

How often do you reset the mpg readout?

Premium derv may help too.

Just to make you feel better - I'm lucky to get 24mpg from mine during the week lol. (it is a T5 tho )

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Believe it or not thats how I try to drive and the mileage is reset probably round the 1000 mile mark. You pay highly for performance and at those figures for your T5 it would bankrupt me lol

Thanks
    Lol, luckily we don't go far. On a run up the M-way, we get about 35mpg.

If I hammer it I get about 9 pmsl.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    oh the single figure joys of a T5 I fear ever putting my mpg to instant, but as a friend of mine once said its smiles per gallon in a t5 not miles per gallon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Tuesday 7th August 2012)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ians View Post
    Hi it seems there are a lot of people out there who have gone from phase 2 volvo d5 to the newer phase 3 v70 obviously I am one of them. I would also like to get back to 50mpg motoring instead of 37-38. I have also spent hours looking for the answer on the web. I hope someone on here can enlighten people like me on what to do. The new car is better in every other department than the phase 2 model and suggesting I get one is not the answer im looking for lol.
    Fingers crossed someone as the answer and can give me my missing 70-100miles per tankful I am missing. I would like someone who as had the dpf removed and a re map to answer if that's possible but I cannot find the answer online
    Thanks in advance
    How many miles has it done? If its pretty new it may get better the more miles it does.

Make sure the tyre pressures are correct and lots of use of the air con will bring the mpg down and i think there are now remaps specifically for economy.

Quote Originally Posted by ExternalError View Post
    oh the single figure joys of a T5 I fear ever putting my mpg to instant, but as a friend of mine once said its smiles per gallon in a t5 not miles per gallon
    My T4 had the decency of not being able to show single figure mpg, the readout couldn't show less than 11.1mpg. lol
    Unfortunatly my 540 isn't like that, nevermind though, its more fun when the cars doing 12mpg than it is at 30mpg!
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    I use the air con more than I used to as I was told if you don't use it you lose. The mileage is 118 000 so I would think it wont get much better on the mileage front and I run the tyres at 34psi all round. Who do I use for an remap and any idea on price? Im based in Burnley.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I use the air con more than I used to as I was told if you don't use it you lose. The mileage is 118 000 so I would think it wont get much better on the mileage front and I run the tyres at 34psi all round. Who do I use for an remap and any idea on price? Im based in Burnley.
    Should be well run in by now then lol
    As long as you use the a/c once or twice a week for about 10mins, you should be fine. Its when you don't use it for ages that the seals dry out so the gas escapes. No need for it to be on all the time though.

Can't help with the remap, not really got any experience with them on diesels. I'm sure someone will be able to help though.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    Have you pulled the negative off the battery for a few hours? this resets the ecu and makes the car much more efficient from the off. Then, for the next 500 miles, it's up to you - fast or frugal...
    There's only ever one answer when I do this to mine...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Never heard of this one does it do anything else as im always a bit worried messing with batteries on modern cars lol but I do believe you know your stuff could you tell me a bit more.

Thanks
    Err, All I know is that pulling the battery blanks the ecu's memory. Everything it's learned about the driving style it's been subjected to will be lost and it reverts to a base map. as you drive it, it learns what you're demands are (sudden acceloration or granny driving etc) and adjusts fueling and timing to suit.
    The later P3 stuff may be different but with mine, I pull the battery before I go on a long drive and it saves me a fiver
    Or I can pull it and drive like a nutter for a few weeks and the car becomes really aggressive and uses loads of fuel
    You're clearly not the 1st owner, perhaps the previous owner was a bit "lively" on the go pedal?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    I'd ask Adam at Readview Volvo in Huncoat about the map. He sorts my T5's out through HLM and sends the ECU down to them so you don't have to go yourself. Not sure about if he could help with the diesel though. If you want his number, let me know. Are you a Claret by the way?

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    HLM have diesel mapping listed on their website, so Adam should be your man on this, unless you fancy a trip down there yourself.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I do about 3000mls per month & if i keep below 70 & drive like a granny I can just squeeze it to 40 mpg (she is auto)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    I'd ask Adam at Readview Volvo in Huncoat about the map. He sorts my T5's out through HLM and sends the ECU down to them so you don't have to go yourself. Not sure about if he could help with the diesel though. If you want his number, let me know. Are you a Claret by the way?
    I deal with Adam at readview all the time I think he is a top bloke. I like to see Burnley do well but wouldn't call myself a fan lol

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Nice one- I'll no doubt see you there at some stage as my 3 Volvos all go to him. I'd suggest asking him about the HLM map for your car. My T5 ECU was back in about 3 days but he had a spare ECU for my car.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Germarchip View Post
    I do about 3000mls per month & if i keep below 70 & drive like a granny I can just squeeze it to 40 mpg (she is auto)
    I did similar with my 6 speed manual D5 and got 43.8mpg after not resetting the OBC for 6 months. Sold that car and now enjoy mid to high 20's from my T5's and R. I do 2-2,500/month in them.

538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks
    I run a 60 plate D5 V70 geartronic. OBC is showing 43.4.
    That's based on mixed driving and a 30 mile run into Cambridge City centre every day.
    Oh and its been polestar remapped.

Thread Information