Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Hesitation on Boost

Hi all. The old girl is running sweet now that she's back on full boost!

I have noticed however a slight hesitation whilst boosting; not much, just a little judder. Since the oversize and rebuild etc, I haven't had the RICA304 map re-checked; could this be the culprit? or could it be something simpler like HT or Plugs?

Any advice would be great.
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Latest update: 10000 miles as at 19/05/13.

To do: Lots (but don't tell Mrs Woody!)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    flywheel sensor buddy

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    flywheel sensor buddy
    Ahhh, dirty or broken?
    Last edited by woody; Tuesday 31st July 2012 at 17:08. Reason: spelling!!!!
    Owned since 2002. '96 Green 855-R, Manual M56H conversion by Russ @ RT Mech, 82mm rebore, THS Rods, Wiseco Piston kit, Decked Block, Machine work was completed by: www.mandjltd.co.uk, Refurbed head inc skim & 8 new valves, ME7 Ex Manifold, RICA304, Forge Blanking plate, 302mm set-up, PowerFlex Top & Bottom, Front Strut Brace, Miltek Cat-Back, R.I.P, IPD Cone Filter.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    flywheel sensor buddy
    A crank position sensor is an electronic device used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Hi all. The old girl is running sweet now that she's back on full boost!

I have noticed however a slight hesitation whilst boosting; not much, just a little judder. Since the oversize and rebuild etc, I haven't had the RICA304 map re-checked; could this be the culprit? or could it be something simpler like HT or Plugs?

Any advice would be great.
    Any turbo engine with a misfire on full WOT boost is 99% ignition problem , either plugs or coils. Adjust the plug gap first back to the normal setting as these wear with miles.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Wednesday 1st August 2012),woody (Tuesday 31st July 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Any turbo engine with a misfire on full WOT boost is 99% ignition problem , either plugs or coils. Adjust the plug gap first back to the normal setting as these wear with miles.
    Should I still entertain Flywheel sensor aswell?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had this with my T4 and started at the beginning and i only got as far as the plugs which i replaced with new Volvo ones and it cured my problem.

It is up to you which way you go about it but if you start at the cheapest part to replace and work through to do with ignition then go to sensors.

While the plug leads are off check the long plastic part for cracks as the spark can leak and jump across the gap to earth on the block, wrap any cracks with insulating tape and try it first before replacing, also clean any ignition wire connectors for oxidisation.

Hope this helps you?

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    As I said "A crank position sensor is an electronic device used in an internal combustion engine to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft."

The sensor tells the ECU where the piston are and at what speed they are doing.

A misfire is an ignition problem eg plugs, leads, cap or rotor arm.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am always willing to learn but is a hesitation at high boost not a misfire?

In all my years of cars a hesitation must equal a misfire as it is the engine not firing properly so it hesitates.

If you have a crank position sensor or a cam shaft sensor gone tits up then you would know it as well as having it`s own generic code and light up on the dash.

In the R club again!!

Thanks
    I have just had this on my c70 about 3k revs on full boost.
    New volvo plugs fitted today and the problem is gone.
    I recomend to try new volvo plugs first cheap(ish) and simple to try.
    dob

the true nut job
    Thanks
    try the maf...mine did the same sort of thing turnd out the maf was U,S..
    who puts 300bhp in a volvo.....DONT MIND MY SMILE, THE VOICES IN MY HEAD ARE JUST TELLING DIRTY JOKES........v70R...hids..black mesh grill...17 inch R alloys..groved and drilled front and rear disc..lots bling..,k-n filter..yamaha R1-98 with nos..touring bike honda varadero xl 1000...

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Woody If you have the car at Marham I'm uk bound on Sunday night and have many spares ins senators etc you can try. By your description I would say ignition and your more than welcome to try the new dizzy rotor arm sparks and leads in my car if you wish to confirm or rule it out.
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry Mr Moose for not replying sooner. Thanks for the kind offer but I've sorted it with a new set of volvo plugs!!!!!
    I'm on terminal leave now so it's goodbye Marham and all it's politics. Cheers all with your advice with this!

Thread Information