Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks

Question Clutch problem - gearbox specific advice please...

Hi chaps,

I have just had a clutch for an 850R put in to my manual 1996 855 T5. I have been advised that the clutches are identical as flywheels and gearboxes are all the same for the 850 models, so no differences in thichness or distance from flywheel, etc.

Problem is, I can't seem to select gear properly, especially reverse. It seems like the clutch doesn't fully release. What do people think would be most plausable -

A) the clutch has not been fitted correctly (wrong way round?)
    B) the hydraulics are having a 'mare dealing with a new clutch - master and or slave cylinder, any known problems with model?
    C) some sort of allignment issue?
    D) something else even more devastatingly expensive that I haven't even contemplated yet?

Anyone had similar problems fitting an 850R clutch to a T5?

Any advice, as always, will be most gratefully received.
    Last edited by Wally Dog; Friday 27th July 2012 at 13:48. Reason: adding info
    There's only one Wally Dog....

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    First off have they tryed bleeding the system

Thanks
    Yes - pressure blead and no change.

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    I`m running a 850R clutch with a V70 internal slave and have had no problems.

Only the forward gears have syncro`s so reverse can sometimes be difficult to engage.

What are the linkage rod bearings like ? if worn this can cause problems engaging gears

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Wally Dog (Friday 27th July 2012)

Thanks
    Strangely enough, this morning, I decided to put the car in reverse before starting the engine - the same problem was there getting it into reverse gear with the engine off. Does this change things or give any further clues?

This user has no status

Thanks
    If it`s been done at at indy garage, they probably haven`t done this procedure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dog View Post
    Strangely enough, this morning, I decided to put the car in reverse before starting the engine - the same problem was there getting it into reverse gear with the engine off. Does this change things or give any further clues?
    If you have problems putting the car in reverse with the engine off then that pionts towards the linkage/linkage bushes.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

10. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    960KG - Good skills chappie; useful stuff but I can't click on the green bit to get the description up. Don't suppose you can copy and paste the full description? Cheers.

Oblark - cheers Rob, sounds quite likely that this could be the case. If so, I'll probably end up getting that wooden gear knob from Steve that is stilll attached to the mechanism and swap the whole lot over.
    What's the difference between the V70 slave and the 850 slave - does the V70 one have a greater throw, thus lifting the clutch further off the plate??

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    The 850 is a external slave and the V70 is a internal slave.
    The reason for the internal slave is to make the pedal lighter.
    I reused my internal slave because putting it back to external slave would have ment changing the gearbox.

Steve wants £100 for the gear knob that`s if he doesn`t do a manual coversion on his 854 T5R

13. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've been trying to find a diagram of the gear change linkage and I'm stumped!

What does the linkage consist of?
    To put back to 'as new' condition, what bits do I need to replace?
    How easy is this replacement/rennovation?

Many thanks

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    If it all worked fine before its pointless changing the linkage as obviously some this has gone wrong since the work was carried out make sure the linkage is connected to the brackets correctly also I don't know if it can be done as never tryed it but have a look to see if there the wrong way round I.e in the wrong holder if all of that us fine I would the concentrate of the clutch for and how its pivating

16. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't suppose anyone has a diagram to show the correct positioning of the linkage connections???

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    How does the clutch feel ? eg does it feel the same as before or is it stiffer ?

Can you get someone to pump the clutch pedal so you can watch the slave arm moving ?

Thanks
    Feels much lighter than before the works started and no, not yet - got a full weekend planned ahead!!

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Feels much lighter than before the works started and no, not yet - got a full weekend planned ahead!!
    If you want we could meet up either on Monday or Thrusday evening and I`ll have a look at the clutch/linkage

Thanks
    Mate, that would be blinding as I really don't know where to start and if something looks out of place or not!

Problem is, I'm all booked up until I get married now - Monday night with a dance instructor to sort out the first dance, Tuesday my mates are all taking me out, Wednesday is dinner with the 'rents, Thursday I'm out for a couple of jars with my mate who lives in Turkey and is back for the wedding, Friday I've got another mate from Edinburgh staying and Saturday is the beginning of the rest of my life!!

The problem is driveable, I just hope I don't do any permanent damage before I can get it looked at! Again, a most generous offer but I sadly have to decline.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wally Dog For This Useful Post:

oblark (Friday 27th July 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sounds to me if it still isn't bled through properly. Clutch slaves can be an absolute nightmare to bleed. It's just taken me half a day to get a decent pedal on a BMW 320d with an external slave, you can't always get them to bleed by pedal pumping like you do with brakes, plus the fact that the clutch takes it's fluid from the very top of the brake master cylinder so it's very easy to run the top part out of fluid and pump air into the system. I ended up fitting a coolant pressure tester to the reservoir and pumping a few psi into it then bleeding it through. Even then it took a good few goes to get a pedal. The pedal shouldn't be over light, you need to get someone to look at the slave push-rod whilst you operate the clutch.
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

Wally Dog (Wednesday 1st August 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  156.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  135.5 KB
    960KG - Good skills chappie; useful stuff but I can't click on the green bit to get the description up. Don't suppose you can copy and paste the full description? Cheers.
    I hope you solve the problem without resorting to this. But this is the method used by Volvo mechanics when replacing clutches. It is the same with the X40 series with manual boxes, quite a common problem

I hope this helps?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Wally Dog (Wednesday 1st August 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just a thought, can you actually engage forward gears with the engine off ?
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

This user has no status

Thanks
    Is your brake fluid resevoir filled upto the max mark? I found out the clutch runs off the top 1/4 of the resevoir when i couldnt engage mny clutch. My tank was next to empty and it took some serious pumping to get the clutch to work again. Could be the fluid needs changing if you havent done it already also.

Thread Information