Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Looking to buy S40 D5 R-line Sport 2008...

Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum, and I am looking to buy S40 D5 in manual. What should I look out for when viewing and taking it for a test drive? How much should I pay for the R-Line S40 with 80K on the clock, on a 2008 plate?

What sort of mods can I do to the car? I am planning to do this on the car 19' wheels, coilvers, exhaust system, decat pipe, stage 3 remap from RICA. I have spoken to them, and they told me I do not need to fit any aftermarket engine mods, a stage 3 remap will be fine on the S40. RICA stage 3 remap will take the S40 D5 to 256 BHP, 450 NM of torque for £720 inc VAT.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Zeb, it was me you spoke with.

Stage 3 = 253 hp / 548 Nm.

You definitely don't need to do any other mods. It's worth noting that the higher the mileage, the more wear and tear the car will have so you will have less life remaining in the various components. That said, the Euro 4 D5 engines and transmissions are extremely strong, so you shouldn't have any of the problems that were associated with the older Euro 3 models.

Adam.
    ======================================
    My current car: Volvo V60 D3 R-Design (Saville Grey)

Turbo-Tuner USB
    http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk

RICA ECU Upgrades
    http://www.rica-uk.com

RICA on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RI...77897022224267

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    if you have a decat then you'll have to know a friendly mot station otherwise it won't pass the mot. One word of warning, if you fit 19s and have coilovers then you could have a very harsh ride
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hey Adam,

I'm just hoping my car sell's soon so I can start to view a few S40 D5 I have done alot of mods to my current car, with coilovers and 19' wheels so I'm not too worried about the harsh ride, I can live with that. I have heard Shark90 peformance a company based somewhere up north, do Miltek Exhaust system for £500 for Volvo S40 D5 models, this is on my to do list, I know a mechanic where he can pass the MOT with decat pipe. I don't need to worry too much pn fitting a decat pipe, as it will pass it's MOT anyway.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Dont need a cat on a diesel to pass mot. There is no emisions test. Just smoke test

6. The Following User Says Thank You to graemewelch For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Thursday 26th July 2012)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I bought a S40 R-Design 2.0L last year for the wife. The handling is awesome.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    There's a lovely black one with nice wheels near my work, I keep meaning to take a pic...

Evining Dave, Hows the family
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all,

I have planned alot of thing's for my next project car, i am hoping to get in white or black, Otherwise I will vinyl wrap the in White. Martin can you please take a few pics of the S40?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've had a black S40 T5 since January and I love it !!!, The only real weakspots I was told to look for were wheel bearings and front bushes, & wishbone bushes are a known weak point and go arould 50-70k, luckily the garage I got mine from spent £700 on it doing the afore mentioned jobs & a few other things so its been all good. You Sometimes get issue with the connector block on the passenger door, this will make the Ambient Air temp read funny, like -10 or -30 which is a fairly easy fix depending on which type of connector you have change a few times during the life of the Range. Other thing to mention if possible I would go for an SE lux or SE sport trim the two tone interior in the R Designs are a nightmare, the seats in the other halfs 2008 C30 look in worse condition that my 2005 with 50k more miles on (I have the full black leather in mine)

I have to say I've had mine on 18's with the sport suspension and it was ok but I would'nt want to go any bigger, especially if you getting coilovers too, I went for a plain eggcrate grill on mine to makes it look a little meaner....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:

Zeb (Tuesday 31st July 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Looking very nice, I think I will get one in black No buyers for my current car yet still on for sale...I am selling my BBS LM's reps 19' with tyres for £650 if anyone is interested? What's the worse case scenerio with coilovers and 19' wheels on S40? Most S40 I've seen online come's with 2 tone leathers, can't seem to find one with black or cream leathers. I suppose I can fit aftermarket bushes and bearings, I think they are called pollybushes??? Even though you've mentioned about not to get 2 tone leathers, I will probably get the 2 tone leathers anyway.

I've seen 2 on gumtree...heres the link:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...n-24/101306947

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...r-24/100790081

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    I have the estate v50 t5 done my front end bushes but no wheel bearings yet, apart from no where to rest your clutch foot when cruising its my Favorite drivers Volvo i have owned by far and unless i win the euro and buy one of the limited addition polestar s60 i cant see it changing, nice 6 speed box great handling nice steering pleanty of tunning potential mines running 300 bhp and 350 lbft and is a real stealthy bit of kit and reasnoble running costs overall.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status
    Thanks
    To honest i wasn't saying don't get the 2 tone just more about being aware of what a nightmare it is, you`ll not get the full leather in an r design, but an se lux or se sport should have the full leather, the se sport also get the bodykit

15. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:

Zeb (Saturday 4th August 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    HHhmmmm....I thought R design came with full leathers, that's a downside for me, will link into SE Sport. Do they come with heated seats?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I know when my girlfriend got her C30 we looked at loads and all the r designs had the special edition interior white/black, the SE Lux had the full leather and heated seats but no bodykits, and the SE sports had the full leather and bodykit then some had heated seats some didn't presume it will be the same on the s40's

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I'm just interested in why your going for a d5 to do a project on and not a t5?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sorry for the late reply, just got rid of my car last week after a long wait of 2 months. I've found a D5 R-design in black for £6600 ONO, it's fully loaded with 100K miles, based in Nottingham. I have responded just waiting for his reply on the price I offered him. Reason I'm buying a D5 cause it will be cheaper in fuel, insurance, and road tax. I'v driven a D5 in the past, and that grumble noise from the engine made me want to buy the D5.

The car is gear tronic, is there anything I should ask the seller? Is there any problems I should look out for on D5 engine snd gearbox?

Thanks
    The slushbox on the phase 3 cars breaks after 80 or so K miles, worth asking about transmission servicing (that applies to P2 and P3 slushboxes, for different reasons)

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks, i will get in touch with the seller and ask about the slushbox service. I assume it will cost and arm and a leg to replace the slushbox?

Heres the link of the ad, http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...und/1002447706

Thanks
    Arm, leg and possibly an internal organ or two.

Will look at the link now...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks
    Sexy car tho, I can see why you're interested.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information