Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel Wobbles

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Wheel Wobbles

Hi

I've discovered a slightly worrying problem today and I think I know what the problem is but I want to pick some brains.....

I was driving to work today and I was getting a vibration through the sterring wheel all of a sudden, and then the wheel started to wobble slightly from side to side. I pulled over, got out to check the tyres and the wheels in general and it looked all ok. I got back in the car, pulled away and the problem had gone away but later returned in a mild form later in the journey a couple of times.

Driving home tonight, I got the problem again from time to time, but at one point I was on a dual carriageway and as I began to slow down (I wasn't braking just rolling to a gradual stop from 60 (ish) mph, the wheel started to shake from side to side again and I could feel coming up through the car and through my seat and leg that was resting against the side of the dash. I then braked to a crawl at the roundabout and the problem seemed to stop before, again, returning in a milder format later in the journey.

My guesses as to the cause are:

1) Wheel Bearing beginning to fail (this could be serious I know)

2) Worn bushes contributing to vibration

3) Wheel balancing is out (i.e., a balance weight has come off a wheel)

4) Engine Mount Bushing is worn allowing sideways movement of the engine that then effects the steering

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice here but my best guess is the wheel bearings. Incidentally, there is no obvious noise coming from anywhere either during or before and after the problem occurs, at least no noise I can hear anyway. (If that helps).

Regards

James

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Might sound stupid but are the wheel nuts tight?

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Bearing or worn cv on driveshaft. If its the cv it will go away when you dip clutch

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Might sound stupid but are the wheel nuts tight?
    Tight? Oh yes, ATS had to use a massive torque wrench to get them off and they torqued them up good and proper when they put the wheels on. I had all 4 done at the same time about 3 - 4 months ago. The problem seems to be very unpredictable and random at the moment too. If the nuts were slightly loose, then my guess is the problem would be constant rather than intermittent?

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Bearing or worn cv on driveshaft. If its the cv it will go away when you dip clutch
    Interesting you say that because I tried putting the clutch down and the vibration/movement was still there, so maybe it's something less evil? I think I need to try that test again a couple of times to be absolutely certain.

This user has no status

Thanks
    perhaps something to do with inner or outer cv.

This user has no status

Thanks
    does it happen at same speed or different?

This user has no status

Thanks
    perhaps the shaft is slightly bent and as you go quicker it stops and as you slow down again it comes back.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd jack it up and check the wheel for play (hands on opposite sides and see if the wheel moves to bottom) if so my guess wheel bearing, but more often that comes with its own unique noise which gets louder with speed.

Then I'd take the wheel off and have a proper look at the boots, joints, brakes etc etc - there's no sub' for a good nosey.

As for wheel balance, I'd swap it over with the back or your spare and see if there's a difference.

good luck
    "Just for once, let me look at your Volvo with my own eyes."

This user has no status

Thanks
    tracking

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by childs3787 View Post
    does it happen at same speed or different?
    Speed doesn't seem to be relevant when it happens, it's happened at higher and lower speeds and seems to get more pronounced as I slow down to lower speeds. Very odd!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    tracking
    I've thought of this and did the 'drift test' and there's no significant drift so I'm confident the tracking isn't the main cause. Saying that, there is never any harm getting the tracking checked anyway, at any time.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Could be play in drop links....
    Just had mine done, along with track rod ends, Similar thing.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Interesting progress today. I noticed at 5 o'clock this morning when I first set off there was virtually no wobble at all. After I'd been running on the road for a while the problem started to surface again and tonight, coming home from work the problem seemed to be there from the word go. So......

That supports the theory that it's related to the wheel nuts because I worked out that as the alloy heated up, either by the heat of the day and/or the heat from the tyres, it expanded and allowed some movement of the wheel nuts.

It felt it like it was coming from the left hand side of the car but when I got home, I got out my (warped) wheel brace and even with that, I managed to get 3 or 4 of the nuts on the front drivers side wheel, to tighten up slightly. I checked all the other 3 wheels and couldn't get any movement on trying to tighten them. Mind you, my wheel brace is pretty bet out of shape!

I haven't managed to torque them correctly, I'll get that done at ATS (who fitted my 4 new tyres back in April/May), and also get them to double check the balancing and just give the underside a once over to see if they can see anything else obvious. I've got N2 in my tyres so I'll get the pressures done whilst I'm there too - it's only £4.

I'll update on here tomorrow night to see if my tightening of the wheel nuts has made any difference at all.

Regards

James

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It wont be out of balance. It would wobble all the time. Have you checked the hub nuts. Any blebs on yr tyres.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    It wont be out of balance. It would wobble all the time. Have you checked the hub nuts. Any blebs on yr tyres.
    The tyres look absolutely fine, no uneven wear and nothing to suggest the tyres are at fault in anyway.

I also did the de-clutch during the wobble and the wobble continued whether the clutch was engaged or not. So I can rule out CV joints/wheel bearings I hope?

I'm really hoping my tightening of the nuts on the drivers side will dramtically reduce the problem. Not only is the wobble a bit unsettling but it's also quite uncomfortable. It feels like the whole car is wobbling from side to side and bumping very slightly up and down.

Regards

James

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It wont rule out a bearing. But yes rules out cv. Its the tyre walls id check. Loose wheel nuts would knock loudly.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Drive shaft/cv joint. Or Bulge on tire. Check them out closely
    Bubba

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    perhaps the shaft is slightly bent and as you go quicker it stops and as you slow down again it comes back.

It's these sort of reply's we can do without! If the drive shaft was bent he'd know about it.

If you don't know or are just guessing, then please, just don't say anything.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    James

N2....seriously? ATS are rubbing there hands each time you visit mate, lol, i fill my tyres with air and it costs £0.

Anyway, i digress, this intermittant 'wobble' your getting. I had a similar thing with mine. Obviously with an R there's more to consider, propshafts bearings for one, but in your case it sounds very strongly like you got a worn CV outer.
    As long as you've done the basics, checked tyre pressures are even, wheel alignment, wheel nuts are torqued to 110Nm, wheel bearings (check top to bottom), then there's not alot else you can do mate.

I personally would take the car to an Indy and get them to go over the front suspension and check everything (but don't tell them about the wobble). Just tell them you want a 'piece of mind' inspection and could they check everything!! Bushes, shafts, bearings, CV's (inner and outer), alighnment, tyres, etc.

A new CV outer is about £70ea. Only get oe as pattern parts on these have been known to be nothing less than crap!
    If you ever get to look at a NEW cv you'll be amazed that they are so stiff! Compared to your worn CV's that will flop about like a wet fish. I didn't pi*s about with mine. Just had both front CV's replaced and guess what....no more wobble.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information