Join Today

Thread: What is good??

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks

What is good??

New to Forum, thanks to all who welcomed me.
    Also new to Volvo. 2005 V70 T5 2.4.
    My question is........................

How should a well sorted, well damped, tight and healthy V70 T5 drive/ride/handle/sound, etc.
    This may seem like a strange question, but having never owned a Volvo before and having never driven a new one, I don't know.

Reading loads of threads, alot of people have noises from suspension, wobbly wheels, creaking, and various other common ailments. Is this just 'How They Are?', or should they be whisper quiet and solidly planted.

The reason I ask is that I want my car to be spot on (as far as cash allows!) so need a marker to start against and something to aim for.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Where abouts are you? If you're nearby, I'll happily take you out in mine and give you a good benchmark.

In short, you will know it's heavy - throw it at a corner and it'll roll a bit and feel a bit "detached", do anything stupid, it'll step in and cut the throttle and adjust braking.
    Improved bushes, new shocks and strut tops make a big difference, as does good tyres.
    Knocks and rattles should be diagnosed and dealt-with as they shouldn't be there.
    Motorway driving should be as quiet as you would get in a merc or beemer.

Hope this helps a bit
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Where abouts are you? If you're nearby, I'll happily take you out in mine and give you a good benchmark.

In short, you will know it's heavy - throw it at a corner and it'll roll a bit and feel a bit "detached", do anything stupid, it'll step in and cut the throttle and adjust braking.
    Improved bushes, new shocks and strut tops make a big difference, as does good tyres.
    Knocks and rattles should be diagnosed and dealt-with as they shouldn't be there.
    Motorway driving should be as quiet as you would get in a merc or beemer.

Hope this helps a bit
    Cheers for that M-R-P.
    I am in Norfolk, bit of a trek!!
    ''Improved bushes, new shocks and strut tops make a big difference, as does good tyres'' Ahh, the dreaded shocks. I have 4C and My God, they aint cheap!! Bushes and strut tops could be good though. I think I have a bit of general sloppiness and looseness in the chassis which would be helped by doing that. The knocks and rattles seem to afflict most people judging by the threads I have read. I suspect everything underneath on mine is original and a bit tired.
    I suppose I need to get myself to a good mechanical level and then concentrate on the unnecesary stuff like remaps and various upgrades!!!!

If I am ever down your neck of the woods, would love to see what a proper one goes/stops/rides/sounds like.

Thanks
    Well mine's definately not the fastest, or the loudest but she goes fast, sounds nice and stops on a button but above all, she's well sorted.
    Some sound effects... (49 seconds on...)

This is without a remap and before I sorted the boost spikes. I have a cone filter and no soundproofing in the bonnet.
    Last edited by M-R-P; Tuesday 2nd October 2012 at 22:34.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks
    4c? ouch! I often wonder if it's worth the money. Although, if the shocks are anything like the standard ones, they last 80-100k. (mine did 183k lol)

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Well mine's definately not the fastest, or the loudest but she goes fast, sounds nice and stops on a button but above all, she's well sorted.
    Some sound effects... (49 seconds on...)

This is without a remap and before I sorted the boost spikes. I have a cone filter and no soundproofing in the bonnet.
    Haa!! I. Have. To. Have. That. Sound. How have you got that noise? Amazing!!

I noticed that you always wait until you are more or less in a straight line before you unleash the boost!
    This is where I am going to empty my bank account, by doing mods like this!

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    4c? ouch! I often wonder if it's worth the money. Although, if the shocks are anything like the standard ones, they last 80-100k. (mine did 183k lol)
    There's the problem. I am on 106k!! Was hoping I could bolt on standards and save myself a packet. Doubt that very much.

Thanks
    Lol, your car already makes those noises. They're just hidden by the air filter box, air filter and the soundproofing in the bonnet. The woosh you hear is the recirc valve dumping into the air inlet (as opposed to the tssst dump valve sound you get from an external valve dumping to atmosphere - which you can't do with our cars as the engine management goes nuts )
    I can hurl it into bends and she's surprisingly agile but if I remember correctly, I had beer on the back seat when I filmed that vid lol.

not sure how you'd get round the 4c ting. not something I've had to worry about

do things like wishbone bushes first, engine mounts and strut brace tensioners get the cheap stuff out the way first before you empty your wallet lol.
    Last edited by M-R-P; Tuesday 2nd October 2012 at 23:04.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thanks

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    I agree. I want my car to be mechanically sound and then do the good stuff.
    Got her booked in with my local Indie tomorrow. Full service, cambelt, thorough checkover and ask him to draw up a list of what needs doing. That might be a bit depressing!!
    I will tackle most things if there are 'how to' guides on here. One thing I have noticed, those Swedes like thier Torx bolts. Need to go out and buy a set!

When the time comes and if you don't mind, I would like your guidance on getting my baby to sound like your baby. That was the mutts nuts!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post

When the time comes and if you don't mind, I would like your guidance on getting my baby to sound like your baby. That was the mutts nuts!!
    Lol Thanks
    it really is just a big cone filter and no soundproofing. The car does the rest. I couldn't believe it
    and If you get bored, you can get busy with the rattle-cans...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Rattle-cans?

Thanks
    Spray paint

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Flying Moose is over in your neck of the woods, or have a nice day out to the Essex meet if you want someone to give your car a check over

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

Thread Information