Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

850 T5 ECU Location

Hi all, Can anyone tell me the location of the E.C.U on my 1996 Volvo 850 T5 please.
    pretty sure it needs replacing all that remains to be done is to test the feeds in and out to confirm but ive had the plenum cover off and theres no E.C.U there....
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheer
    Neil

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfooty View Post
    Hi all, Can anyone tell me the location of the E.C.U on my 1996 Volvo 850 T5 please.
    pretty sure it needs replacing all that remains to be done is to test the feeds in and out to confirm but ive had the plenum cover off and theres no E.C.U there....
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheer
    Neil
    Hi, it`s in here....

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    Hi, it`s in here....

Superb... many thanks for the help....So will have to remove that security bolt....
    Are you aware of any problems in replacing the ECU? Will i need the same part number as the old one or are they pretty much standard and interchangeable between most T5's?

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Superb... many thanks for the help....So will have to remove that security bolt....
    Are you aware of any problems in replacing the ECU? Will i need the same part number as the old one or are they pretty much standard and interchangeable between most T5's?
    I think only the 96 ECU will fit as the early ones dont have the OBD2 socket.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Thanks
    I've got an old one from a manual car if you want/need another. Older ones have the diagnostics socket under the bonnet near the fuse box somewhere, wheras newer ones (OBD II) have the socket under the coin holder in front of the gear stick.

Also, is your car manual or auto - as autos have an extra ECU for the auto box in the same location, so you have to change the correct one.
    There's only one Wally Dog....

This user has no status

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Wally Dog;524506]I've got an old one from a manual car if you want/need another. Older ones have the diagnostics socket under the bonnet near the fuse box somewhere, wheras newer ones (OBD II) have the socket under the coin holder in front of the gear stick.

QUOTE]

Diagnostic socket beside coin holder from 96 model year N reg.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    inside the box there are 3 ecu slots moulded into the base, the engine ecu is in the middle slot

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    [QUOTE=Jimmie;524638]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dog View Post
    I've got an old one from a manual car if you want/need another. Older ones have the diagnostics socket under the bonnet near the fuse box somewhere, wheras newer ones (OBD II) have the socket under the coin holder in front of the gear stick.

QUOTE]

Diagnostic socket beside coin holder from 96 model year N reg.
    Are you sure about that?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Thanks
    Yep, I have 2 N reg 855 T5's - one is older type and one is newer type. Older type also has an extra ECU bolted to the right hand turret - something to do with the ABS I think. And the OBD II socket is UNDER, not beside the coin holder.
    There's only one Wally Dog....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wally Dog For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 16th July 2012)

Ghost Rider
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Yep, I have 2 N reg 855 T5's - one is older type and one is newer type. Older type also has an extra ECU bolted to the right hand turret - something to do with the ABS I think. And the OBD II socket is UNDER, not beside the coin holder.
    Check the Bosch numbers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes you are correct you remove (lift it out)the coin holder.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 16th July 2012)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Hello what problems are you having to make you thing the ecu need replacing

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all, many thanks for the help.....the car is a non starter, the engine cranks but wont catch, i changed the coil pack as there is no spark, new coil pack doesnt produce a spark either, checked cam shaft position sensor, no signal from that so replaced that, still no joy, took it to work (Volkswagen dealer) and the techy there says that after probing and testing it can only be the ECU but now we need to get hold of a reliable flow diagram for the inputs e.t.c for the ecu. Ive downloaded one off the net but its not the right one for my car, it says its for a 1996 t5 but its not right....can anyone supply a reliable current flow diagram for my car??

This user has no status

Thanks

Also, is your car manual or auto - as autos have an extra ECU for the auto box in the same location, so you have to change the correct one.
    Hi, yeah its the newer 'n' reg 1996, the ODB plug is under the coin tray, its an auto....

If in doubt thrash it and see
    what happens
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Hi all, many thanks for the help.....the car is a non starter, the engine cranks but wont catch, i changed the coil pack as there is no spark, new coil pack doesnt produce a spark either, checked cam shaft position sensor, no signal from that so replaced that, still no joy, took it to work (Volkswagen dealer) and the techy there says that after probing and testing it can only be the ECU but now we need to get hold of a reliable flow diagram for the inputs e.t.c for the ecu. Ive downloaded one off the net but its not the right one for my car, it says its for a 1996 t5 but its not right....can anyone supply a reliable current flow diagram for my car??
    For £35 I would just go and get the codes read. They will tell you if there is a sensor or wiring fault, or indeed if the ECu has gone AWOL.

You could spend that in replacing perfectly good parts, and how much value would you put on your time?

Woz

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    For £35 I would just go and get the codes read. They will tell you if there is a sensor or wiring fault, or indeed if the ECu has gone AWOL.

You could spend that in replacing perfectly good parts, and how much value would you put on your time?

Woz
    Codes were read, the only fault stored was for the throttle position sensor......

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Check for broken wires going to the relay under the top radiator plastic cover (four wires I think) these are bent back on themselves as they enter the relay plug and rot through. What you are describing (no cam signal, no spark) is exactly what I had when the wiring to that relay rotted through and stranded me in The Lakes !
    Old Car: 855 T5 in Grey and rust (dead and gone, well, most of it !
    Missus' ride: Citroen C4 coupe 1.6 HDi,
    Modifications: Nowt.....yet !
    Daily driver: 855 R in Black,
    Currently nursing a blown head gasket, new engine on its way !
    Recent addition: Freshly imported Honda Stepwagon,
    Slowly turning into a camper van !

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

ncfooty (Wednesday 25th July 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks bananas, ill have a look today....

Thread Information