Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

740 turbo 3 inch down pipe?

Hi guys, i was thinking of fitting a 3 inch downpipe and would like to know if there would be any gains in power, and also if it could cause turbo seal leaks due to low exhaust backpressure?
    Julian

Våga Vägra 16V
    Thanks
    What turbo you using?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by julek780 View Post
    Hi guys, i was thinking of fitting a 3 inch downpipe and would like to know if there would be any gains in power, and also if it could cause turbo seal leaks due to low exhaust backpressure?
    Julian
    The gains will be considerably. With less backpressure the turbo spools up faster, meaning you got more usable torque down low, but also more hp in the higher revvs.
    There are no issues with seals leaking due to low exhaust backpressure, unless they were leaking allready.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Where are you getting this downpipe? I'm after one myself

This user has no status

Thanks
    I might be wrong but Im pretty sure that a bigger exhaust sacrificed lower down torque for hight bhp.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've got a full 3 inch exhaust on mine. Standard is 2.25. There's no point just putting a 3 inch downpipe on, get a full length sytem with free flow cat( if fitted). I 've got a spare one that's a bit rough, conical fit 2.25. opening out to 3 you can have cheap. It's part of an overall upgrade really.

under the bonnet
    Thanks
    On mine I'm fitting a 3'' downpipe then 2.5 from DP back, I'm going from a 3'' to 2.5 because the mods i'm planning won't justify a full 3'' system yet

look up 'JT avgasteknik' for quality 3'' exhaust bits.

Exhaust depends on what modifications you plan now or for the future. I'm going for a 19t turbo, cossie injectors, TLAO chips therefore I can justify a 3'' DP for when the gt35 turbo is fitted
    945 - being fettled
    nissan cube -

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    On mine I'm fitting a 3'' downpipe then 2.5 from DP back, I'm going from a 3'' to 2.5 because the mods i'm planning won't justify a full 3'' system yet

look up 'JT avgasteknik' for quality 3'' exhaust bits.

Exhaust depends on what modifications you plan now or for the future. I'm going for a 19t turbo, cossie injectors, TLAO chips therefore I can justify a 3'' DP for when the gt35 turbo is fitted
    Nice and a gt35 that should go well mate .the seems to be alot of 940s being modded this year we will have to get them all down to a track meet or drag meet that would be good.
    Last edited by smithy; Tuesday 29th January 2013 at 13:36.

under the bonnet
    Thanks
    A track meet would be great fun. Volvo's have a big presence in England but over here I keep getting asked why I don't run the car in a destruction derby [my pet hate]. I'm looking foward to embarrassing a few 'hot' hatches and porsches too

Any tips for lightening a 940? I can't go down the stripped interior route yet as I want it to remain a sleeper
    945 - being fettled
    nissan cube -

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A track meet would be great fun. Volvo's have a big presence in England but over here I keep getting asked why I don't run the car in a destruction derby [my pet hate]. I'm looking foward to embarrassing a few 'hot' hatches and porsches too

Any tips for lightening a 940? I can't go down the stripped interior route yet as I want it to remain a sleeper
    They arnt that heavy mate and if you have aircon take it out .and then up the power and also check what axle ratio you have too .the best allrounder is a 3.73 axle ratio .i have a 1041k 3.73 off a 960 I am fitting in mine.i had a 1041 3.31 axle and with that I could get a 13.9 quater no probs .and that was with a t cam lol.

under the bonnet
    Thanks
    Take the aircon out? I have thought about it but what would it entail? I know the condensing unit is blocking the intercooler which made me think about relocating it to behind the main radiator
    945 - being fettled
    nissan cube -

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Take the aircon out? I have thought about it but what would it entail? I know the condensing unit is blocking the intercooler which made me think about relocating it to behind the main radiator
    If it don't work mate then I would take it out .you have pm

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
    I've got a full 3 inch exhaust on mine. Standard is 2.25. There's no point just putting a 3 inch downpipe on, get a full length sytem with free flow cat( if fitted). I 've got a spare one that's a bit rough, conical fit 2.25. opening out to 3 you can have cheap. It's part of an overall upgrade really.

how cheap is cheap. i might be intrested

Thread Information