Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Auto box please read

Hi every one I posted a thread a few Weeks ago to say I had some gearbox problems on my 2.4t v70, anyway it was slipping or flaring between 2/3 gear change, sometimes would not engage drive at all and had harsh gear changes throughout the gear changes esspesialy when down shifting, but when I put my foot down all seemed fine as it only seemed to do it when driven like a granny, I checked the gearbox oil and to be honest this looked ok and was still reasonably red, I read all the posts about gearbox problems and started to think the worse, I booked it in to my local Volvo garage to have it checked over who found nothing wrong with box at all, but it still had the stop neutral function programmed into it which I also felt as I set off from a standstill, so i ask them could they do a tcm software upgrade to which they have and now the car feels like a totally different car, it's super smooth through all the changes I can't even feel it change gear now it's exellent, I have done nothing else to it I havnt changed the oil or the b4 servo cover it's just had a software upgrade that's it, and at £60 was well worth the investment, I have written this as time and time again I read problems on forums but never any definitive solutions as to what's cured the problems they have, well my suggestion is if you have any gearbox issues try the tcm upgrade first as so far it's worked on my v70, my v70 has the 50/55sn gearbox to which the Volvo mechanic said it's very very rare these boxes have any serious issues, which makes me think how many v70s have been scraped or sold because of gearbox niggles?
    Last edited by greeleyt5; Wednesday 4th July 2012 at 15:56.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greeleyt5 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Friday 6th July 2012),iancho (Friday 6th July 2012),M-R-P (Wednesday 4th July 2012),PHIL V70R (Wednesday 4th July 2012),vaderboyo (Friday 6th July 2012)

Clueless about Cars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 747 Posts
    Great news! pleased to read you cured your probem... always very worrying when it is the gearbox. Thats my biggest worry with mine, if it were to ever fail. What year is your car?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hi I had this done on my s60r Volvo did the oil change and the software up date on the gearbox ,I was told at the time the software allows for the oil age in the box and the software update should only be done with a oil change and then reteach the box the change points this needs to be done on a long flat road,this reteaching can only be started when it's on the Volvo reader DICE .

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi my v70 is a 2000 model with 114000 miles although I think I was jumping the gun a little to quick to say it was/is completely cured, after 4 days of driving it I've noticed that slowly but surely these little niggles seem to be coming back, I've read somewhere that these gearboxes need to be programed in a certain way or the problems persist I dont think this has been done, having the stop neutral function removed has improved the box ten fold but it's stll far from perfect, I had the occasional shift flair maybe once a week but it was getting on my nerves, anyway since the reprogram and removal of the stop neutral function it does it everyday now but seems to do it alot smoother if that makes any sense, I'm not sure what to do now about it, do I keep throwing money at it that I havnt got or do I just buy a manual as I do love my volvos, I just find it hard to believe that the gearbox is knackerd because how can a gearbox shift perfectly smooth with no flaring knocking or anything for 2 days then slowly start reverting back to how it was with nothing more than a reprogram? It's shifted gears perfect for 2 days and about 200 milles added to it, I think this maybe a software problem I'm convinced of it, any help or suggestions guys would be very much appreciated.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greeleyt5 View Post
    Hi my v70 is a 2000 model with 114000 miles although I think I was jumping the gun a little to quick to say it was/is completely cured, after 4 days of driving it I've noticed that slowly but surely these little niggles seem to be coming back, I've read somewhere that these gearboxes need to be programed in a certain way or the problems persist I dont think this has been done, having the stop neutral function removed has improved the box ten fold but it's stll far from perfect, I had the occasional shift flair maybe once a week but it was getting on my nerves, anyway since the reprogram and removal of the stop neutral function it does it everyday now but seems to do it alot smoother if that makes any sense, I'm not sure what to do now about it, do I keep throwing money at it that I havnt got or do I just buy a manual as I do love my volvos, I just find it hard to believe that the gearbox is knackerd because how can a gearbox shift perfectly smooth with no flaring knocking or anything for 2 days then slowly start reverting back to how it was with nothing more than a reprogram? It's shifted gears perfect for 2 days and about 200 milles added to it, I think this maybe a software problem I'm convinced of it, any help or suggestions guys would be very much appreciated.
    Hi the gearbox will adapt it self to learn how you drive,as you have had a reprogram done but not a oil change done this might not help the box.
    There is a way that the gearbox is taught how to change up & down so all the changes are correct but this can only be done when the system is placed into teaching mode and driven in a certain way to teach it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi, i have similiar issues with my gearbox but being geartronic. i am trying to find the correct fluid to do an oil change and dont think dextron 2 will do it!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by argyllt5 View Post
    hi, i have similiar issues with my gearbox but being geartronic. i am trying to find the correct fluid to do an oil change and dont think dextron 2 will do it!
    Just get the Volvo stuf cost a bit but then you know it's the right stuf.
    Ps don't remove the big hex nut at the top of the box you will lose 3rd gear if you do . you need to use the oil cooler line,don't ask me which one as I can't remember to flush the box.loads of info how to do it.

This user has no status

Thanks
    pulled the pipe at the top of the oil cooler.started the car and watched 2.5 lts pump out. bought some gearbox oil from the local factors as i thought to try it 70/90 gl4/5 equivalant i think. still slipping...badly when the box is warm/hot. it got stuck in 4th gear on the way back from glasgow today. had to turn the car off and back on again so i could select 'D' or up and down the gears manually!!
    i think im going to have to get another box!!

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    AW55-50 are okay but once they start giving problems, it's a nightmare. In OP's case, it's the valve-body which is clogged up or worn. You need to replace it but if you know a good auto-trans mechanic, he might try to clean some of the solenoid valves for you. A new valve-body would be the answer if problem persist even after the solenoid cleaning. After replacement, check if the ATF is contaminated with engine coolant

This user has no status

Thanks
    car is now sorted!! got a second hand geartronic box from a volvo breaker in york. tim wright. cost me £225 plus £75 carriage. gearbox had 100k on it, my gubbed one had 122k !!!

the charge from the garage was £500 including the volvo gearbox oil.

They took the car for a test drive and didnt put the bonnet down properly!!! so you can imagine the consiquenses. NOT HAPPY ;-((((

SO MY £500 BILL IS NO MORE.;-)) Got a new bonnet from huddersfield volvo breakers for £100 delivered. saved £400 haha oh and had to buy a £9.50 wiper lol

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by argyllt5 View Post
    car is now sorted!! got a second hand geartronic box from a volvo breaker in york. tim wright. cost me £225 plus £75 carriage. gearbox had 100k on it, my gubbed one had 122k !!!

the charge from the garage was £500 including the volvo gearbox oil.

They took the car for a test drive and didnt put the bonnet down properly!!! so you can imagine the consiquenses. NOT HAPPY ;-((((

SO MY £500 BILL IS NO MORE.;-)) Got a new bonnet from huddersfield volvo breakers for £100 delivered. saved £400 haha oh and had to buy a £9.50 wiper lol
    lol well done mate, all come good for you in the end

This user has no status

Thanks
    well chuffed. although the bonnet huddersfield volvo breakers sent me was not 'just lightly scratched in places'

it was gouged,scraped and dented!

there now sending another one up, with a nice alloy wheel as a good wheel ' gesture as mine is cracking and letting air out.

evryone elses mistakes have been to our advantage this week haha

Thread Information