Join Today
    This user has no statues
    Thanks

P1 V70 dual climate/aircon malfunction

Was working this morning fine enough (aircon doesn't work anyway, as is usual) then set off this afternoon after visiting parents and nothing came out, picked up daughter from school and they came on but then went off and the orange lights started flashing. Took a vid on my phone and uploaded it to YouTube.
    Any idea what's wrong? First thought was a fuse but rules that out since the lights came on.. I'm stumped..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RlOhC7rnHg[/ame]
    Not a '97 V70 T-5 CD Auto, Black, Black leather anymore..
    replaced a Mercedes S202 C220 Cdi diseasal Now scrapped!! (best place for it, it was crap!)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hmm. I have a spare unit for sale mate if u need it
    Bubba

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bubba_1986 For This Useful Post:

Rhys (Monday 2nd July 2012)

Always something to do!!
    Thanks
    Mine was doing this when the fan was noisy, I took the fan motor out and oiled the bareings and haven't had a problem since.
    Steve

98 V70 R 2wd auto, RICA 310, strut brace, ITG filter. Soon to come out of mothball.
    99 BMW Z3, owned from new, 30k miles, Garage Queen.
    2005 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6, Current project.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    I think it letting you know that theres a fault on the system my 850 used to do this but every thing still worked fine appart from aircon and on reading the owners manual I'm sure it said that's how the system shows a fault

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You will need to find out the codes,you can either get them read,or try and find on the web what the blinking means of the lights.it could be something simple as a blocked sensor in the dash.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Stolen from another site re: reading the codes, try this:

Your ECC (Electronic Climate Control) stores diagnostic trouble codes and displays them by the flashing lights that you noticed. To find out what the codes are do this:
    Ingition ON, position I or II.
    Wait approx. 3 seconds.
    Ignition OFF
    Ignition ON again.
    Wait for .5 seconds (or rather don't wait at all). If a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored, the indicator LED will flash once. Only start pressing the bottons (explained below) after the flashing.
    Press in the REC button 2 times within the following 2.5 seconds.

You will get a set of blinking lights in groups of 3 (ie: 2blinks, pause, 3blinks, pause and 1blink....long pause indicating 2-3-1 DTC, etc.) The long pause of 5 second is before the ECC unit give you the next code, if there is more than one problem. You need to write down everyone of these trouble codes. Once you get the same code again, you've gone through all of the trouble codes stored in your system and you can stop.

Now, you want to erase the DTS's (you have to go through all of them for them to be erased, so be patient) Follow the procedure above, but instead of 2 pushes, push the REC button 4 times (very quickly- within 2.5 seconds). Now the codes should be erased, and you would get code 1-1-1 (which means no codes are stored) if you tried the first procedure again .

Now try to use your fan like you normally would. If there's a problem go through the diagnostics above again. Once again, write down your DTC's. The codes that remain after erasing are the ones you need to be concerned about.

Note that the DTC's can also be erased by disconnecting the control module for more than 2 minutes (disconnecting the battery is the easiest way, but make sure you have your radio code if you do this). DTC 5-1-2 (5 blinks, a pause, 1 blink, a pause and then 2 blinks) can only be erased by disconnecting the control module as stated above or by going through a successful self-adjustment or a "set" (explained below).

In the case that you have a new control module, it has to be "set." To do so, you push the REC button 3 times instead of 2 like you did to read the codes, or 4 to erase them. Sometimes a used ECC control module will act like it's never been programmed and will need to be set. That's when you'll get the 5-1-2 DTC.

This user has no statues
    Thanks
    I've managed to get a copy of VOL-FCR just need an OBDII lead now.

I tried the procedure above, but didn't get any indicator flashes - maybe it works only on P2 cars?

I'll have a google to see if anything comes up re: lights flashing.

Cheers folks.
    replaced a Mercedes S202 C220 Cdi diseasal Now scrapped!! (best place for it, it was crap!)

This user has no statues
    Thanks
    Update:

Thought I'd give 'Haizum74' on here a bell as he's local to me - in luck as he can read codes via a bluetooth OBDII doobry and a phone app. Plugged it all in and nada, no codes came up. (even tired linking my laptop up to the bluetooth dooby and running VOL-FCR with no luck as it requires a cable - bummer.. worth a try though)

Having a similar problem with his which might be pointing towards the resistor pack in the passenger footwell.
    Got home and was mucking about with the heater control unit and got the lights to stop flashing. The blower has a slight smell to it for the few seconds it runs and when it stops you can hear something when you try to run it - only very slight though. Think I may have to crawl about under the passenger side to see what I can find. See if it's the resistor pack or maybe the fan itself. If it was the heater control panel it would probably throw up a code?
    Last edited by Rhys; Sunday 8th July 2012 at 00:05.

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    You won't be able to read the ecc codes with the obd tool, you'll have to use vol fcr. If the lights are going then it will have a fault code stored.

This user has no statues
    Thanks
    Well, would you believe it - I pushed a few buttons earlier just mucking about and didn't think owt about it, set off to go out a bit later and it stayed on. Was wondering what the noise was and was amazed to see it had started working again.
    Still going to source a cable though to plug the VOL-FCR in.

Thread Information