Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Dashboard Sounds

Hi

Anyone here know what those strange clicking/ticking sounds are that come from inside the dashboard not long after the car has been started on a cold engine? It sounds like a clock clicking or ticking randomly and then it stops about a minute or so after starting the engine.

I'm wondering if it's the Climate Control Unit 'warming up' or just some other electrical system starting up?

Just curious as to what the sound is, I doubt that it's a symptom of anything.

Regards

James

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Well...
    If you get in the car (mine does this so yours probably will too) and close the door you get 2 clicks from the front, one from the back a second later, then another from the front somewhere else. If you continue to sit there for a bit, engine off, there will follow another series of quiet clicks from various places around the car. However, this isn't very loud at all and probably not what you're talking about.
    There's a possibility that there's some ducting that directs the air from the heater system to the driver's side to aid demisting, or at least something that operates and gives the driver's side priority.
    Or, the venting system could close when the ignition is off to prevent animals and bugs making their home in your car.

I honestly have no idea but any of the above are pretty good candidates lol
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Well...
    If you get in the car (mine does this so yours probably will too) and close the door you get 2 clicks from the front, one from the back a second later, then another from the front somewhere else. If you continue to sit there for a bit, engine off, there will follow another series of quiet clicks from various places around the car. However, this isn't very loud at all and probably not what you're talking about.
    There's a possibility that there's some ducting that directs the air from the heater system to the driver's side to aid demisting, or at least something that operates and gives the driver's side priority.
    Or, the venting system could close when the ignition is off to prevent animals and bugs making their home in your car.

I honestly have no idea but any of the above are pretty good candidates lol
    I notice that you're the only reply to this so I gather that even the 'Nerds' in here don't know either. Mmmm, might be a question for a Volvo technician this one. (Now watch the replies role in)...

Regards

James

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    It sounds like your ac to me. Have you tried turning it off?
    Thanks
    Martyn

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I used to get a clicking noise from my dash in my old S40 it was a vent that closes when I selected the recirculate air button on the air con. The gear on the motor that closed and open the vents had worn and was getting jammed. It would click for a few mins then shut off(maybe some sort of auto cut off). In order to stop it clicking prematurely I had to press the recirculate air button untill i got a spare day to remove the dash and replace the motor for £10 quid from a scrappy, might not be your problem but its worth a check trying the aircon recirc button to see if it stops.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    When I say clicking, it sounds more like a few grains of rice dropping on to a work surface. Wierd but probably just a system warming up or something.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Sounds more like the quiet clicks I described to start with. Various relays servos doing their thing.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 20th September 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I get a repeated clicking if I haven't got all the vents selected ie: window/face and feet need to be on. Went on for months and drove me potty. Knackered motor/duct or something in the climate control piping I suspect.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Thread Information