Join Today

Thread: Suspension

This user has no status
    Thanks

Suspension

Without changing the shocks and springs (yet) I want to change all possible suspension bushes - can anyone please tell me which bushes I can change and where the best place to get them from is?

Any help as always appreciated

Rob

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd be very interested in this too.

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hello rob,
    i think the only uprated bushes you can fit to an 850 are the front lower bushes to the wishbone. i fitted these got them from powerfex.
    http://www.polybushes.com/volvo-850-c-131_135.html
    paul

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    You can replace the anti roll bar drop links and the bottom wish bones without dropping the legs.

For the drop links you will need a thin 16mm open ended spanner to oppose the removal of the nut at each end.

The front top mounts cannot be accessed without spring compressors and leg removal. The process is not difficult but it is dangerous. Spring compression for the DIY mechanic is not something I would happily recommend and as you are taking the whole thing apart you may as well replace at least the shock at the same time.

On the back it is easier to do the top mount but it still involves removing the spring and the shock. After jacking up the car you will need to remove the cup bolt that holds on the bottom end of the spring. Carefully remove the solid brake lines from their clips. Undo the bottom retaining bolt for the shock. If you are not planning to replace the spring then you can leave it in place. From the top remove the carpets and bits (its different for Saloons and estates). On estates you will need to remove the wheel arch covers from inside the boot to expose the bolts that hold down the distal boot flap (over the spare wheel well). Undo these bolts and you will be able to slide the boot flap out of the way - upon where you will see the top of the top mounts.
    Use an allen key and spanner to undo the top of the shock - middle of the 3 bolts.
    Back underneath - tap the shock with a mallet so it comes off the bottom bolt. Shock should fall out. You can then unbolt and replace the top mount for the rear shock. As the shock is now out - you may as well replace that too (if you want).
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thread Information