Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Using T5 engine for RWD...

Hi guys.

Ok, here goes. As some know, our plan is to use the T5 engine in 1 of 2 RWD car choices. Having already had a quick measure up of the Bmw, the engine will fit, not a straight forward fit but where is the fun in that?? lol
    I dont have access to the Cortina, but the first few issues will most likely be the same between the 2 cars anyway.

Problem 1... the sump. To clear the subframe/steering rack, the options are, mod the original, mod a Volvo 960 sump or custom sump (possibly dry sump kit)??
    Problem 2... the dizzy cap. It sits at what will be the back the head, and therefore right in the way of the bulkhead.

Of these 2 problems, my main concern is the dizzy cap. So my first question (of a long line of many lol).... is there a way to run the engine on coil packs for example, rather than dizzy cap and rotor? Are there parts available from other Volvos that can be used to convert it from dizzy cap?

Please share any ideas you have, as Im a complete novice when it comes to Volvos, so I have no idea whats available.

Thanks muchly :-)

James

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i would answer more but its home time, here's a link that might be of use to you LINK (Volvo engine to BMW gearbox adaptors)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The modern (ME7) T5 engines use coil packs, so with a standalone engine management system, it should be possible (you dont wanna try getting the ME7 system working on this project, they are twitchy at best when they're on the car they're designed for lol) There's a member called Paul Hassell who has built a grasstrack car with a standalone system on a T5 lump. Might be worth having a word with him for some tips.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thanks
    theirs someone done a coilpack conversion using the Turbo Tuner ecu as well, not sure if this a commercially available system yet. Adam (owner of Turbo Tuner) is very helpful & sure he will give you an info you need on the system

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    i would answer more but its home time, here's a link that might be of use to you LINK (Volvo engine to BMW gearbox adaptors)
    does it come in english?? i cant read double dutch lol

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Problem 1... the sump. To clear the subframe/steering rack, the options are, mod the original, mod a Volvo 960 sump or custom sump (possibly dry sump kit)??
    Problem 2... the dizzy cap. It sits at what will be the back the head, and therefore right in the way of the bulkhead.

Volvo 960 sump. Youll need to cut 1cylinders worth out of it and the pickup pipe. This is the route Im taking with my T5 into a Volvo 240.

Of these 2 problems, my main concern is the dizzy cap. So my first question (of a long line of many lol).... is there a way to run the engine on coil packs for example, rather than dizzy cap and rotor? Are there parts available from other Volvos that can be used to convert it from dizzy cap?
    I dont know anything about this myself yet but I am planning on running standalone as the drive by wire is just too much of a pain in the arse to hook up.

2003 V40 T4 Sport
    1988 Volvo 245 GLT Estate (Gaining T5 power!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    probably not, Google attempts to translate it but i've always given up before its finished. Shame theirs probably some good bits on there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

theflyingbrick (Wednesday 8th February 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    i would redblock it but thats just me lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys :-)
    I've seen those adaptors before, that's what gave my brother the idea using a Volvo engine. I actually got my hands on one a couple weeks back, it looks incredibly well made and they are available for a number of engine/box combos I believe.
    I'm glad the link was posted, I couldn't remember the name of the guys that did them. I just need to decipher it and make sure I order the right one! Lol

I'll look into the turbo tuner, sounds like that's what we are after.

Do the later T5s run a coil-on-plug arrangement or are the packs mounted elsewhere?

Cheers

Thanks
    Do the later T5s run a coil-on-plug arrangement or are the packs mounted elsewhere?
    its coil-on-plug, believe all the holes are on the early heads ready

This user has no status

Thanks
    That's perfect, almost as if Volvo knew :-) lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have a 1996 3 series bmw coupe 1.9 that i use for running round in and i thought a few weeks back of using a t5 engine in it.It would be a good laugh
    But im not sure what gear box i have in it for a start lol and as above i dont understand dutch lol and the prices look expensive

I said a 10 second car not a 10 minute car

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 850Rick View Post
    I have a 1996 3 series bmw coupe 1.9 that i use for running round in and i thought a few weeks back of using a t5 engine in it.It would be a good laugh
    Having looked at an E36, I reckon the T5 engine will fit better in it than in the E30... the front subframe is possibly more suited to getting the engine in with less work to the sump.
    The gearbox in yours would be the weak point. Ideally a 6cyl box would be needed, at the moment we are looking at an E34 535i box as I know there is an adaptor plate available, plus the box is strong enough to be commonly used for drag racing, hence the need for an adaptor plate for the Volvo engines.
    Ive got the smaller E30 325i box here, but there are doubts on how much power/torque it can take.

This user has no status

Thanks
    One quick question.

Someone I talked to a while ago mentioned that Volvo possibly has a sensor that uses a pick up on the flywheel. Is that right and whats it for if it is??

Cheers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jmc For This Useful Post:

T4Rick (Friday 10th February 2012)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Having looked at an E36, I reckon the T5 engine will fit better in it than in the E30... the front subframe is possibly more suited to getting the engine in with less work to the sump.
    The gearbox in yours would be the weak point. Ideally a 6cyl box would be needed, at the moment we are looking at an E34 535i box as I know there is an adaptor plate available, plus the box is strong enough to be commonly used for drag racing, hence the need for an adaptor plate for the Volvo engines.
    Ive got the smaller E30 325i box here, but there are doubts on how much power/torque it can take.
    I think you are right too be concerned about the 325 box.

I'm sure that the 535 box is often used when turboing the e30's, or if you can find/afford one the e36 m3 box is also quite strong.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingbrick View Post
    google chrome browser automatically translates foreign pages

This user has no status

Thanks
    I know of 2 E30 325i turbos running the standard 325i box and both are around the 270bhp mark, and while we are not looking for much over that figure to begin with, I know that 300bhp will be on the wish list eventually! lol
    With that in mind, I think a 535i box will be on the shopping list - may as well build it right to start with.
    I think the plan will be to get the right engine/gearbox/diff etc etc and then build whichever car we use around those.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I know of 2 E30 325i turbos running the standard 325i box and both are around the 270bhp mark, and while we are not looking for much over that figure to begin with, I know that 300bhp will be on the wish list eventually! lol
    With that in mind, I think a 535i box will be on the shopping list - may as well build it right to start with.
    I think the plan will be to get the right engine/gearbox/diff etc etc and then build whichever car we use around those.
    Sorry, i was thinking of a bit more bhp. lol

Your right the box should be fine to start with, but if your going for big bhp then you may as well fit the 535 and save the hassle changing at a later date.

Look forward to seeing how it all goes.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks
    may as well build it right to start with
    you looking for a Cortina shell then lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Sorry, i was thinking of a bit more bhp. lol

Your right the box should be fine to start with, but if your going for big bhp then you may as well fit the 535 and save the hassle changing at a later date.

Look forward to seeing how it all goes.
    From experience, 300bhp in the E30 was more than enough for a road car cause traction became an issue with such a light backend. I reckon anymore than 350bhp will just be noise and wheelspin. Im sure the same figures will give similar results in the Cortina.
    Thats not to say we wont head for more bhp if the opportunity arises, so like you say, we may as well start off on the right foot and save some hassle at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    you looking for a Cortina shell then lol
    lol
    My brother has one.... well, he has rust with attached Ford bits!

Thread Information