Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID's?

This user has no status

Thanks

HID's?

Hi Guys,

I read a while ago somewhere that HID's on volvos can flicker a lot and be a pain in the ass? im not happy with the standard bulb set up, and if i can get a cheapish HID kit i wouldn't mind fitting a set.

Any thoughts??

Andy
    99 C70 T5

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Just get better bulbs mate - I have a set of Ring XenonMax 55W bulbs for dipped, cheapo fleabay 100W HB3 bulbs for full beam and cheapo fleabay 100W H1s for my fogs.
    Lovely bright light
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Just get better bulbs mate - I have a set of Ring XenonMax 55W bulbs for dipped, cheapo fleabay 100W HB3 bulbs for full beam and cheapo fleabay 100W H1s for my fogs.
    Lovely bright light
    I bought some posh Philips ones after reading loads of reviews, but they are cack I had HIDS on my old megane coupe and they were great.
    99 C70 T5

Thanks
    My old nissan had nice lights, I put 90/130W H4 bulbs in that - instant daylight.

Just watch out for bulb failure warnings with HIDs, although I think the C70 will cope.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Just cant keep away from the
    Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    i have HIDs and never have a problem with them
    Back with a 1997 S70 T5 SE

Thanks
    Yep, bloody P2 kicks - off tho

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Hi

Odd this thread, because I was about to post a thread about it myself but rather than double up I thought I'd post in here...

I'm thinking of putting HID's on my 2001 T5 as I did it on a Skoda I had once and it made a big difference.

The thing is, the MOT laws are apparantly changing, so now the MOT testers will ckeck for alignment, self levelling and all sorts of pedantic stuff that never seemed to matter before. I was told by a local car spares place today, that the HID kits will have to be professionally installed or the car will likely fail the MOT. That's the official line.....

Now the reality. If you install a HID kit and you're worried about a fail on the test the solution is to whip them out for your MOT and replace them with standard bulbs, go for the test, pass, come home and then pop your HID's back in.

As for kits, I'm told the CANBUS kits are necessary for all Volvos since about 2000>.

Regards

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Hi

Now the reality. If you install a HID kit and you're worried about a fail on the test the solution is to whip them out for your MOT and replace them with standard bulbs, go for the test, pass, come home and then pop your HID's back in.

As for kits, I'm told the CANBUS kits are necessary for all Volvos since about 2000>.

Regards

James
    Yeah they are really easy to take out and out back in. about 15 mins max.

Will my 99 c70 t5 need the canbus system?
    99 C70 T5

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andybrown View Post
    Yeah they are really easy to take out and out back in. about 15 mins max.

Will my 99 c70 t5 need the canbus system?
    If I'm honest with you I don't know but I would go for a CANBUS version just to be on the safe side. According to the HIDS4U website it's 2002> cars that need them but as the V70 changed styles in 2000 I will buy a CANBUS version, (you know what Volvo's are like with their electrics!!).

Personally, I'm going to go for a 55W version when I eventually do mine as it's 400% more light than a halogen bulb. They do 35W kits too that will be a whole lot brighter than the dull candles we drive around with as standard from Volvo. Remember you won't have to worry about the MOT centre getting picky over brightness as you can just whip the kit off for the test and bang some standard £5 Halfords bulbs in for the MOT.

I don't know how much your aware of the K rating so just in case, the higher the K rating the darker the colour but the less the light focus. The optimum for a nice ice white or slight blue tint is about 6000K. 8000K is more of a sky blue colour. I am cautious about going too dark incase the cops take an interest and pull you over but anything up to 8000K, possibly 10,000K should be ok. Personally, I'm likely to opt for a 6000K system and no more than 8000K for optimum light focus.

I don't know what bulb size/type your 1999 model has but assuming it's a dipped beam only kit you'll need on a H7 lamp fitting, here's a link to the 55W kit, below. If you have projector lamps it looks like you'll need to select the right option as there is two - either projector headlamps or reflector lamps. My 2001 model uses reflector lamps and the reflector lamp version has a special anti-glare shield on it to reflect the light on to the back of the headlamp unit. The projector version is just a D2S bulb (or similar), that slots into the projector lense on the car headlamp and the lense diffuses the light that way.....

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-55w-Ultim...it-H7ULT3.html

Regards

James
    Last edited by JamesT5; Wednesday 27th June 2012 at 17:13. Reason: Typos

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i've got HID's on dipped 35w, & on my main 55w on Bonny (52plate S60) & have no problems with bulb failure or any flickering

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post

The thing is, the MOT laws are apparantly changing, so now the MOT testers will ckeck for alignment, self levelling and all sorts of pedantic stuff that never seemed to matter before. I was told by a local car spares place today, that the HID kits will have to be professionally installed or the car will likely fail the MOT. That's the official line.....
    Actually that's not strictly true. The MOT tester won't care less who fitted your HID kit, even if it was fitted 'professionally'. The law states that a HID lamp unit must have self levelling and/or a headlamp wash/wipe capability. If you do not have these then your HID's will be illegal (in the eyes of the law and of course, the MOT tester).

Brightness won't come into it unless they are very obviously blue, in which case plod will take a dim view and make you remove them within 7 days in the very least.

Standard 'K' Kelvin rating for an oe HID bulb is 4300k. V70R/S60R are 4300k D2R bulbs. I have replaced mine with 6000k D2C bulbs and the difference is amazing. Not only is the light alot brighter but it's also whiter with a very faint blue halo (seen from a distance). There is also alot more light output because the D2C bulb does not have the black diffuser wrapped around the bulb.

In answer to the original question, flickering bulbs are usually due to cheap bulbs being used. The flickering is the glass chamber moving because the ceramic base is not sturdy enough to support the glass, so it vibrates. If you fit decent quality Phillips or other known brands then you won't experience this problem. If you experience a bulb turning itself on and off then this is usually the Ballast failing. Common fault on 03> R models. If you have a failed ballast then you can buy an original Valeo unit, brand new off ebay for £175 (i think). Just make sure the build date is post 2005 as pre 05 versions were rubbish.

I have experimented on different types of bulbs all my driving life and i wasted so much money on halogen bulbs that claim to be 60%, 80% or even 100% brighter. Some of the bulbs in Halfords now are ridiculously expensive, about £30 a pair!! Jesus, you could buy a decent HID kit for an extra £20 and get a true bulb that is 300% brighter than halogen. All the bulbs i have ever bought that weren't H.I.D are Crap and don't last 5 minutes. They make the element smaller so it burns hotter and therefore increases light output. The trade off is life expectancy. The bulbs i bought off ebay (cos i weren't going to pay £100 per bulb for a phillips unit from Volvo) are quality units and come with a two year guarantee. So, if a bulbs fails in less than two years, who cares?!
    I think you just gotta be careful where you get your bulbs from off ebay. Some are hidiously cheap and like everything in life...you get what you pay for.
    I think my bulbs were about £18 each which is cheaper than some halogen bulbs and a dam sight cheaper than oe.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 28th June 2012 at 03:49.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=LeeT5;517977]Actually that's not strictly true. The MOT tester won't care less who fitted your HID kit, even if it was fitted 'professionally'. The law states that a HID lamp unit must have self levelling and/or a headlamp wash/wipe capability. If you do not have these then your HID's will be illegal (in the eyes of the law and of course, the MOT tester).[QUOTE]

The regulations state a wash facility AND a self levelling capability, rather than an "and/or".....

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-...-cars-2010.pdf

The manufacture standard for K ratings is normally around 6000K, sometimes they use 7000 or even 8000K systems. Just looking at the colour you'll notice the tint is too blue for a diamond white 4500K colour temperature. My Skoda I used to have had 6000K HID's on as a manufacturer fitted option.

Regards

James

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    ive never had any problems with my hid kits with the working of them or mot time

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Only if fitted. past my MOT in May no probs with H7R HID bulbs fitted. Only provision for your car Andy is that the headlight wipers have to work, if you have HIDs fitted.

Self levelers were never fitted to that car & cannot be tested.

I have HID 4300K 35W systems fitted to both main & dipped. I use the H7R bulbs to reduce any glare.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    To be honest, where can you go and buy a self levelling kit for a P2 V70, just like that? Answer is you can't, and so the VOSA have effectively outlawed after market HID kits.

In reality, the Police are not likely to pull you unless your lights are dazzling other drivers and the MOT test centre will pass your car if for the test, you reinstall your £4.99 each Halfords Halogen Candles.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Why do you want to buy a self leveling kit?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Self levelers were never fitted to that car & cannot be tested
    its not a case of "if you haven't got it they can't test it", the point is you HAVE to have self-levelling to legally use HID's

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Sorry but you're wrong. You can only test stuff that is fitted. I have had this discussion at some length & reviewed the documentation from the ministry.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Sorry but you're wrong. You can only test stuff that is fitted. I have had this discussion at some length & reviewed the documentation from the ministry.
    is this really not written simple enough for you Dave?

quoted from the pdf file linked above
    "Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems otherwise this will be a reason for rejection"

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I've discussed this at length with 3 MOT testers - "tested if fitted".

Funny that - what with my car passing the test & all.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Sunday 1st July 2012)

Thread Information