Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Steering Stops Changed (see pictures)

Hi

I had a nice simple job today of changing my steering stops over for brand new ones, although a slightly wet one as typically it started to rain. Reason for the changing of the steering stops? I was getting a scraping sound on full right lock which after changing the stops is better but still noticeable.

Here's a picture of the new stoppers....

Attachment 13591

Anyway, I apologise for the quality of most of the photos, they haven't come out as well as I hoped as they're a bit blurry but hopefully just about good enough to see what I've done.

Firstly, I made sure the handbrake was fully on and the car was in gear, this made sure the car wasn't going to roll forward over me whilst I was lying down in front of the front wheels!

I left the wheels on but turned them full lock outwards depending on which wheel stop I was changing, for example full right lock for the right wheel stop and full left lock for the left wheel stop, allowing access to the stops from the front of the wheel.

I then got my spanner set and removed the two 10mm bolts holding the stops on. The bolts were fairly easy to remove after a good tug with the wrench.....

Attachment 13593

Then I put the new stopper on and put the bolts back on, making sure the stopper was on the correct way around as I found the old ones to be and the bolts were nice and tight.....

Old and new comparison (right hand side).......

Attachment 13594

The left hand side was in a similar condition.

New stop attached (right hand side)......

Attachment 13595

Then I repeated the process for the other side, although one of the bolts was somewhat stiff to get back on compared to the other one, so I used a quick spray of WD-40 to help it along, (that's the wet patch you see in the photo)......

Attachment 13596

Whilst I was down on the ground looking at the lower suspension arm, I noticed the lower suspension arm bush on the left had side of the car looks pretty perished. I didn't bother to look at the right hand bush but I'm betting it's in the same condition. Plus, if I change one then I'll follow standard practice and change both of them. I'm wondering whether to get all the bushes done over the entire car because I'm thinking if some are perished, then quite a few others could be too but it all boils down to cost.

Here's a somewhat blurred image of the left had front lower suspension arm bush, I think you'll agree it's pretty worn.......

Attachment 13597

Anyway, the steering stops have reduced the scraping noise but it's still there so I'll see if it's the tyres rubbing on something or the brake discs and pads rubbing. At least now I've got lovely shiny new ones on and I can completely rule them out as a source of the problem.

Regards

James

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Well done mate.

You might find this useful...
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38699
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Good idea to put a bit of grease on them as this will slow down wear rate on the stops Volvo will lube them at a service as they did my ones.
    Your bushes are shot as Martin says powerflex them job done once and for all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 18th June 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Great pictoral guide mate. Beats the pants of anything Mr Haynes has done!

Santa, maybe a seperate section could be set up on the forum for such items? Call it 'Workshop' or something? I know there is the 'How To Guides' section already but that contains quite a wide variety of topics as opposed to strictly repair/replace info. Just an idea

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Agreed, I've always thought a model specific how - to section would be more appropriate... (maybe I should have put that in the suggestions section?)
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thread Information