Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ETM Cleaning

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

ETM Cleaning

Hi

I've just been browsing the internet (I'm bored and waiting for the RAC!), and noticed on another Volvo enthusiast site that some one had done a DIY ETM clean with some wire brush and some carb cleaner.

Has anyone done this and is how easy or hard is it to get the ETM out and give it a clean? Apparanty, according to the thread I read, if it's a bit chocked up, it makes the car run a lot smoother when it's been cleaned.

Is it worth me getting it off and giving it a clean out?

Regards

James

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts

Smile

Whilst replacing mine the other day, I gave the ETM a quick clean with just a clean bit of rag, a toothbush (old..lol) and a squirt WD40. All the gunk around it came off real easy worth doing if you have it off, but I wouldn't bother taking it off to clean unless I was having idle or other problems.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moleadrian View Post
    Whilst replacing mine the other day, I gave the ETM a quick clean with just a clean bit of rag, a toothbush (old..lol) and a squirt WD40. All the gunk around it came off real easy worth doing if you have it off, but I wouldn't bother taking it off to clean unless I was having idle or other problems.
    Well the car has been misfiring but I'm putting that down largely to either coils or spark plugs. But even when the car is running fine, it just feels a bit 'sticky', that's the only way I can put it. I thought it wouldn't do any harm to get the thing off, give it a clean and put it back on again.

Did you need any special tools to take it off and put it on again or do standard socket sets and spanners etc do the job?

Regards

James

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Well the car has been misfiring but I'm putting that down largely to either coils or spark plugs. But even when the car is running fine, it just feels a bit 'sticky', that's the only way I can put it. I thought it wouldn't do any harm to get the thing off, give it a clean and put it back on again.

Did you need any special tools to take it off and put it on again or do standard socket sets and spanners etc do the job?

Regards

James
    7 and 10mm socket was really all thats was needed to take it off (10mm for the etm and 7mm to remove the jubilee clip on the intake hose) not a lot of room to work in on v70r awd p1 so popped the fan out to make more space, probably took 1 to 2 hours but I wasn't rushing it. simple'sss really

P.s don't forget to disconnect the battery

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Saturday 9th June 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moleadrian View Post
    7 and 10mm socket was really all thats was needed to take it off (10mm for the etm and 7mm to remove the jubilee clip on the intake hose) not a lot of room to work in on v70r awd p1 so popped the fan out to make more space, probably took 1 to 2 hours but I wasn't rushing it. simple'sss really

P.s don't forget to disconnect the battery
    Ok, so nothing too complicated then. It's just that where the ETM is located looks pretty akward to get at but then lots of people have done a quick(ish) DIY clean on it meaning it can't be that hard to get at.

It should be good fun anyway!

Regards

James

This user has no status

Thanks
    I'm going to clean mine soon so I'll post a few pics if I have the patience. I have invested in a 7mm socket (flexi extender type) for the intercooler-ETM pipe jubilee clip and then there are 4 10mm bolts to remove the ETM. I think it's then just a case of un-clipping the electrical connector and removal should be easy. I was going to use carb cleaner and wire/plastic brushes. Mine was dirty at 80000 miles and I have an intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble that could be related to gummed throttle plate/body - logging reveals unsteady throttle angle with constant pedal input in the 0.4-5.0% angle range. Mine is a Bosch ETM so I don't think it's the electronic gremlin that the earlier MM units suffered from. I have bought an ETM gasket and now just waiting for a spare few hours as I'll be replacing the starter motor while I'm down there.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    it's not a difficult job, just awkward, but popping the fan out is a great help

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    I'm going to clean mine soon so I'll post a few pics if I have the patience. I have invested in a 7mm socket (flexi extender type) for the intercooler-ETM pipe jubilee clip and then there are 4 10mm bolts to remove the ETM. I think it's then just a case of un-clipping the electrical connector and removal should be easy. I was going to use carb cleaner and wire/plastic brushes. Mine was dirty at 80000 miles and I have an intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble that could be related to gummed throttle plate/body - logging reveals unsteady throttle angle with constant pedal input in the 0.4-5.0% angle range. Mine is a Bosch ETM so I don't think it's the electronic gremlin that the earlier MM units suffered from. I have bought an ETM gasket and now just waiting for a spare few hours as I'll be replacing the starter motor while I'm down there.
    Just a couple of genuine questions, what is an "intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble" exactly? I ask because I'll look out for it one mine.

Secondly, what's an ETM gasket and will I need to get one or is this optional?

Regards

James

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    gasket seals the ETM against the inlet manifold. You will have one in there.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    gasket seals the ETM against the inlet manifold. You will have one in there.
    If I take the ETM out for cleaning then I assume I can just put the old gasket back on?

Regards

James

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    gasket can be reused - so long as it is not cracked. They will not be very much new anyway.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 11th June 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Just a couple of genuine questions, what is an "intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble" exactly? I ask because I'll look out for it one mine.

Secondly, what's an ETM gasket and will I need to get one or is this optional?

Regards

James
    Hi James, now and again (but more frequently lately) the revs are unstable (wobbly) at idle (zero pedal input) and just off idle (low pedal input around 1200 rpm). When I log a few things that may alter idle stability like ignition angle, fuelling, exhaust cam angle and throttle angle I notice that all is stable except the throttle angle which wanders around from 0.4% open to 5% open even though the pedal input is not altering. At higher levels of pedal input the throttle angle is stable. At low throttle angles it is more likely to be getting stuck on any varnish that has built up on the plate/body so I'm hoping that's what I find.

I bought a new gasket for ~£3 on Tim Williams advice.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 11th June 2012)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Did my etm a week ago and although mine wasn't too bad (coked-up around the gaps at each side of the paddle) cleaning it made a noticeable but not huge difference. I took - out the intercooler to etm pipe and had a feel around for the 10mm bolts that hold the etm on then guided a socket with a 3" extension on it, on to the bolts. I found that leaving a few turns on the bolt that's easiest to get to, then undo the rest. This allows you to unplug and get the etm out without dropping it (like I did lol)

Another little tip... Clean it outside... Mrs. MRP said that discharging half a can of Wynn's carb cleaner in the kitchen was "a effin' stupid thing to do". Apparently the fumes from said carb cleaner are quite strong, although after a few minutes, I didn't care lol
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Skint and kanckered!
    Thanks
    Should have put it in the dishwasher Martin!

I threatened to put a comet in the dishwasher when I was cleaning them up prior to painting! In fairness, the missus didn't freak but threatened me with castration and the requirement of buying a new one if I bu66ered it up!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to I want a T5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 11th June 2012)

Thanks
    We have a really posh dishwasher...

I can get away with the odd air filter but I put a really greasy bonnet release catch in there a while ago and she went nuclear!

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Do you have cree led's in your dishwasher !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

Thanks
    Nope, Chavvy blue ones (cree would be white ) - Seimens call it "emotion lighting" bloody thing gives me something close to ark-eye when I'm trying to fill it!

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Did my etm a week ago and although mine wasn't too bad (coked-up around the gaps at each side of the paddle) cleaning it made a noticeable but not huge difference. I took - out the intercooler to etm pipe and had a feel around for the 10mm bolts that hold the etm on then guided a socket with a 3" extension on it, on to the bolts. I found that leaving a few turns on the bolt that's easiest to get to, then undo the rest. This allows you to unplug and get the etm out without dropping it (like I did lol)

Another little tip... Clean it outside... Mrs. MRP said that discharging half a can of Wynn's carb cleaner in the kitchen was "a effin' stupid thing to do". Apparently the fumes from said carb cleaner are quite strong, although after a few minutes, I didn't care lol
    I love your last paragraph about 'discharging half a can of Wynn's Carb cleaner in the kitchen', Mrs MRP and "a effin' stupid thing to do".... It made me laugh!

Thanks for the entertaining advice though!

Regards

James

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 11th June 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

I can get away with the odd air filter but I put a really greasy bonnet release catch in there a while ago and she went nuclear!
    "she went nuclear" LMAO!

Thanks
    Glad my efforts made you smile.
    The wife doesn't loose her temper often, nor does she swear much.
    So, when she does go-off on one and starts swearing, even I take note and I'm 8" taller and almost twice her weight!
    'Ard-nosed East-Londoner

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information