Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Induction kits, why not???

As the title suggests, why are induction kits such a bad thing for our 20v wagons? I want to know people's opinions on the matter. Please discuss...........
    Last edited by BlackBeast; Tuesday 4th October 2005 at 01:25.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    What do you mean by induction kits. The airbox on the T5 is not restrictive but you might wanna consider a panel filter such as an ITG or K&N?

Inducting hot engine air via an unenclosed cone will not help. Some peeps have run into problems with MAF sensors running such cones and others have not. If you are after enhancements to performance then the ITG panel is a good place to start and not that expensive ~ £45
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    The cone filters do give a performance advantage in the winter when its cold outside all the time but not much of an advantage in the summer and I did run into problems with the MAF sensor, but they do make a lovely noise!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you want one just for the noise, buy one, but like others have said, you can pretty much forget any power improvements and you may shorten your MAFs life somewhat.

The intakes on these cars are designed quite well to start with so you'd be hard pressed to improve them.
    '96 855 T5 auto ...GT30 and everything uprated!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It all depends how you fit it and enclose it... I've tested the intake temperatures with an airbox and with a cone so I am confident in saying this. If they're properly fitted then there's no reason not to have one (and you get the lovely noise) - if they're badly fitted you will lose power at low speeds.

Oh, and even slightly-wrongly-sized ones can bugger up your MAF readings.
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    It all depends how you fit it and enclose it... I've tested the intake temperatures with an airbox and with a cone so I am confident in saying this. If they're properly fitted then there's no reason not to have one (and you get the lovely noise) - if they're badly fitted you will lose power at low speeds.

Oh, and even slightly-wrongly-sized ones can bugger up your MAF readings.
    The noise would be a bonus but its mainly the performance factor im thinking about. I know i refer to the Fiat Coupe many times but this is where my tuining knowledge has come from. What the tuining experts on the coupe forum have done is to design a straight induction pipe directly from the turbo. This in turn improves both spool-up of the turbo and top end power.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tinduction.jpg

There you can see the straight pipe, it is designed to accept the small pipes, the MAF goes on the end and then a cone filter.

Now i realise this is at the front of the bay and the turbo is located at the rear of the engine on ours, but if we were to relocate the battery to the boot and obviously got rid of the airbox, then im sure there would be enough room for the straight intake pipe and a large air pipe/sealed box.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The biggest restriction on the std inlet is the pipe from the maf to the turbo not the filter box,i have replaced mine with 2.5 inch pipeing and samco,noticed better spool up and midrange.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Most people using the cone on the T5 have enclosed it in a housing - which strikes me to be very much like the airbox in the first place??
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i'm on my third cone filter now & recommend the Pipercross foam cone. At first i didn't think the K&N cone was to bad, didn't seem to make much of a difference but still had to be kept just for the noise. Then Pipercross used BT as the geniue pig & put one of the foam cone's on & you could certainly feel a difference in how easily she rev'd then, they then sent me one of there Viper kits (£300 filter free ) but tbh it didn't feel any better & would only be using the open foam cone if the pennies had came out of my pocket

BT been on cones for about 4 years now & not had any MAF troubles (touch wood). From what i've read in the past its more excess oil on the filters that knacker the MAF than the filter itself. The only time BT's not been happy was at Santa pod when i took the filter off altogether & she kept hitting overboost, but that was because my MBC is set to close to the limit & the extra cold non-restricted air was making her breathe just a bit to easy (put the cone back on & she ran sweet ever since)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have you noticed that on Volvospeed nearly all the Americans have cone filters ?
    Got an itg filter a couple of weeks ago. Can't say that i can feel that much of a difference, although the gains are bound to be small.
    Drilled the box back in april and to be honest i'm gettin sick of the exess noise, so i'm looking for a new air box.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
    The only time BT's not been happy was at Santa pod when i took the filter off altogether & she kept hitting overboost]
    Yeah but it did sound flaming evil mind.

PS: Duane not heard from you at all in a long while......

do I stinky poos?
    I ask everyone to drive safe and give an extra thought before you drive to fast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C70T5
    Yeah but it did sound flaming evil mind.

PS: Duane not heard from you at all in a long while......

do I stinky poos?
    a bit of attention grabbing never hurt anybody lol (ps i've just found the vid you took of BT while we were in the hotel car park for the pod meet click here )

i'm still here mate just no where near as much, got alot of stuff going on etc. How's you recovering well i hope? i read somewhere your starting driving again, what you practising in you managed to nick the missus Puma?
    Last edited by p fandango; Tuesday 4th October 2005 at 19:29.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah thats the sound!

No I'm not driving yet, can't push a brake pedal but I am allowed to start playing with the pedals in my drive. How will I contain my excitement!
    I ask everyone to drive safe and give an extra thought before you drive to fast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C70T5
    No I'm not driving yet, can't push a brake pedal but I am allowed to start playing with the pedals in my drive. How will I contain my excitement!
    thats why they invented the hand brake

i remember driving my old mini up & down the driveway before i could drive, still got the inprint of it in the garage door, those were the days

Thread Information