Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

non turbo remap - is it worthwhile??

Love the idea of remapping my 2.4i v50, but i am getting some conflicting information about whether it is worth doing on a non turbo engine. My v50 is the 170bhp variant, and the remapping advice i have found online only seems to suggest that remapping the 140bhp version UP to 170bhp is possible or even worthwhile? I want a bit more midrange torque/power - would i get this with an off the shelf rica/quantum remap?? If my car is already the 170bhp variant - would it be worth even having a remap? I like the idea of tuning my vehicle, and plan on upgrading the intake and exhaust and suspension systems in the near future. what advice please or just your thoughts on how to proceed.... sorry if the question is dumb but i am quite new to all this - but keen

Just cant keep away from the
    Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    u never know with tech these days, but obviously u will get nowhere near the same benefits as turbo cars
    Back with a 1997 S70 T5 SE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daza-b For This Useful Post:

getcarter1972 (Sunday 3rd June 2012)

This user has no statues
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daza-b View Post
    u never know with tech these days, but obviously u will get nowhere near the same benefits as turbo cars
    I had a BMW E36 318ti compact which had a 1.8 16v engine pushing 140bhp - I had it chipped and all it did for me was remove the flat spot on the auto and maybe give it a couple more ponies - it wasn't a vast difference and if it wasn't that I got it for free I wouldn't have had it done tbh.

I don't know what difference it will make to your car, some places will map it for you and if you aren't satisfied they'll take the map back off and not charge you.
    Not a '97 V70 T-5 CD Auto, Black, Black leather anymore..
    replaced a Mercedes S202 C220 Cdi diseasal Now scrapped!! (best place for it, it was crap!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhys For This Useful Post:

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    if you want more power buy turbocharged variant.

Once you start tuning, it's hard not to want more and more lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by getcarter1972 View Post
    Love the idea of remapping my 2.4i v50, but i am getting some conflicting information about whether it is worth doing on a non turbo engine. My v50 is the 170bhp variant, and the remapping advice i have found online only seems to suggest that remapping the 140bhp version UP to 170bhp is possible or even worthwhile? I want a bit more midrange torque/power - would i get this with an off the shelf rica/quantum remap?? If my car is already the 170bhp variant - would it be worth even having a remap? I like the idea of tuning my vehicle, and plan on upgrading the intake and exhaust and suspension systems in the near future. what advice please or just your thoughts on how to proceed.... sorry if the question is dumb but i am quite new to all this - but keen
    They were all the 170 version.

Test Drive a T5 version - you won't be thinking of remapping anymore!

Remap worth it on yours? big fat no.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

9. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

happy
    Thanks
    I agree with what everybody else is saying.. with out a turbo I really dont think its worth it, ive had N/A cars in the past and had them remapped and to be honest its hard to tell the difference.
    Old Cars: Mazda6, Laguna 2.2, S40 T4, Passat 1.8t, Celica GT4, Legacy GTB, Golf VR6, S70 2.5t, C70 T5
    Current Car:850t5

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shepbomb For This Useful Post:

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    If you're deffo gonna keep it - get a stainless exhaust + K&N intake because the sound is just something else on the 2.4

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

13. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by getcarter1972 View Post
    If your car was the 140 hp version, then yes it would definitely be worth remapping it. Click the following link to see the power and torque curves, and where the improvements are:

http://www.rica-uk.com/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=181

However, since your car is the 170 hp version, then no it's not worth remapping because the gains will be too small to notice.
    ======================================
    My current car: Volvo V60 D3 R-Design (Saville Grey)

Turbo-Tuner USB
    http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk

RICA ECU Upgrades
    http://www.rica-uk.com

RICA on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RI...77897022224267

15. The Following User Says Thank You to turbo-tuner For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I love the car and def want to keep it (for now) IN THE FUTURE WHO KNOWS??
    i wont bother with the remap then - and will concentrate on improving what i can ie. intake/exhaust, suspension etc.... thanks guys. all advice welcome

Thread Information