Join Today
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation Coil Pack photos re: Misfire issue

Hi everyone

I thought it might be productive to take some photos of the coil packs whilst I took the the cover off and some of the packs out to have a look at them. I've also had a new DTC today. I forgot to bring it in with me from the car but I remeber it said "Ingition Coil 4 Primary" along with the other fault codes mentioned on a previous thread.

Now, I've took some photos and I noticed that the insulation pipe around most the wiring as splintered and disintergrated. Atg some point, someone has even put black insutaltion tape around some wires near to 1 and 2 coil and there is some exposed wiring near coil 4 (might explain coil 4 playing up). My instinct is to replace the entire loom but that would be a garage job. I wonder if I can repair the exposed wire bit.

Attachment 13479

Attachment 13480

Attachment 13481

Attachment 13482

Attachment 13483

Attachment 13484

Attachment 13485

Attachment 13486

Regards

James

Skint and kanckered!
    Thanks
    That trunking looks like mine! Got some new to replce it with when I can get round to it!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Hmm, some high temp tape should sort the exposed stuff. Some split trunking should tidy the wires up too.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I replaced mine with more trunking - which then did the same thing about 6 months later LOL.

You can unclip the 2nd part of the cambelt cover at the back if you want. My offer of help still stands. I will even do your trunking for you.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for their help and advice and I'd like to say an extra thank you to bubba and in particular WobblyDave for his offer of help, something I may well take you up on Dave.....

What I'm going to do before I purchase anything, is (weather permitting), swap coils 1 and 2 for 3 and 5 as 3 and 5 are the only 2 that haven't thrown up a DTC on the reader.

I'll then drive it around for a day or so and wait for the misfire to come back. I'm hoping it will then say it's coils 3 and 5 misfiring then I know it's the coil packs. If it still says 1 and 2 coils (and 4), despite me changing the coil packs around then I know it's either wiring or possibly an ECU issue.

Dave, if you give me a couple of days I'll do a bit more trouble shooting and make sure it's what I/we think it is and then I can arrange for a day/time to come and see you. I'll be quite happy to chip in and help with the fitting of stuff of course and the price discussed seems like a fair price although I may come back to you and ask for a seperate price for just the coil packs.

If they're off a 1999 model, that will be a P1 won't it and will they be ok for a 2001 model? Sorry, that's probably a really stupid question but I thought I should ask anyway. :-)

Regards

James

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    coil packs & spark plugs are all the same - can't see any issues with that.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Friday 1st June 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Ok, the weather has held out this morning so I've been out and swapped coil pack 1 with coil pack 3 and coil pack 2 with coil pack 5 so from left to right the coil packs with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 written on them now read 3, 5, 1, 4, 2.

I'll now wait until the misfire starts up again, and it will at some point as it comes and goes, and I will then read the codes again. I expect to see an error on cylinder 4 as normal as that's the only coil left in it's original place, but I expect to see misfire detected on cylinders 3 and 5 as they have old coils 1 and 2 on them and then I should know either way.

I'll post the results when I get them. Fingers crossed!

Regards

James
    Last edited by JamesT5; Saturday 2nd June 2012 at 11:41. Reason: Typo

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Interesting today, some misfire but only on cylinder 4, after I'd swapped 1 and 2 coils for 3 and 5. I'll continue to monitor and on Moday take 4 out and move it to another spot and see if coil 4 plays up again in another place or whether it's wiring.

These electrical issues are really annoying aren't they! Updates to follow as I get them.

Regards

James

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    James - I have your PP payment but no delivery address. I have sent a mail to you. You can reply via that or PM me at your earliest convenience.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thread Information