Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation Mis-fire problem - I have my codes!! :)

Hi

I thought I'd start a fresh thread following on from the Mis-fire thread previously posted.

My OBDII DTC reader came this morning, so I've plugged it in and managed to read my own codes!

It's given me 3 fault codes (DTC's) and has even given me the meaning of them too:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

So, coil packs on their way out then? Or maybe blocked injectors causing random misfire?

I've cleared the DTC's and I'll drive around for a while and see if logs the same codes again. That way I'll know if it's an ongoing problem or whether it was caused by my overzealous use of fuel system cleaner.

I'll read the codes after 50 miles or so and I'll post the results on here.

By the way, if anyone is near South Powys and need their codes reading, I'll do it for free. Don't pay the garages to plug a box in to your dash.

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Mmmmm, just read this website (see link), and it's pointing towards vacuum leak. Doesn't explain why the problem is so infrequent and so random though.....

http://www.random-misfire.com/

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Hi

I thought I'd start a fresh thread following on from the Mis-fire thread previously posted.

My OBDII DTC reader came this morning, so I've plugged it in and managed to read my own codes!

It's given me 3 fault codes (DTC's) and has even given me the meaning of them too:

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

So, coil packs on their way out then? Or maybe blocked injectors causing random misfire?

I've cleared the DTC's and I'll drive around for a while and see if logs the same codes again. That way I'll know if it's an ongoing problem or whether it was caused by my overzealous use of fuel system cleaner.

I'll read the codes after 50 miles or so and I'll post the results on here.

By the way, if anyone is near South Powys and need their codes reading, I'll do it for free. Don't pay the garages to plug a box in to your dash.

Regards

James
    If it logs the same cylinder 1 & 2 misfire, swap coilpack 1 & 2 for 4 & 5 and see if it picks up the same misfire or if it follows the coilpacks. that'll confirm or rule out the coils.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    If it logs the same cylinder 1 & 2 misfire, swap coilpack 1 & 2 for 4 & 5 and see if it picks up the same misfire or if it follows the coilpacks. that'll confirm or rule out the coils.
    What he says lol. If it is packs give me a shout and ill sort you out with some
    Bubba

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Ok thanks guys. How do I get the coil packs off and on and are they numbered?

Regards

James

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Need torx 25 bit to remove the spark plug cover - there are either 8 or 10 of them - I forget. Then unclip the offside end (by the cam sprockets). The cover should lift in 2 parts. Coil packs are held in place by 10mm nut. Unclip the coilpack wire by depressing the connector clip and pull the plug towards you. Undo the nut. Sometimes the coilpack comes out the hole & leaves the rubber shroud behind. You'll need to tug that out too.

You might want to check the spark plug at the same time? Make sure that they are not nibbled & properly gapped (feeler gauge will be needed - 0.7mm IIRC).

HTH

Top tip is to number the coil packs with dots of tippex. Traditionally #1 cylinder is nearest the cambelt.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Thanks
    beat me to it Dave

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Sorry dude - I am sure your path to forum domination will continue unabaited.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Need torx 25 bit to remove the spark plug cover - there are either 8 or 10 of them - I forget. Then unclip the offside end (by the cam sprockets). The cover should lift in 2 parts. Coil packs are held in place by 10mm nut. Unclip the coilpack wire by depressing the connector clip and pull the plug towards you. Undo the nut. Sometimes the coilpack comes out the hole & leaves the rubber shroud behind. You'll need to tug that out too.

You might want to check the spark plug at the same time? Make sure that they are not nibbled & properly gapped (feeler gauge will be needed - 0.7mm IIRC).

HTH

Top tip is to number the coil packs with dots of tippex. Traditionally #1 cylinder is nearest the cambelt.
    Thanks for that. Looks like it's a trip to Halfords for some tools as I've only got a spanner set atm. Oh, and a pair of pliers!

Regards

James

Thanks
    Thanks for that. Looks like it's a trip to Halfords for some tools as I've only got a spanner set atm. Oh, and a pair of pliers!

Regards

James
    I got most of my torx stuff and general tools for that matter, from Aldi, - tenner for a 60 piece kit with allsorts of bits and adapters

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    & don't forget the tippex
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Thursday 31st May 2012)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    This is the way to fix things not just guessing at things
    Well done that man .

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    I got most of my torx stuff and general tools for that matter, from Aldi, - tenner for a 60 piece kit with allsorts of bits and adapters
    Oh yes, Aldi, I love it there because I got an electric car polisher for £15. Mind you, my fingers tingle when I use it because the vibration off it is off the scale. It's like using a pneumatic drill!

The only problem with cheap tools is that they can snap. I brought a 'cheap' socket set from Homebase back a few months ago and whilst trying to take a seat out of a Nissan Almera, the bit that goes over the nut just shattered in to a gazillion differnt pieces. It went back for a prompt and full refund.

The 'cheap' sets are sometimes made from composite materials and are coated in metal meaning they are cheaper that reinforced steal, hence they shatter. Hopefully though, a Torx set should be made from normal metal and will be fine, I'm sure.

Regards

James

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    What I do is to buy spanners that I use size wise eg 8,10,13,17,19,22,24,not a set that I won't use the snap-on man will always try his best to sell a set to me but he knows that it's a game cos I won't with me. Not at there prices.

Thanks
    Oh yes, Aldi, I love it there because I got an electric car polisher for £15. Mind you, my fingers tingle when I use it because the vibration off it is off the scale. It's like using a pneumatic drill!

The only problem with cheap tools is that they can snap. I brought a 'cheap' socket set from Homebase back a few months ago and whilst trying to take a seat out of a Nissan Almera, the bit that goes over the nut just shattered in to a gazillion differnt pieces. It went back for a prompt and full refund.

The 'cheap' sets are sometimes made from composite materials and are coated in metal meaning they are cheaper that reinforced steal, hence they shatter. Hopefully though, a Torx set should be made from normal metal and will be fine, I'm sure.

Regards

James
    Lol I got that polisher too. With the state of my shoulder at the moment, doing a 4 stage detail on an 18 foot long car by hand is a bad idea. The polisher is worth the VWF for the sake of being able to use my right arm in the morning lol. As for cheap tools, well, it doesn't matter how much a tool costs, I'll break it and usually in spectacular fashion. Good old snap-on (strap-on) tools bend and snap the same as any other when I get my hands on them That's why I always buy cheap, I can take them back for a swap or refund, usually within a week of buying them so I know it's still in stock

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    dont buy to cheap. machine mart stock good tools for sensable money

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    As a rule, you should always replace the spark plugs when fitting new coils, even if your just replacing one coil, fit a new set of plugs. It's normally always the plugs that cause premature failure of the coils.

So i wouldn't bother checking your spark gaps.

Spark plugs are so taken for granted and in my day job i see so many faults relating to knackered plugs it's unbelievable!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Got back from Merthyr Tydfil tonight and the misfire is back, now I have an extra code telling me cylinder 4 is misfiring too along with 1 and 2.

Oddly I saw a mate of mine who drives an S80 and he has had his engine warning light on so my code reader came in handy as I've kept it in the car to do reads when I need to there and then on the spot. I cleared 2 fault codes on his 2001 S80 both relating to the Catalytic Converter.

Anyway, he said from the sound of the engine it could be HT leads arching. It's worth a look I suppose, unless anyone knows otherwise?

I did think about replacing sparkies anyway once the problem is fixed, as they're probably fouling up from all the misfiring.

Regards

James

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Anyway, he said from the sound of the engine it could be HT leads arching. It's worth a look I suppose, unless anyone knows otherwise?
    You don't have HT leads!!

It sounds to me like this maybe something more sinister. Have you recently jet washed your engine??
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    You don't have HT leads!!

It sounds to me like this maybe something more sinister. Have you recently jet washed your engine??
    No, I've never jet washed the engine mate and from the looks of it, it hasn't been done either.

I might change the coil packs and sparkies and see what happens.

Thread Information