Join Today
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S1mon View Post
    Chuffed for you mate!! Such a good feeling when you get your car back and can phisically feel a big improvement. ALMOST justifies the £££!

I'm dreading the day my D5 clutch goes...only on 78k though so I think I've got a while to go!! (I hope!) still trying to decided if I should get it remapped or if that'll tempt clutch fate.
    If it reassures you at all, my clutch survived 70k of plod abuse (they changed the clutch after the first 50k and left the 2nd one in till they sold it) and a further 60k of me and the father in law. You've seen what's left ^^^ and that would have probably survived another 10 k of light use (like that was gonna happen lol)
    They're pretty tough these things. Not cheap though.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

S1mon (Tuesday 19th June 2012),y2blade (Wednesday 20th June 2012)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I think most clutches are changed when the slave cylinder starts to leak or fails and the pedal goes to the floor,rather than worn out.
    That what happened to my d5 with 87k on it the plate looked like new when removed.

This user has no status

Thanks
    The clutch will stiffen up a bit soon and the bitting point will move up a bit once it's settled in.
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Really pleased for you Mr P Glad to hear all is well.

Mine too felt lovely with the new clutch/DMF/slave, it is amazing that you just get used to things being bad and don't notice "how" bad they were until new parts are fitted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Wednesday 20th June 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hello
    Martin you have taken very good pictures of the old parts.

The part no. on the old DMF is it 9480680 or is it 9480660 ?
    There are some dust on the 6th digit.
    I will explain later why iam asking.
    Cheers
    Michael

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivor View Post
    Hello

Cheers
    Michael
    OOh, the plot thickens! lol

I'm pretty sure it's a 6. I can double check tonight if you like.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivor View Post
    Hello

Cheers
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    OOh, the plot thickens! lol

I'm pretty sure it's a 6. I can double check tonight if you like.
    To my eye it looks like a 6 ...as the other "8" has a different shape bottom to it.

Edit:
    You got me curious, so I Just did a search.
    Volvo part number 9480660 comes up with a flywheel
    Volvo part number 9480680 comes up NA

BTW
    These other numbers are also Dual-mass flywheels 9480480, 9176206, 9458092

10. The Following User Says Thank You to y2blade For This Useful Post:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I would say its 9480660

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

12. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

y2blade (Wednesday 20th June 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice one Martin.
    Enjoy!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmie For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi
    Do i understand this correct. Martin you have a 2003 V70 T5 (B5234T5 which have been fitted with a newer gearbox with 23 spline input shaft.
    The reason that i am so interested in this matter is that some time ago i was offered a nearly brand new DMF form a Ford Focus ST. The car converted for track/rally use and the DMF been replaced with a SMF and i could not resist to buy it (bargain) and i thought it was nice to have a spare one.
    The flywheel looks exactly the same as yours except it has the part no.31259452 which fits the B5254T2 engines and the Ford Focus vith volvo engines.Also all the later cars uses the gearbox with 23 splines and it was also used on the M66 box.
    I have a 2001 V70 B5244T3 which uses the same DMF as yours.
    What is the difference between these flywheels.It seem that both the 20 and 23 spline cluches can be used.

Thanks
    the splines on the clutch plate have nothing to do with the flywheel, that is, the clutch plate connects to the 23 tooth shaft from the gearbox and the flywheel bolts to the crank (engine) the only thing that connects the gearbox to the flywheel is the friction lining when the clutch is engaged.
    if you have the 23 tooth unit, you're probably better off as it is a bit more heavy dudy than the other one.

oh, it's a B5234t3 ; ) B - (?) 5 -(number of cylinders) 23 - (cc 2319) 4 - (4valves oer cylinder) t - (turbo) 3 - (which turbo... i think)
    im not sure what the difference between the flywheels would be, possibly weight or spring capacity?
    hth

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    the splines on the clutch plate have nothing to do with the flywheel, that is, the clutch plate connects to the 23 tooth shaft from the gearbox and the flywheel bolts to the crank (engine) the only thing that connects the gearbox to the flywheel is the friction lining when the clutch is engaged.
    if you have the 23 tooth unit, you're probably better off as it is a bit more heavy dudy than the other one.

oh, it's a B5234t3 ; ) B - (?) 5 -(number of cylinders) 23 - (cc 2319) 4 - (4valves oer cylinder) t - (turbo) 3 - (which turbo... i think)
    im not sure what the difference between the flywheels would be, possibly weight or spring capacity?
    hth
    the beginning letters for engine codes relate to......(B = Petrol) (D=Diesel)
    Volvo S60 T5 SE 2002

18. The Following User Says Thank You to d2k For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 22nd June 2012)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Might get the number of teeth that the cps uses thats different

Thanks
    Bit of a bitsa then is she lol

She's definately got the LK box but not the 4.0:1 FDR (because I've done 143 in 4th @6000rpm) and she definately has the larger shaft too...

EDIT, she also has a smaller shift arm than is pictured too...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Might get the number of teeth that the cps uses thats different
    Hi Martin
    I know this thread is a liitle old now. But the gearbox is correct for your car. The gearbox was changed to from 20 to 23 splines
    in 2002 so it is not a bitsa as your car is a 2003. Strange that the part supplier did not knew that.
    Kind reg.
    Michael

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ivor For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 8th November 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    DMF is chirping like a bluetit!
    So thats where its coming from!!!!!!
    Current Cars
    2000 PII T5 - 207K
    2000 PI V70 - 147K
    Previous Cars
    1996 855 GLT - over 300k

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm just pondering what to do with my 2005 2.4 T5 SE, previously enjoyed by Plod-U-Like, and now with 191K on the clock it has a dead clutch. What's more annoying is that I'd sold it, the chap picked it up and got 3 miles out of my yard before the clutch it no worky no more and gone stinky!

According to the service documentation, it had a clutch and DMF at 95K. I bought it at 114K in July '08.

So, I'm left with a car that doesn't go!! My quandry is that I had sold it for a knock down £1500, so to spend anything more than a couple of hundred sovs on it to get it going again for sale would not be cost effective considering what I could get for it if I broke it.

The other plan is to do the clutch, gut the interior, fit the spare OMP race seat I have laying in the workshop, replace all of the suspension bushes with nylatron, a spot more lowering, and go play trackdays with it!

While I'm at it, I'll replace the cambelt (I have a full kit in stock), and the exhaust gasket which has a little blow that goes away once it's warmed up.

It's looking more like the latter, and to that end I'll be looking at a SMF, and a sprung paddle plate clutch. Other than the usual suspects - Don at Kalmar Union, who else makes a SMF and clutch for my beasty?

Regarding the local suppliers getting parts wrong - our local Lucas service centre are unable to get the right parts for mine. I get everything genuine Volvo normally via our local ambulance workshop (who get a substantial discount) - I've had the wrong plugs via the "aftermarket" suppliers as my T5 has the 25mm reach plugs, not the 20mm jobs. Mine also has a T5R air filter. And if you want pukka front pads with wear indicators, you have to go genuine as the aftermarket can only supply the standard XC90 brakes which, I'm told, don't have them.

Thanks
    By track toy, I guess you mean "no MOT - trailored to the event" kind of track toy as removing seats, lining etc will trigger all sorts of MOT failing warnings - worst of which, the SRS warning.

The 2.4 T5 has a lot of tuning potential so would be fun, if a little heavy.

I got a set of plod pads last year, from Euro, but they don't do them any more afaik.
    I'm guessing you mean you have the S60R/V70R type air filter? (normal on the post 2004 T5 models), I'd pull the lid off it and fit a performance filter to it for some extra noise

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The removal of the front seats would normally trigger SRS failures as the CanBus loop would be disconnected to the seatbelt pre-tensioners, and the seat airbags. one possible solution here is to leave the 3-point belt anchors in situ, and the wiring associated with it.

I know on Fords you can disable the airbags, as we do with some of the ambulance rapid response cars (where the passenger seat area is covered with a "pod" for comms equipment). I can't see why that can't be done for the Volvo. Another option would be to trick the system that the "offending" components are there and fully functional.

With all of the "junk" removed, gutting the doors properly, etc.. the weight can be reduced by a lot!

I'll most likely be trailered to/from events anyway.

Quite a bit more to think about before it's repaired, or broken (or repaired then broken in another manner!)
    Support your local Air Ambulance charity!

Thanks
    Front seats are about 50kg each, the armored back seats are almost as heavy. the rear bench part of the seat is very light however. If it's ex-plod, it'll have a reinforced chassis too. I'm not sure where they add this but it adds a fair bit of weight. The CEM is hidden in the dash somewhere too so be careful removing parts of the dash.

Doors are super-heavy as is the tailgate (even though it's made from plastic).

You can add a resistor in place of an airbag to fool the system but I don't know what rating to use.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information