Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation Mis-fire Judder is back and smell of burning oil! Help!!

Hi

Ok, unfortunately the mis-fire/judder is back..

I was driving back from work tonight, about a mile from home I did a slight 'hill start' after giving way to a car and the car juddered and it was worse under acceleration. Also, the engine warning light came on intermittently and when I got home, I was even more worried... I could smell a bit of burning oil type smell and there was a little smoke too along with the judder, although the rpm needle wasn't going up and down too much but the engine sounded rough.

I'm really worried now, I don't know whether there is something seriously wrong with the engine or not. Why the burning oil smell and engine warning light? Yikes!

There's been no oil leaks from the engine block and the car hasn't long been serviced. I know the throttle body is the repaired Magnetti unit too thanks to the help of some of you in this forum.

If it's any help, I'd been using the cruise control on the way home tonight for a few miles so is it linked to that perhaps in some way indirectly or directly?

From the symptoms described, has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks for any advice....

Regards

James

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Have you had the pcv looked at yet ,are you using engine oil ?.
    Did you see any oil smoke from the engine bay.

crank case breather system - Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:23
    Hi I had the same problem on my S60R the breather system as shot,& some!.
    The car also had a full service history from Volvo.

1 The small pipe from the firetrap box to the camshaft cover was broken in a number places.

2 I had steam smoking from the dipstick tube and a lot from the main oil filler cap when removed.

3 The top of the engine where the spark plugs / coils are was full of used engine oil.

4 But the main problem was if i parked not on level ground, slope to the near side ,leave the car start the car from cold then i had a seen from James bond with the level of smoke from the exhaust then check the oil level it would loose about 1/2 l oil.

This was a real problem by now so had the hole system changed.
    what i found was a real eye opener have a look at the photos.

what was going wrong when the oil was cold it was thick and would fill up the firetrap box as the drain hole was blocked that went back to sump,then vent pipe that goes to the low pressure (vacuum) side of the turbo would suck the oil from the box and blow it into the engine not good for the cat in the exhaust !!.

All fixed now and have a vacuum at the oil filler cap like it should.

Sorry for the full story but i hope this will help someone .
    Harvey
    Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Harvey; Wednesday 28th March 2012 at 19:41..
    Hi found this old thread I did a while ago.
    Last edited by Harvey; Sunday 27th May 2012 at 12:29.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    It might be worth checking the rocker cover gasket isn't leaking. Look down the wells were the spark plugs sit, if one or more is full of oil, that's your problem.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Thanks chaps, I'll take a look but I'm also thinking, as the problem is intermittent, it could likely be the air flow meter causing a fuel/air inbalance?

I'll keep and eye on it today but the problem seems to occur at the end of a journey when the engine is warm.

Regards

James

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Have you had a code reader on it yet? Maf can be leaned with some carb cleaner, worth a try.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Have you had a code reader on it yet? Maf can be leaned with some carb cleaner, worth a try.
    Hi Martin

I'm going to go to the 'main stealer' in the morning to get the reader put on it and hopefully get some straight answers.

The car has been seriously bad today and I had to drive over a mountain road with the engine warning light screaming blue murder at me and the juddering just making the journey very unpleasent. I reluctantly had to rev the guts off it to get to work this morning and it made me late.

I've found out that it's not likely the MAF today because I disconnected the electrical plug from the MAF and the judder/misfire was still there. At one point the car conked out at a stand still and I had to restart the engine.

Someone at work suggested it could be the Lambda sensor that's faulty.

Interestingly, after work I pulled off and the car was juddering like mad but smoothed out after I'd put it on the dual carriageway and given it a run at 60 - 70mph although there was still something not right. I then stopped off on route for a few hours before driving home tonight and no suprises, the car started juddering badly again in almost exactly the same point in the journey as yesterday, around 20 - 21 miles in and about a miles or two from home.

Very odd. I'll hopefully get some straight answers tomorrow. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!

Regards

James
    Last edited by JamesT5; Sunday 27th May 2012 at 23:43.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Hi Martin

I'm going to go to the 'main stealer' in the morning to get the reader put on it and hopefully get some straight answers.

The car has been seriously bad today and I had to drive over a mountain road with the engine warning light screaming blue murder at me and the juddering just making the journey very unpleasent. I reluctantly had to rev the guts off it to get to work this morning and it made me late.

I've found out that it's not likely the MAF today because I disconnected the electrical plug from the MAF and the judder/misfire was still there. At one point the car conked out at a stand still and I had to restart the engine.

Someone at work suggested it could be the Lambda sensor that's faulty.

Interestingly, after work I pulled off and the car was juddering like mad but smoothed out after I'd put it on the dual carriageway and given it a run at 60 - 70mph although there was still something not right. I then stopped off on route for a few hours before driving home tonight and no suprises, the car started juddering badly again in almost exactly the same point in the journey as yesterday, around 20 - 21 miles in and about a miles or two from home.

Very odd. I'll hopefully get some straight answers tomorrow. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!

Regards

James
    Sounding like coil packs to me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Monday 28th May 2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Sounding like coil packs to me
    That's exactly what i was thinking.

Is it using loads of fuel?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    That's exactly what i was thinking.

Is it using loads of fuel?
    My money is on the Lambda sensor but I'm quite happy to hold my hands up if I'm wrong.

One thing I've almost ruled out is the Throttle Body as the turbo still whistles away and tonight I did actually managed to get some get up and go out of the car (when it beahved itself).

Thanks chaps and watch this space tomorrow night to see if I've got any answers from the dealer.

Regards

James

Thanks
    I'll be watching with interest mate. Get the stealer to diagnose the problem but if you can hold on, get the parts elsewhere and do the work yourself

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    I'll be watching with interest mate. Get the stealer to diagnose the problem but if you can hold on, get the parts elsewhere and do the work yourself
    Ok, I'll get a 'quote' from the 'stealer' to be polite but I'll check out ebay for the parts!

Regards

James

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Could be a blocked cat, but coilpacks are sounding favourite.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Really need those codes read before changing anything.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Me and wobblydave have coilpacks for sale if it turns out to be that. Give myself of dave a pm if you need them
    Bubba

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bubba_1986 For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 28th May 2012)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba_1986 View Post
    Me and wobblydave have coilpacks for sale if it turns out to be that. Give myself of dave a pm if you need them
    Thanks mate, I'll see what the diagnostics turn out. On that subject........

I visited the 'main stealer' today and reluctantly booked the car in for Thursday morning. I'm crying at the price of £76 per hour but compared to the cost of 'guessing' and just fitting random parts at cost, a main stealer will at least be able to tell me what the problem is for definate. I know how many on here share my disgust at the price of the stealerships labour charges so I'm going to try and drop in to my local ATS Euromaster tomorrow and see if they can read my codes for me. If they can't, then I might try some local inde garages.

Failing that, at least I have the option to visit the main stealer on Thursday morning. It's unlikely I'll have the problem fixed there unless the cost is minimal and the hassle will outway the benefit of having it fixed.

2 questions for those who are mechanically minded......

1) How easy are coil packs to change at home and will I need special tools?

2) Where is the Lambda sensor (in case it's that), is it on the exhaust or in the inlet manifold and again is it a DIY job and will I need special tools?

Thanks everyone!

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    What ever happens here, I will be sharing the results with everyone so there is a point of reference for anyone else suffering the same issues.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    coil packs are a doddle to change, they just plug in and push down onto the plugs.

The lamda is on the downpipe\cat section and is taken off with a spanner
    Bubba

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Coil packs easy to change hard part is getting cover off will need a Torx key,10mm socket.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba_1986 View Post
    coil packs are a doddle to change, they just plug in and push down onto the plugs.

The lamda is on the downpipe\cat section and is taken off with a spanner
    When I went on to Euro Car Parts website the 'Ignition Coil' is about £58 for 1. if I've got to buy 6, that's gonna be expensive, or is the ignition coil a different part?....

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vo...e64d789&000197

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Hi they will tell you if one or more is at fault when computer reads codes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 28th May 2012)

Thread Information