Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Injection

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    There is no hornets nest surrounding WMI - none of the nay sayers have tried it. It isn't fit and forget like an intercooler. Experimentation is the way to get a result. My tune runs quite rich under load compared to some (another potential hornets nest) and Daves water on fire analogy is not to be ignored. If I run a big jet and water only I get "rich misfire" as the spark doesn't ignite the mixture. If I run a big jet and methanol I get no misfire and no retard - great. If I run a big jet and a methanol/water mix I need to watch the water content but running a small jet and water is fine - great. In a leaner situation you could use more water but again it's just experimentation.

In your position I wouldn't hesitate. The big power numbers on the leader board all run it - some water only and some methanol only.

Edit. The thread below is from the regrettable "Shut the §§§§ up Jardon!" era but has some worthwhile info posted. If nothing else it's a good example of sane people going berserk:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28652
    Is it a volvo thing or certain groups/forums? As i'v met quite a few people running big power on datsuns (skylines, s13s, s14s etc) and only one was using WI.

Not arguing, just wondering why some groups seem to go for while others don't.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Jardon is Jedi level at tuning so I believe whatever he says!

WI is useful on higher custom tunes... but just not really necessary on regular bolt ons and remaps - especially if you live in Scotland !

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    i was interested in getting some knowledge on this topic, but within 3 posts i got lost by all the abbreviations...

FMIC
    IAT'S
    FFS
    WOT

This user has no status

Thanks
    FMIC - Front mounted intercooler
    IAT - Intake air temperature
    FFS - for **** sake :p
    WOT - Wide open throttle
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MattM For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Wednesday 23rd May 2012)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigoodwood View Post
    i was interested in getting some knowledge on this topic, but within 3 posts i got lost by all the abbreviations...

FMIC
    IAT'S
    FFS
    WOT

You have to pretend what you know what all that means - that's what being a real man is all about!

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Wednesday 23rd May 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks

WI.......save your money for decent Intercooler

Hi Matt,

The sole function of water injection is avoiding detonation and you will not be getting any detonation as the ECM reacts to the high intake temperatures caused by the limitations of the standard Intercooler. I would save your money and spend it on a decent uprated Intercooler.

Regards,
    Hamish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hamish For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Wednesday 23rd May 2012)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Or Put a Holset turbo on it ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Or Put a Holset turbo on it ?
    I was right with that one too My prophecy that it will not work is still true.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    I was right with that one too My prophecy that it will not work is still true.
    Didn't he do a dyno pull at 285bhp on the standard map ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Its current status is not working

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh dear... I did wonder why he'd stopped posting about it! Then it was for sale.

What went wrong with it ??

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    i know a T-5 that ran 297bhp on a standard map

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    But that had nothing to do with the Holset turbo.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

18. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

mitchyboy01 (Thursday 24th May 2012)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Aha.. the plot thickens !

What went wrong with it ?

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Aha.. the plot thickens !

What went wrong with it ?
    Head Gasket, and a problem with the badly modified cylinder head. so nothing to do with the turbo at all.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Thursday 24th May 2012),t5_monkey (Thursday 24th May 2012)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Head Gasket, and a problem with the badly modified cylinder head. so nothing to do with the turbo at all.
    So the Holset turbo was just fine ?

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    So the Holset turbo was just fine ?
    Yep, and I'm about to fit one to mine, once I've sorced one at the right money
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Yep, and I'm about to fit one to mine, once I've sorced one at the right money
    NOOO Hamish!! Another Holset!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Jardon is Jedi level at tuning so I believe whatever he says!

WI is useful on higher custom tunes... but just not really necessary on regular bolt ons and remaps - especially if you live in Scotland !
    I'm so not!!! - more like an annoying C3P0 I suspect. Though there is something mystical about the good and dark side of the force with this WMI business isn't there? I agree that if Matt has plans for the car he should bank on fitting an uprated intercooler.

However, for now isn't there some mileage in fitting in fitting a kit to squirt a small quantity of water/methanol to avoid that situation? His ECM will react well before detonation but in doing so some performance edge is lost.

I see Hamish's point about there not being a requirement for engine safety but in terms of retaining power there will be a "gain" - provided we use the less is more rule and don't overdo the volume of W/M.

I'm talking about M:W 50:50 triggering at ~10-12 psi so only active when approaching full load and ~200cc/min. This would be enough to significantly influence intake temperatures and at <10% of WOT fuelling it shouldn't cause rich misfire.

In the event of the latter I would run a smaller jet or a methanol rich mixture eg: M:W 70:30 that taxes the spark less. That's how it worked for me anyway.

We could discuss "necessary" all day long - it depends on the car and what the user wants. If IAT's are not high at WOT then don't bother. If you drive like a granny then don't bother. Matt sounds like he will be driving in a manner that gets gets the car into an "ECM intervenes for safety" situation so perhaps necessary applies if he wants to make the most of his set up.

I'm not saying WMI is a better option than an intercooler - just another choice to consider. If I was Matt and had £1000 lying about I would probably go with the intercooler as it's fit and forget with improved flow - then look at how the car performs. If I was going to track it I would add the intercooler and WMI as a means of taking some heat out of the high load/high rpm equation.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

MattM (Thursday 24th May 2012),t5_monkey (Thursday 24th May 2012)

Thread Information