Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Injection

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    I'm so not!!! - more like an annoying C3P0 I suspect. Though there is something mystical about the good and dark side of the force with this WMI business isn't there? I agree that if Matt has plans for the car he should bank on fitting an uprated intercooler.

However, for now isn't there some mileage in fitting in fitting a kit to squirt a small quantity of water/methanol to avoid that situation? His ECM will react well before detonation but in doing so some performance edge is lost.

I see Hamish's point about there not being a requirement for engine safety but in terms of retaining power there will be a "gain" - provided we use the less is more rule and don't overdo the volume of W/M.

I'm talking about M:W 50:50 triggering at ~10-12 psi so only active when approaching full load and ~200cc/min. This would be enough to significantly influence intake temperatures and at <10% of WOT fuelling it shouldn't cause rich misfire.

In the event of the latter I would run a smaller jet or a methanol rich mixture eg: M:W 70:30 that taxes the spark less. That's how it worked for me anyway.

We could discuss "necessary" all day long - it depends on the car and what the user wants. If IAT's are not high at WOT then don't bother. If you drive like a granny then don't bother. Matt sounds like he will be driving in a manner that gets gets the car into an "ECM intervenes for safety" situation so perhaps necessary applies if he wants to make the most of his set up.

I'm not saying WMI is a better option than an intercooler - just another choice to consider. If I was Matt and had £1000 lying about I would probably go with the intercooler as it's fit and forget with improved flow - then look at how the car performs. If I was going to track it I would add the intercooler and WMI as a means of taking some heat out of the high load/high rpm equation.
    You win the Henry Kissinger award for diplomacy!

Your competition is Hamish so don't feel too awesome about it

I agree both is better, but definitely FMIC first.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Great read but it all went

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Thursday 24th May 2012)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    There's little point fitting any of this unless Matt know's for sure that he is reaching the limits based on a standard remap. Like Jardon said -pointless for pottering about. Matt - are you driving the S60 like you stole it?

I wouldn't spend a penny more unless you were looking to do some quasi motor sport - be that track days or 1/4 miles.

You'll most like need to flow up the back half of your T5 (fitting a downpipe & race cat) before your stock FMIC becomes a restriction.

Whether WI or WMI is a viable option or not it will still take some careful mapping & tweaking to get it going properly.

IMHO there are many more things to do before slapping WI on it.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Its current status is not working
    That's strange, I'm sure I was driving it today and beat a nice Cupra R. Maybe I dreamt it.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Thursday 24th May 2012),S70T5Chris (Thursday 24th May 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Yep, and I'm about to fit one to mine, once I've sorced one at the right money
    Only problem I've had is the original TD04 oil return is not big enough. It's 16mm and the Holset needs 19mm. All ok so far, but i will need to mod the return if it eventually blows the seals. This is an oversight by me and by no means a problem with the turbo itself

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Thursday 24th May 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Head Gasket, and a problem with the badly modified cylinder head. so nothing to do with the turbo at all.
    Head was fine mate, just needed the solid lifters adjusting which is a days job to do properly and needed the car ASAP. so put a stock hydro head on it to save time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

claymore (Thursday 24th May 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info chaps, very helpful.
    For now I think I'll stop giving it so much on the road, too easy to hit silly speed.

All I know is that when I went out with Tim Williams he gave it some in 3rd and IAT hit around 57 degrees - and that was on a fairly cool day, so not too hard to get over 60 degrees. But as it's been said, shouldn't really being giving that much welly on the roads anyway.
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

This user has no status

Thanks
    How about nitrous to cool the charge temp down?

This user has no status

Thanks
    We have just fitted these to the drag bike and iat is down to about 24 degrees and i can now run the same amount of power with 10psi less boost https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...type=1&theater

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1260pete View Post
    How about nitrous to cool the charge temp down?
    Yep, that will work, as long as it get's into the engine and not all over the floor
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    last year we did the same with nitrous and just used a small shot in the up pipe around 60bhp but it helped the turbo spin up very fast and kept the charge seriously cold too

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yep, that will work, as long as it get's into the engine and not all over the floor
    yep it works very well and would be very simple and cheap to build up a kit and just to use when its really needed

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1260pete View Post
    yep it works very well and would be very simple and cheap to build up a kit and just to use when its really needed
    Claymores a bit of an old hand when it come to nos, even though it doesn't always go where it should! lol
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information