Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Injection

This user has no status

Thanks

Water Injection

Has anyone had water injection fitted to their car? I'm seriously considering this as we approach summer time and IAT will be higher. On a run with Tim Williams we logged IAT and it was quite easy to hit 60 degrees, where by retardation occurs.
    2005 S60 T5 - Remapped 321BHP

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Just get an epic FMIC

you don't need WI at the remap stage.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    A FMIC would be nice, but at £1,000 it's not the best value. Water injection is around the £300 mark.

I can hit over 60 degrees IAT with my map and that's not even a hot day.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM View Post
    A FMIC would be nice, but at £1,000 it's not the best value. Water injection is around the £300 mark.

I can hit over 60 degrees IAT with my map and that's not even a hot day.
    I would beg to differ most would go the FMIC route, as you'll need that anyway if you do further upgrades like injectors, downpipe etc.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    - FMIC - Be worth putting on TORQUE to see if it is getting close to retarding.

Anyway - how hard are you driving on the road?? If you're gettng any where near your retard limits - you need to slow the VPCUK down.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Water injection will help a lot bringing temps down but as monkey said get a bigger FMIC as well

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    FMIC shouldn't cost a grand tho .... shop around or maybe get a custom - probs about £400.. and a WI kit will cost on fitting too.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Can I unplug the hole on the hornet's nest entrance & say that in my overly biased yet humble opinion WI doesn't work?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Tuesday 22nd May 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Can I unplug the hole on the hornet's nest entrance & say that in my overly biased yet humble opinion WI doesn't work?
    Why's that Dave?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    FMIC shouldn't cost a grand tho .... shop around or maybe get a custom - probs about £400.. and a WI kit will cost on fitting too.
    I'm only really interested in the FMIC Tim Williams has sourced. Something to think about when I get the other mods sorted.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM View Post
    Why's that Dave?
    What happens to a fire when you pour water on it? I guess this particular arguement will depend muchly on what you put in the WI bottle.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    I'm with dave and the monkey on this one.
    A fmic is a better solution for most cars and having seen the temps recorded on daves when he's been on the track, you can see that it does the job very well.

WI could be something to look at when you already have a fmic, yet the temps are still high, although even then i'd say it would be better to look at your current set up and see why its happening. Something like - is the turbo running a lot of boost and is no longer being efficient therefore causing high IATs - etc.

Although driving a NA car, engine temps are something i don't have to worry about anymore. ;-)
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    FFS Dave, did you have to, I can see this thread about to spiral out of controle.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

15. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Tuesday 22nd May 2012)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    FFS Dave, did you have to, I can see this thread about to spiral out of controle.
    Its a lovely day so everyone should be in a good mood and hopefully it'll be a discussion not an argument.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Sorry!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Wednesday 23rd May 2012),T5frankie (Wednesday 23rd May 2012)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    high iat sittin there monkey pmsl

This user has no status

Thanks
    My experience based on a few years of water and or methanol injection is that it will make no difference if you are pootling (much like my answer on your brakes thread really). At 50+C (which is easy on a stock intercooler and remap if you give it some) the ECU is very likely to retard ignition and/or richen up fuelling based on knock sensor and IAT sensor input. As a quick and cheap fix WMI was a no-brainer - based on my experience. IAT's fell from >60C in winter to 40C in summer at WOT. On a hot day of open road enjoyment there was a noticeable difference in how the car felt after a few blats with the Aquamist kit fitted.

With a better intercooler my IATS are way lower than with the stock one so definitely keep it on your shopping list as flow improvements will pick up some lost power too. With several map revisions made to increase advance with the Aquamist running I get aggressive retard without WMI and no retard with it on - I have been driving without it recently and was beginning to wonder if I could get away without it but now the ambients are climbing it turns out I can't. My intake temps are below ambient at WOT.

There is no hornets nest surrounding WMI - none of the nay sayers have tried it. It isn't fit and forget like an intercooler. Experimentation is the way to get a result. My tune runs quite rich under load compared to some (another potential hornets nest) and Daves water on fire analogy is not to be ignored. If I run a big jet and water only I get "rich misfire" as the spark doesn't ignite the mixture. If I run a big jet and methanol I get no misfire and no retard - great. If I run a big jet and a methanol/water mix I need to watch the water content but running a small jet and water is fine - great. In a leaner situation you could use more water but again it's just experimentation.

In your position I wouldn't hesitate. The big power numbers on the leader board all run it - some water only and some methanol only.

Edit. The thread below is from the regrettable "Shut the §§§§ up Jardon!" era but has some worthwhile info posted. If nothing else it's a good example of sane people going berserk:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28652
    Last edited by jardon; Wednesday 23rd May 2012 at 18:34.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

Chad (Thursday 24th May 2012),Dangerous Dave (Thursday 24th May 2012),dtp (Wednesday 23rd May 2012),Redbrick (Wednesday 23rd May 2012),t5_monkey (Wednesday 23rd May 2012)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    As it happens I'm fitting an AEM kit tomorrow. Aquamist 1S system up for grabs fairly soon.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    As it happens I'm fitting an AEM kit tomorrow. Aquamist 1S system up for grabs fairly soon.
    interested in the old system
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Thread Information