Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2009 S40 T5 Clutch

Hi All,

Last month i bought my first volvo , a 2009 S40 T5. Its a lovely car and pulls so smoothly through the rev range. I absolutely love it.

I do however have what i believe to be an issue with the car that i am hoping someone can help me with. When doing a quick gear change above 5000 rpm the clutch pedal sort of stays down for a second ( with my foot removed) and then springs back up. I have spoken with the garage who i purchased the car from and to cut along story short they have informed me that volvo have said its a "trait" of the S40 T5 engine. Now before i disagree with them it would be good to hear from other owners who have the T5 engine to find out if they have the same issue.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 001Ben; Monday 14th May 2012 at 23:43. Reason: to add thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 001Ben For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Tuesday 15th May 2012)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Hi Ben, and welcome I have the estate version of your car a little older with 136k and running a few mods and I can't say I have noticed anything like you have mentioned. How many miles had your car run and is it still under Volvo
    Warranty?
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Ben, I have the C30 T5 on a 2007 plate. same engine and same rolling gear. all chassis, engine, gearbox, everything is the same apart from the shell. I have never experienced this before, so i would say that there is a fault with the clutch somewhere. I dont see how the engine can make the clutch stop down for a short while. hope this helps! And it should be just in warranty if its 09!

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 001Ben View Post
    Hi All,

Last month i bought my first volvo , a 2009 S40 T5. Its a lovely car and pulls so smoothly through the rev range. I absolutely love it.

I do however have what i believe to be an issue with the car that i am hoping someone can help me with. When doing a quick gear change above 5000 rpm the clutch pedal sort of stays down for a second ( with my foot removed) and then springs back up. I have spoken with the garage who i purchased the car from and to cut along story short they have informed me that volvo have said its a "trait" of the S40 T5 engine. Now before i disagree with them it would be good to hear from other owners who have the T5 engine to find out if they have the same issue.

Thanks in advance
    Hey Ben I'm Ben too! Although Known as MONKEY BOY usually around these parts.

Not really had the same issue as yourself, suspect they may be fobbing you off. Have you considered taking it to a good independent garage, or posting up on STOOC (st owners club) ?

Bottom line - get it inspected properly, a new clutch won't be cheap (but is a chance to upgrade to a Focus RS clutch ! )

If you do this quickly and find fault you can return the car or push the original garage into fixing it.

The return spring can be known to break on these also - Get on google and search the forum (and Volvo owners club) and Focus ST owners club (same basic car) and you'll be bound to find someone who's had a similar fault.

Just to note - this is not a characteristic. Mine can fail to bite immediately sometimes if I really cane it on a change (it's stage 3 too so a lot more torque), but it doesn't replicate what you're describing

PS... post up some photos!
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Tuesday 15th May 2012 at 14:17.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 001Ben View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance
    hi mate,
    have lots of mates with the manual s40's and no one has had this kind of trouble...
    take it back mate they are fobbing you off...

This user has no status

Thanks
    wow what a good response , i am so glad i joined this forum.

I will phone them tomorrow to see what they say, so far i have taken the car back twice and on the second occasion they had it for 4 days and replaced the fluid!

This user has no status

Thanks
    i will be taking some better pics at the weekend, but for now.........

p.s the car has got 33K on it and is standard

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    sounds like you may need the clutch bleeding or your release bearing is not working properly

This user has no status

Thanks
    They have bled it twice and replaced the fluid and it's still doing it. It does also sound like there is a stone in the tyres when I'm driving at low speeds which seems to be clutch related issue.

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    Good luck getting it sorted quite unusual
    A clutch messing up with those low miles age I
    have owned several t5 and only change one clutch and that was 145k. I have heard the focus st clutch is a bit week mine when tunned with big torque.

Mine went a bit sloppy once but it's far from standard and was being seriously abused on the track.
    2004 V50 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well it's going into the dealership to be looked at next week. So let's see what happens, I will keep you all updated.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 001Ben For This Useful Post:

lance (Friday 18th May 2012),t5_monkey (Friday 18th May 2012)

Thread Information