Join Today

Thread: water loss

Thanks

water loss

Dont know if it could be an air lock or what, but fill header tank to max mark use motor and it drops to min, no signs of leaks any were this causes the low coolant light to come on if standing for any lenght of time goes back off when you move again, if the presure is released at the cap when this happens the level rises as would be expected and happens if you do 10 mile or 110 mile, as yet never lost more than that amount so dont think its head gasket but dont know any ideas or do i need to get a sniffer test done some were thanks in advance paul

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Check the carpet in the passenger footwell, if it's damp, change the heater matrix.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

MIXA (Friday 11th May 2012)

Thanks
    thanks for that Martin yes the carpet is damp in pasenger front footwell so looks like you have solved both my problems in one go need to sorce one and work out how to do the job 1st volvo so think a manual is in order thanks again

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Changing the matrix is pretty easy AFAIK, comes out from under the glovebox. There's a gow - to guide somewhere on the forum...
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

8. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just had a look and lifted the pasenger carpet and was damp in the middle of the footwell, and smells slightly like antifreeze and feels oily, no sign of a leak from matrix area while cold so going to leave carpet folded back and .see what happens.no water marks anywere.

Been told when i priced the matrix to check the o rings as they perish.

I have also been told that the main rad can leak were the plastic joins to the metal but only when warming up /cooling down but cant see how it wouldnt leak when at operating temp the temp gauge stays in the middle of the gauge even on a long run and only loss is the small amout min-max in header

if i cant find a leak doing this i will link the heater pipes in the enginebay if it cures it i will then know for sure

Thanks
    This is typical just been out to town carpet folded back header on max did fill it to top this morning but once i had run it up to temp when i went back to it ,it had dropped to the max mark which i had expected exsess blown out of cap i imagine
    anyway got back from town and level still on max may drop as it cools down ? , can here water rush through matrix as i move off and when i accelerate dont know if this is normal but no water under car non in footwell at moment but there is a smell in car of antifreeze but not strong all the while havent lifted drivers carpet yet but feels dry
    so i think i am going to bypass the matrix for a while just to be sure as i dont want to spend on a matrix to find out its some thing else

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIXA View Post
    This is typical just been out to town carpet folded back header on max did fill it to top this morning but once i had run it up to temp when i went back to it ,it had dropped to the max mark which i had expected exsess blown out of cap i imagine
    anyway got back from town and level still on max may drop as it cools down ? , can here water rush through matrix as i move off and when i accelerate dont know if this is normal but no water under car non in footwell at moment but there is a smell in car of antifreeze but not strong all the while havent lifted drivers carpet yet but feels dry
    so i think i am going to bypass the matrix for a while just to be sure as i dont want to spend on a matrix to find out its some thing else

i have similar problem with my 850 t5 and it was the heater matrix, now i bought a xc70 and i can hear the water rush too i don't know is this normal thou but i have a feeling i need to change the heater matrix o ring water is escaping..

Thread Information