Join Today
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Not putting the system down, I've seen the results 1st hand and it does work but with higher mileage cars, there's a far bigger improvement with a simple injector refurb and a dose of red-ex.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

i miss my V8 too :(

Thanks
    Redex! maybe 30 years ago. if you want a "pour in" additive try something like a BG 44K

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sh0wtime View Post
    Redex! maybe 30 years ago. if you want a "pour in" additive try something like a BG 44K
    The redex is merely to have a crack at the valves etc. The difference made by a set of clean injectors on these engines is bordering on unbelievable. Mine gained 6-8 mpg and a lot more throttle response and top-end torque. I know of a fair few owners who will say the same.
    For all the big turbos, remaps, RIP kits etc, injectors are often overlooked. They have filters which clog and solenoids that get coked-up and slow down. Correct cleaning on functioning injectors makes a world of difference, especially those with 100+k on them (there's a lot of them when it comes to volvos.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 3rd February 2014)

Thanks
    yeah i know what you mean but redex is still popular because of nostalgia & the fact that people consider using anything in their fuel is "giving it a shot of redex"
    personally i'd rather go with something made specifically for modern engines & fuels
    looking at the ingredients in redex i can't see any PEA which is the "active" ingredient in all of the effective cleaners (although at varying concentrations depending on brand)
    anything that you can just walk into a shop & buy is a low strength version of the decent additives like BG or even Forte..
    but then if it's working for you then it is working for you..

if you get some time try phoning the number for the UK importers for BG products & ask to speak to somebody technical..
    after a while you might wish you hadn't but the people behind it are full on petrochemists who are starting at molecular level!
    not just a bit of naptha & benzine with some red dye.. [/tongue in cheek]

i am still on the fence as far as Terraclean goes as i haven't actually seen or experienced the difference first hand, however i keep getting good feedback from people who have it done...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sh0wtime For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 9th January 2014)

Thanks
    Like i say, the redex is only a suggestion to do the rest of the inlet system, to go with the clean injectors. I didn't use an additive when I fitted the cleaned injectors and still haven't. There's a redex injector variant that's been proven to increase fuel economy and performance but not had a go with mine. I have however, used Carplan Injector cleaner (yellow/green stuff) in my 17 year old starlet with vague improvements in the feel of the engine but it's a 1.3 auto so there's no such thing as performance there lol.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

sh0wtime (Thursday 9th January 2014)

Thanks
    well for what it costs its worth a try
    sorry, i don't mean to be argumentative & i'm not up for a row but at work when we get these old boys coming in with running problems & about 3 lines into the conversation they say things like "it should be sweet as a nut as i give it a shot of redex every time i fill up" or "once she dropped a pot i whacked some redex in but she's still the same" it truly is a rolleyes here we go again moment lol
    i guess that might be why i'm a tad prejudiced against it as a brand..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sh0wtime View Post
    well for what it costs its worth a try
    sorry, i don't mean to be argumentative & i'm not up for a row but at work when we get these old boys coming in with running problems & about 3 lines into the conversation they say things like "it should be sweet as a nut as i give it a shot of redex every time i fill up" or "once she dropped a pot i whacked some redex in but she's still the same" it truly is a rolleyes here we go again moment lol
    i guess that might be why i'm a tad prejudiced against it as a brand..
    No need to apologise mate, there's nothing wrong with a healthy discussion There's only a few additives I'm aware of and I don't use them on the volvo. With 208k miles on the clock, I don't feel compelled to start adding stuff to the fuel - it's lasted this long without it.

I know people who still use EasyStart!!! bloody heroine for engines

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 3rd February 2014),Saaamon (Monday 27th April 2015),sh0wtime (Thursday 9th January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Martin, have you made any progress on setting up your injector cleaning service? I definitely want to do mine at some stage as I still don't feel I'm getting the economy I should be (but then there are other problems still to address too, like the PCV).
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Thanks
    errrr....

PM coming your way...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just put 2 stroke oil in as it work ok in a tractor.
    Last edited by Jimmie; Thursday 9th January 2014 at 18:44.

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Has anyone tried this on a higher mileage car? My newly acquired V70R has 172k up now and while its possibly the sweetest and quietest T5 engine I've had, it struggled to get through the MoT last time around due to emissions so I'm thinking of giving the Terraclean a go... but I'm a bit concerned about cleaning all the cr@p off the valve seats and potentially making things worse???
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    i had it done on mine at 188k and the difference was ....... minimal, the numbers went down a bit but not as much as they were expecting, it just depends how looked after tyhe engine is, i suggest a stage zero tune instead and go from there.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 3rd February 2014),LiamT4 (Tuesday 4th February 2014)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Has anyone tried this on a higher mileage car? My newly acquired V70R has 172k up now and while its possibly the sweetest and quietest T5 engine I've had, it struggled to get through the MoT last time around due to emissions so I'm thinking of giving the Terraclean a go... but I'm a bit concerned about cleaning all the cr@p off the valve seats and potentially making things worse???
    172k maybe cat or lambda sensors are struggling to keep the emissions within limits?? My '98 V70R needed replacements for these items but that was probably due to a remap without an exhaust to match.

I'm not convinced about Terraclean either although I don't think it will hurt anything if you don't mind spending the money....cheaper than a cat anyway!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Tuesday 4th February 2014)

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Thanks for that. Yeah I'm going to stage 0 it anyway - some of the vacuum hoses look a bit past their best and to be honest I always do it to a new car anyway. Far better to do the work as a preventative measure than to be forever making running repairs and falling out of love with it! New tyres arrived a few hours ago, so thats one job down. Stage 0 then LPG service and full brake overhaul next...

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    As Jamesy said, your O2 sensors are probably struggling. Mine were too and mines done 135k. If the O2 sensors don't react quick enough then they won't bring the emissions down quick enough when they come off fast idle to idle test and the Lambda has to be within tolerance within 30 secs. Mine struggled but a Terraclean really helped.
    I am going to replace both my O2 sensors this year and the CAT with a 200 cell. That should massively improve things.

If your concerned about cleaning the carbon off the valves, don't be! It's a modern day fuel injected car with high emissions control, not a MK1 Ford cortina!! Trust me, your valves will be clean anyway and what little carbon build up there may be, if removed, will do the engine a world of good. A Terraclean won't make things worse.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Wednesday 5th February 2014),RollingThunder (Tuesday 4th February 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had this done on my car, C70 even though it has only done 45k on the basis I hadn't seen anything bad about the treatment.

During the treatment the car was revved to 1500rpm for the duration and about 2 thirds of the way through there was a definite change to the engine note (the car was already warm before starting) and it sounded distinctly smoother.

Whether it improves petrol consumption or not I couldn't say as I don't care about economy, if it needs petrol, I fill it up

24. The Following User Says Thank You to tichai For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Tuesday 4th February 2014)

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Thanks again guys, looks like its a no brainer then Another job added to the list

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sam it was only the MAF that packed in while on the emission test
    Saffy MAF fitted and straight away all cream and mint
    That car needs no terra clean or whatsoever
    Don't waste ya money lol

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    Thanks Seb. MAFs gone again so I'm going to get a new Bosch one. Not a problem, I always expected to do a full Stage 0 on it anyway - its just me Going to renew all the vacuum hoses too as one split at the weekend. Some look fairly recent but some of the more awkward ones look original lol.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Just wondering if anyone had It done recently or not, or was it just a flash in the pan.

Thread Information