Join Today

Threaded View

This user has no status

Thanks

New Owner with a Few Questions

Hello all,

Well I just bought my first Volvo.. It's a 1996 850 turbo with an automatic and 201km. Bought it off a Volvo dealer who was going to scrap it because they couldn't get it running properly. Apparently the car didn't run so I had then give it a boost to make sure the timing belt wasn't broken and the car actually fired right up and ran perfect. Soon as the guy took the booster pack off, the car quit.

1. So I put a new battery in the car. The original looked older and also had a wreckers number on the side of it.. I figured it was a cheap to replace and it's a little assurance that it won't cause any problems down the road. Every single light is on the dash (cel, e-brake, fuel, coolant, battery, alternator, etc). I also did a multimeter test while the car was running and it isn't even charging(both with and without a load). The guy that drove it at the dealer said the car just stopped while driving.

2. A/C also apparently doesn't work... I've been reading and it's either the evaporator, leak in the system, low freon, or the compressor.

3. Blow motor doesn't work either. I turn the switch on and I can hear a relay clicking. I'm thinking it's either a seized motor (but wouldn't the fuse blow???) or the resistor block.

4. Rest of the car is actually in good condition besides the clear coat pealing and the trunk lid. The only bad spot is the corner of the trunk... It's actually rotten the corner and it's too hard of a spot to weld. So I wanted to swap out the lid for one off another car that is the same color. The dealer that I bought the car from has a parts one that is the same color and with no rust. But it's older and has the other style taillights. I do like the older taillights and I heard they are a direct swap, is that correct???. And will the trunk lid also fit from an older model???

5. Front seats are also a little rough... I would fix the originals but this is an excuse for an upgrade I've heard the S70 seats are a direct fit. Is this true??? What about the electrical too??? I would go to s60 seats as there is a parts car available. But they have airbags and that just equals more weight.

6. The stereo also won't turn on either. I was wondering of the car was in some sort of safety mode from the alternator not charging. The little red light does flash with the key off and once I turn the key on, it's off. I to giggle the ignition switch and no luck. Also tried to turn it on and press buttons to enter the code and still nothing. Any ideas???

Story for the long read... If anyone can help me out with the issues above, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, pictures to follow...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ProStreetDriver For This Useful Post:

t5_monkey (Monday 7th May 2012)

Thread Information