Join Today

Thread: give up..

This user has no status

Thanks

Angry give up..

hey all, still having grief with my fuel gauge, and ran out of fuel this morning, yet apparently i still have 30 litres in the tank according to the dials..... so in light of this i'm gonna put it up for sale as i can't be bothered to spend any more on it, and volvo want phenominal money to sort it.

oh well s**t happens

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo-dave View Post
    hey all, still having grief with my fuel gauge, and ran out of fuel this morning, yet apparently i still have 30 litres in the tank according to the dials..... so in light of this i'm gonna put it up for sale as i can't be bothered to spend any more on it, and volvo want phenominal money to sort it.

oh well s**t happens
    its the sender in the tank that is sticking mate just take the fuel pump and sender out of the tank and unstick it.or somebody on here will have one for you mate .

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    What have to tryed to cure this? as smith said have you replaced the sender

This user has no status

Thanks
    it all started when i fitted my boost gauge, i tee'd into the vacuum line behind the dials, but i didn't take the battery off before i diconnected the dials, since putting it all back together all the dials work except the fuel gauge goes up and down when it wants, and the digital miles-0 is way out too, otherwise its all good

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Are you sure you havent knocked summert under the dash now giving a bad connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Are you sure you havent knocked summert under the dash now giving a bad connection
    nope, even took them back out and cleaned the connections with 'leccy contact cleaner

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    The fact that you didn't disconnect the battery has more than likely confused things. Best thing is to start from scratch. Assuming your 100% confident the connection to the rear of the cluster is sound.....Disconnect the battery negative and leave for 10 minutes. Do not touch it to the live...this does nothing, trust me.
    After 10 minutes Reconnect the battery and see how things are.

Why you tee'd off from there is beyond me. The 850 T5's have a plastic vac tree on the inlet manifold. Its very easy to tee from there and by far the best place as your vacuum source is direct to the inlet manifold and not from a third party connection that may well have it's own leak or bad connection.

Report back please when done.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 5th May 2012 at 17:19.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    what about replacing with dials from another car?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If it helps, I fitted a boost guage in my 850 by tee-ing off the stock guage behind the dials which is much easier than tee-ing off the vac tree as its already inside the car! I also didn't disconnect the battery as I didn't see the point, the supply for my guage came from the head unit which obviously switches when I turn the car off. Everything works perfect and I haven't had any problems atall. Although I didn't disconnect my gauges as the vac line ran just above the footwell so it was easy to get to. Sounds like a bad connection to me but if you say you've checked it, then its all fun and games from now on pal

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    Nothing beats removing the bottom cover (3 screws) near the driver's footwell and tee-off the boost pressure from the white hose. You don't even have to remove the dashboard cover or the instrument panel.

When you fitted the electronic boost gauge, where did you take the power from ? Also there was no problems prior to this ? And after even removing the boost gauge, the problem didn't correct itself ?

Never trust the DISTANCE-TO-ZERO digital reading. Once the low-fuel warning is out, start looking for a petrol kiosk

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
    Nothing beats removing the bottom cover (3 screws) near the driver's footwell and tee-off the boost pressure from the white hose. You don't even have to remove the dashboard cover or the instrument panel.

When you fitted the electronic boost gauge, where did you take the power from ? Also there was no problems prior to this ? And after even removing the boost gauge, the problem didn't correct itself ?

Never trust the DISTANCE-TO-ZERO digital reading. Once the low-fuel warning is out, start looking for a petrol kiosk
    I took mine to 5 miles to zero the other day and I was cacking it lol!

Thread Information