Join Today

Thread: Standard sub?

"i'm not a half wit, im a
    genuine half wit"
    Thanks

Standard sub?

Hi guys im going to change the HU in the beastie, so popped it to have a quick look at whats what, and noticed that there is a lead coming from the standard HU SC-801 i think.
    is there a standard fitted sub in the car and if so where is it? or is is this a pre instaled lead if you had one fitted at time of buying?
    Ta

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kfc View Post
    Hi guys im going to change the HU in the beastie, so popped it to have a quick look at whats what, and noticed that there is a lead coming from the standard HU SC-801 i think.
    is there a standard fitted sub in the car and if so where is it? or is is this a pre instaled lead if you had one fitted at time of buying?
    Ta
    Assuming you have a V70 classic then the answer is no, you don't have a sub. Sub woofers were not fitted until P2 cars in 2001>

If you have a C70 then you may have the too large speakers in the rear seats, it may supply the amp to drive these.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

genuine half wit"
    Thanks
    no its an S70R. thanks

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Are you sure its not the sc-901, with the pro-logic center speaker?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

genuine half wit"
    Thanks
    no mate, no center speaker.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Could it be a lead that would go to a cd changer in the boot?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I think the S/V70 classics were pre wired for a changer in the boot, so it might be that. Go too the point where the mountings are for a changer and look for the other end to the lead. It should be clearly visible. If it is, you know what it's for

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

Thanks
    I have fitted a 12" sub and amp into the back of my T5 estate and I have the same HU - the SC 801. While poking around, I found the 6 pin socket marked "amp" on the back, separate from the CD changer wire.

Sextons in Portsmouth advised me that some Volvos have an in-built amplifier (not for a sub, just to power the speakers better), which is what this is for. Mine doesn't have this extra amp, so they made a cable up for me to plug into this slot, which gave me a left and right feed for the amp I have fitted for the sub.

I took my own hugh power cable straight from the battery (fused, of course) and took the amp control from the cigarette lighter, through a switch next to the gear knob and through to the amp - so that I can have the stereo on with the sub off (if at work or Missus is in car!!)

So to summise, you might have this extra amp for the speakers and not have a sub. I might be wrong, this is just what I was told when I was looking about. Hope it helps.
    There's only one Wally Dog....

Thanks
    oh, in the 850, i believe that the amp is located behind the dash, somewhere near the heater gubbins, if fitted.

genuine half wit"
    Thanks
    Howdi, had another wee look andf the HU is a 901, i was awear of the changer lead but the port marked sub is next to the ariel port. i've changed my HU for someting a little more modern. but to honest the O/E one sounds better for some reson. just not as deep sounding, and yes i have played with the loudness, bass and all that. but wee'll see what happens with a little more playing.

Thanks
    I have to admit, the sound in my 850 is pretty good from the standard HU - comparable to if not better than the Alpine 9812 HU I used to have in my Golf. I spent HOURS tweaking the sound round the car (you can actually move it front to back and side to side) to get the best depth and clarity and was amazed how good it is. I only did it as a quick fix to start off with and now plan to leave it as is.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kfc View Post
    Howdi, had another wee look andf the HU is a 901, i was awear of the changer lead but the port marked sub is next to the ariel port. i've changed my HU for someting a little more modern. but to honest the O/E one sounds better for some reson. just not as deep sounding, and yes i have played with the loudness, bass and all that. but wee'll see what happens with a little more playing.
    The 901 is what i have in my c70 and runs a standard 400w amp, plugs into AMP on the HU, the extra centre speaker when fitted goes into a small green socket in the back of the HU. once fitted its "pro-logic"
    The four 8" subs run off the amp, the other 6 tweeters, im not sure...
    The "SUB" socket is for an extra substitute ariel that was a factory extra
    Think is im not too sure how similar the S70r and C70 systems are, i would have thought that the R would run the extra amp from factory.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5678&dateline=1287350  651

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post

If you have a C70 then you may have the too large speakers in the rear seats, it may supply the amp to drive these.
    Only the rag tops had the subs in the seats (and was an extra) , and the coupe GT s had subs in the shelf
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5678&dateline=1287350  651

Thread Information