Join Today
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: gavt5's v70 t5

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Just out of curiousity - If I remove & prep my front bumper - how much would you charge to do the colour & top coats?

Would you need the whole car?
    depends on many factors, most colours you will find varients in. 435 saffron pearl for example has 9 variants in the glasurit range so for perfect matching to see the car would be beneficail depending on what colour it is. the paint i use requires a certain high build primer, and different colour base coats need different colour primers. i generally dont paint over other peoples prep as cannot guarantee the end result and i dont like anything other than mint, so bit of a hard question to answer for you. what car is yours? and what colour is it? what is the reason for painting the bumper? damaged? paint fade? laquer peel? stone chips?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    BTW can you make splitters then?
    my splitter was salved from a farbio gts, although the 211 e-class 320 estate lower splitter would also fit and look ok with a section added in the middle. i am mucking about with a old r bumper to extend the spoiler in fibreglass. work is so busy atm that i havent had much down time to do much on this recently

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    Awesome build mate! That GT3782 is a 550bhp turbo isn't it? Wow! It's going to be a monster. Best looking front end on V70 I've seen.
    yes that turbo is capable of those sort of figures. it does obviously move the power band very high but will not tail off like my little td04-19t. the turbine housing is a/r 1.12 so pretty big witha 4 inch housing and downpipe. should sound alright lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbconno View Post
    Fantastic looking car. Good to see that good old fashioned craftsmanship hasn't totally died out.

Only thing I would change are the headlamps to the clear crystal type fitted to the latter C70s. Kind of like the lime green fogs though ;-)
    fogs werent supposed to look like that but i like them too. laquer can be tinted with any colour so i just mixed some solid yellow glasurit 68 line tinter 2:1 with laquer before adding the hardener, key up the fogs with 2000 grade abralon pad using waterbased degreaser, plastic primer them (plastic primer will etch into glass if done right, spray the coloured laquer until the desired colour/opaque-ness (apoligise for the poor grammer lol) and then spray clear laquer over the top. yo can have whatever colour you like and it is removable.

or just buy lamin-x lol

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Major issues with my front bumper is the cracks & missing paint around the inlet potions - you can see the car in my garage or on BRV. Stone chips, missing paint, scars. Sadly it is one of the main things letting down the whole car.

I'd love to be able to respray the whole car - start over - but I don't have the budget.

Essentially it needs removing - rubbing down - I can get it smooth - issue I have is the colour match. A proper re-furb.
    I had it done about 4 years ago - but the years have not been kind.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Major issues with my front bumper is the cracks & missing paint around the inlet potions - you can see the car in my garage or on BRV. Stone chips, missing paint, scars. Sadly it is one of the main things letting down the whole car.

I'd love to be able to respray the whole car - start over - but I don't have the budget.

Essentially it needs removing - rubbing down - I can get it smooth - issue I have is the colour match. A proper re-furb.
    I had it done about 4 years ago - but the years have not been kind.
    what car is it mate

This user has no status

Thanks

update

started stripping down the KAD's for refurbing/painting, they were gold (hammerite or some other cheap paint), then before that blue, before that white, but originally anodised red. . . .

i will be painting them in some very special vht chromaflair tvr chameloen sunset (sagaris engine/brake paint). and will do the back calipers and disc guards to match.... will update soon peeps

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    This build makes mine look tame!

Keep up the great work

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pault5estate View Post
    This build makes mine look tame!

Keep up the great work
    thanx mate. even a labour of love can test my patience but will be on the road soon. some bits i still need to get but it wont let me post in the wanted section on here. boo

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Car is in the links in my signature. - Its a 1999 C70 T5 in Moonstone Silver. Paint code is 426

I've been quoted over 500 quid locally to have it done & address the small rust issues on 2 wheel arches.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gavt5 View Post
    thanx mate. even a labour of love can test my patience but will be on the road soon. some bits i still need to get but it wont let me post in the wanted section on here. boo
    Tell me about it, I've been working on mine for 1.5yrs now, but, every day its getting closer to being finished.

Yours should be interesting with the GT37, I thought I was being brave fitting at GT30!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Wow awesome project thread, insane build up cant wait to see the finished result! Just out of interest with that turbo, will it suffer from chronic hurrendous lag?
    Surely you will floor it, get loads of lag, start to build boost, come on boost eventually, oh my god tear your head off and hit the limiter before you can change gear lol?
    Or has the turbo been specced so that lag isn't a problem, complete amateur question as I have literally no clue how that Garett makes its power

This user has no status

Thanks
    Car is in the links in my signature. - Its a 1999 C70 T5 in Moonstone Silver. Paint code is 426

I've been quoted over 500 quid locally to have it done & address the small rust issues on 2 wheel arches.
    well the paint and materials is where the money is, you would be looking at painting the doors as blends on silvers if the rust is anything other than the front edge of wings, so more sripping out of the car would be necessary, labour is charged out by us at £40 per hour so i would say for the front bumper fully repaired, two pack primed/ painted, wings repaired/painted and doors blended, £500 is reasonale frankly. paint and material would be 125 ish and the labour time to strip, repair paint, refit and flat and polish would easily be 10 hours mate. depends if you want it done properly or cheaply really dude. ponit of note is my painjob would have been over five grand in labour and materials lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gavt5 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Friday 13th April 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin-t5r View Post
    Wow awesome project thread, insane build up cant wait to see the finished result! Just out of interest with that turbo, will it suffer from chronic hurrendous lag?
    Surely you will floor it, get loads of lag, start to build boost, come on boost eventually, oh my god tear your head off and hit the limiter before you can change gear lol?
    Or has the turbo been specced so that lag isn't a problem, complete amateur question as I have literally no clue how that Garett makes its power
    this can affected by the a/r ratios of the given turbo, the exhaust downpipe and system and the map you run. the original use of this turbo is the scania dc9 8.8l 5cyl truck, but why i chose this is the compressor map. it flows a huge amount of air at 1 bar compared to say a gt28. the maller a turbo the quicker it will spool but ultimately can pump less air, i will be using revised timing with the cams, much more advance. also will have a map for the water/meth injection and have a nitrous kit to go on. this kit will be used UP TO 1 bar and then shut off to spool the turbo. wont be too bad on lag but will blow for well over 500 bhp no problem at less than 1.7 bar

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    I figured as much - I don't actually think the quote is that bad.

I think however I may wait & save the cash to put it towards my new race engine.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Friday 13th April 2012 at 22:55.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    I see, pumping much higher volumes of air at lower boost. Gonna be a monster!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I figured as much - I don't actually think the quote is that bad.

I think however I may wait & save the cash to put it towards my new race engine.
    bearing in mind a gud v70r (desirable) bumper goes for around 150 quid, surely would be cheaper to find a good second hand one from a car being broken etc and get that in the same colour if yours is that mullered? cant imagine a good c70 bumper would be much mre than a ton?

This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Martin-t5r View Post
    I see, pumping much higher volumes of air at lower boost. Gonna be a monster!
    hope so, 450bhp is the realistic target but will likely need 1000cc injectors to do it, 4mpg anyone?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I would start stockpiling petrol in jerry cans now in preparation of another imminent fuel strike

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    That is another option I have been looking out for.

As far as your project goes - I think much beyond 500nm you will struggle to put it down & it will exceed the capabilities of the chassis. Don't get too focused on peak numbers. If you can push and hold the torque through useable RPM then it will be all good.

Ditch WI - it will not help.

What is the overall aim for this car? It seems a shame with such a lovely paint job to ruin it with unrealistic power plans.
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Friday 13th April 2012 at 23:17.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Thread Information