Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Blue injectors in an 850. findings.

Info to do with what you want.........

I put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on my car. Heres the top tip...

I always keep an eye on the MPG....With the standard 3 bar FPR my car was averaging 24.8mpg. Put the adjustable FPR on the car and wound up the fuel pressure to 3.4 bar.
    No lambda warnings (ie...its running too rich etc).
    Kept a keen eye on the MPG and its gone way UP!! Now got to an average of 28.1mpg and still rising (no change in driving style).

The blue injectors come from the ME7 T5's, they use 3.8 bar pressure. I guess that at the 3 bar the injectors arent spraying as they should and by lifting the pressure they are spraying more efficiently and hence now burning the fuel much better. Cruise at 70mph and now gets 45+ mpg easy.

Just thought I'd share my findings.

No responsibility taken for those who do this and kill their car. your choice to do with that info what you want to.

(perhaps just my old FPR couldnt handle the high output from the uprated fuel pump. you never know).
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Monday 9th April 2012)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Problem is buddy is that the ecu will adjust the fuelling as best it can to the new injectors.

If the ecu injector constant remains the same (which it will without a remap) then the reported mpg will because the ecu puts less fuel in to cope with the larger flow rate but in reality you will gain no extra mpg due to the fact that the same amount of fuel is going in and possibly it will fall if the ecu doesn't fully adapt to the new injectors. Hope this makes sense.

The same happened with mine, with the standard ecu mpg constant I was getting 34mpg on the motorway, when I realised what was happening and changed it the mpg dropped to 28mpg.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    map on mine is a custom 19T with blues.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Monday 9th April 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    or the new injectors are in better condition than the old ones?
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    map on mine is a custom 19T with blues.
    Ah, no worries then.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    mine on blues and 16t was alot better on fuel than the standard 15g and oranges that i have in my R lucky to get 30 mpg on a run out of it lol

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nottsgreent5 View Post
    mine on blues and 16t was alot better on fuel than the standard 15g and oranges that i have in my R lucky to get 30 mpg on a run out of it lol
    I'm running blues with a 16t and a rica304 on esso 97 octane, on 30 mile run up the motorway was getting 29.6 mpg. With standard ecu, turbo, injectors and normal unleaded I was only getting 24 mpg.

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

This user has no status
    Thanks
    are you still getting good mpg with the adjustable reg niles thinking of getting one for mine if its still making a genuine difference?

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've been have a on going problem with my 850 and its mpgs sinces i've had it. Around town i only get about 24 if im lucky? on the motorway im even more lucky to get 30. Temp sensor if fine, tryed second hand airflow, and lamda. mine running non map sensor. mine also has some rica chip? Did pull the injetors out a few weeks the spray patton was different on some (oranges). So i put a set in from a v70 low pressure well i sent my off for clean but i havent got round to it yet. we do have a spare set of blues at work kicking around maybe could be worth giving them ago.. deal with volvos daily just cant get my head round this one? starting to think it could be the ecu/chip. just havent tryed a different ecu yet. also poeple have said it kicks out a fare bit off black some when i put my foot down and this is with a cat. cant see it myself as i have blacked out windows.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Sounds about right 24mpg around town bit low on motorway but not much

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R-200vi View Post
    I've been have a on going problem with my 850 and its mpgs sinces i've had it. Around town i only get about 24 if im lucky? on the motorway im even more lucky to get 30. Temp sensor if fine, tryed second hand airflow, and lamda. mine running non map sensor. mine also has some rica chip? Did pull the injetors out a few weeks the spray patton was different on some (oranges). So i put a set in from a v70 low pressure well i sent my off for clean but i havent got round to it yet. we do have a spare set of blues at work kicking around maybe could be worth giving them ago.. deal with volvos daily just cant get my head round this one? starting to think it could be the ecu/chip. just havent tryed a different ecu yet. also poeple have said it kicks out a fare bit off black some when i put my foot down and this is with a cat. cant see it myself as i have blacked out windows.
    mite be worth trying a lamba sensor is it chugging a bit on tick over when mine died if you kept proding the gas pedal repetedley it would back fire it was that rich and lots of black smoke lol

New Identity
    Thanks
    I'd be lucky to get 24mpg around town, and i can only dream of 30 on a run.

The low pressure v70 injectors are 315cc same as an 850 T5.

The blues will change your mpg readout, but will still use the same (or more) amount of fuel as the standard ecu will adjust slightly for the larger injectors. To make full use of the blues you will need a remap.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Sunday 20th May 2012 at 19:51.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nottsgreent5 View Post
    mite be worth trying a lamba sensor is it chugging a bit on tick over when mine died if you kept proding the gas pedal repetedley it would back fire it was that rich and lots of black smoke lol
    It is lumpy at times yer. did take the lamda out a few days ago when i changed the oil. 2 of the 3 cut outs where blocked with carbon. havent really been able to just get a few hour to go over things really just doing bits here and there. will have to sort some time out and just get stuck in.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    on my old t5 runing the same blues i6t and rica i could get a near enough genuine 34mpg all a road driving but same set up on my R but with stage 2 mte ecu and cant get any more than 30mpg must be the map lol

Thread Information