Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

My Pride & Joy is Sick, Please Help :(

Good Afternoon All,

I own a Metallic Black 2004 S60 D5 SE Auto (2.4), and is currently on 184,000 miles.

She has never missed a heartbeat with me, but this afternoon whilst out shopping, the following error message occurred on the dash "Transmission Service Required", and then she started to BANG into gear, and whilst on the M5, she locked herself into 4th gear, and wouldn't release until I switched the ignition on and off.

Please help as I don't know where to start and Volvo's are shut until Tuesday. I live in Gloucester and just want to get her sorted.

Looking forward to some helpful replies, as to what this may be, where to go and potential costs.

Many thanks in advance.

Matthew R

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks

There's no easy way to say this, it's going to be expensive it's an auto. You could try a gearbox oil change but from what you are saying it sounds bad and we have been through three on our V70.

Sorry to be so negative.
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status

Thanks
    "Could" the gearbox oil change fix this??

If not how much is a recon box??

Where best to get the diagnosis, and the service done? And how much am i looking at for a Transmission Service?

Old Fart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbusmatt View Post
    "Could" the gearbox oil change fix this??

If not how much is a recon box??

Where best to get the diagnosis, and the service done? And how much am i looking at for a Transmission Service?
    Can't say if it would, sometimes it does, depends on how often the box had been serviced in the past.

As to a box change, we have always bought second hand, £500 to £700 plus fitting. There is a company in Bristol who do recon and fitting for around £1400 plus, you my need to hunt them down, I did a quick search on Google and the companies all wanted my bl***y life story to get a price on a recon box.

Then there's a new box!!!!
    Change the car it's cheaper
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi there,
    I found these on the Bay !! and they claim that they can recon our volvo 4 & 5 speed Auto boxes.
    I have Never dealt with them so cannot vouch either way, but might be worth a call.
    If you do ring plz let us all know how you get on.
    cheers,
    Joe.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hi just to ask have you been losing water coolant from the engine?.
    If so the gearbox oil cooler does go into the water radiator some times it will fill the gear box with water best pull the dipstick from the front of the gear box to check that it's not over full or has water in it , do have two sets of marks oil hot or cold levels.

Old Fart
    Thanks
    If the pipe that runs from gearbox oil cooler that goes through the radiator has a break in it, it will fill the gearbox with coolant. This happened to one of ours and even a drain and clean plus a refill it still killed it.

Thread Information