Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

S60R Suspension Bushes

I recently changed the top engine mount bush and as a result I thought that I had cured much of the clonk that I get when changing/engaging gear in my 2006 s60R.
    However I drove 200 miles yesterday and the clunk now seems if anything to have got worse.
    The car has done 47k miles and so I expect that all the bushes are due for replacement. Question is, which ones should I replace, and which ones should I change for poly and which for original?
    Lee said to swap front for poly and rear with OEM - Lee did you mean ALL of the bushes or some in particular? can you give me a dummies guide and point them out in the attached pictures?

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    What wheels you running bud?

I'm on 17's on a full Poly setup (and the rest), ride is OK/firm and handling is face mentingly mind blowing.

Clunk could be the gearbox mount ? (if you have one like the S40 does.)

18's you may find it a bit stiff and crashy esp if your dampers are a bit tired.

As a rule front lower inner wishbones go poly.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    They all clunk to a certain degree.
    You get used to it.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Is hard to know because I haven't heard it. But Jimmie is rite
    Thanks
    Martyn

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick0 View Post
    I recently changed the top engine mount bush and as a result I thought that I had cured much of the clonk that I get when changing/engaging gear in my 2006 s60R.
    However I drove 200 miles yesterday and the clunk now seems if anything to have got worse.
    The car has done 47k miles and so I expect that all the bushes are due for replacement. Question is, which ones should I replace, and which ones should I change for poly and which for original?
    Lee said to swap front for poly and rear with OEM - Lee did you mean ALL of the bushes or some in particular? can you give me a dummies guide and point them out in the attached pictures?
    Middle picture - No-7 POLY, No-6 OE.

As Monkey boy says, buy a new transmission lower torque mount (about £35) and replace the small bush with POLY, then fit the torque mount to the car. This will sort the banging between gears. Don't replace the bigger bush else you will regret the Very harsh gear changes.

Top mount will improve power transmission to the road as there will be less 'give' so the output will be to the road wheels. Poly the strut brace.

Also replace the track rod inners and outers - OE
    Anti roll bar link rods - OE

Then have your wheel alignment done and see how the car handles.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Nick0 (Monday 9th April 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lee why did a brand new one clunk?
    Surely it didn't need new parts fitted!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Lee why did a brand new one clunk?
    Surely it didn't need new parts fitted!
    EH??? What you on about?

The new torque mount does not clunk, but the small bush that is fitted are very, very weak and don't last 5 minutes. So before you fit the new torq mount you cut out the small bush and replace it with a poly one. Then fit to the car!

Hope that explains it better.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    What im on about i drove a brand new motor and it had a clunk.
    My one does it also always has done and been told by different volvo tech's thats it's normal for the suspention setup etc
    Did you ever drive a brand new one?
    Last edited by Jimmie; Monday 9th April 2012 at 22:24.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies my wheels are 18" and I did the gearbox mount poly bush but didn't replace the entire gearbox mount at the time

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick0 View Post
    thanks for the replies my wheels are 18" and I did the gearbox mount poly bush but didn't replace the entire gearbox mount at the time
    Neh dramas, that will be ok. Its just easier and from a longevity point of view to just replace the entire mount.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    What im on about i drove a brand new motor and it had a clunk.
    My one does it also always has done and been told by different volvo tech's thats it's normal for the suspention setup etc
    Did you ever drive a brand new one?
    Sorry Jimmie but i don't follow!

Are you asking me if my car is brand new or the Trans torq mount?

For the record, never driven a new R but if i had and it had a 'clunk' then it would be straight back to the dealer. New cars don't clunk no matter what they are.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Sorry Jimmie but i don't follow!

Are you asking me if my car is brand new or the Trans torq mount?

For the record, never driven a new R but if i had and it had a 'clunk' then it would be straight back to the dealer. New cars don't clunk no matter what they are.
    I can vouch for Jimmie on this one, it was a brand new S60R in black
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I can vouch for Jimmie on this one, it was a brand new S60R in black
    A brand new car clunking? That is p!ss poor - I'm with Lee it would have been straight back to the dealer and a flea in their ear!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick0 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Friday 13th April 2012)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    If its any consolation, i have just today removed my poly engine top mount and replaced with the MKII oe top mount, £50 inc my 12% parts discount.

I must say, what a huge improvement. I was getting fed up with the harsh gear change and having already replaced the gay little transmission torq mount with poly, figured the only way to improve it was to go back to oe on the top mount.

The gear changes are smoother (mine is a manual), the ride is vastly improved (i know my girlfriend will like it) and its not so harsh to drive. The best bit is cabin noise is slightly quieter, the exhaust note remains the same yet with a more distinct 5 pot burble and the Noise from the turbo is more audible!!

Overall, very pleased and a blinding result!!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 13th April 2012 at 15:19. Reason: I can'y spell!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Nick0 (Tuesday 17th April 2012)

Thread Information