Join Today
    I Roll

Thanks

D5 Limp home mode

As I was accelerating on a slip road onto the M60 today my 2001 S60 D5 went in to 'limp home mode' and wouldn't rev past 2000 rpm. No other warning lights came on it just said 'engine service required' on the info display.
    I pulled onto the hard shoulder and turned the engine off and restarted, the info display was now clear and the car was back to normal.
    I have done another 30-40 miles and its been absolutely fine.

What could have caused this? Is it something to be worried about?

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    I have a V70 D5. When the intercooler (inevitably) went porous, the car was mostly fine. However I did have one occasion when I was accelerating hard off a roundabout which tripped me into limp mode. I was getting the intercooler done that week, so I didn't fuss too much. When I put the car into the garage I got them to read the code which was 'Boost Control Fault' (or something like that). Hasn't happened since the new intercooler.

If it's not doing it regularly, hang fire until your next service and get the codes read. In the mean time, check your intercooler. When mine went, I was able to get my brother in law to rev the car and I could feel the escaping boost with my hand held infront of the lower grill of the bumper! Have a search on here for tales of intercooler woe. The main visible sign is a bulging under-tray or seeing the intercooler bulging above the radiator.

So, in these complicated cars, that's one possibility for you....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyBurnWorld For This Useful Post:

Garett (Friday 6th April 2012)

I Roll

Thanks
    Thanks I'll investigate that. Its done around 113k miles so it could be the intercooler getting close to expiring, I've read plenty of other peoples woes but never had any issues my self so far.

I was accelerating reasonably quickly but certainly not hard and I was in 4th gear doing about 60 mph.

It was last serviced at 104k so is due one in another 3k which at the current rate will be within 2 months easily. The fuel filter was changed at the last service too so I doubt it could be that.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is another fault my xc displayed when my clock spring failed and only the once as i accelerated on a slip road

I Roll

Thanks
    Is the clock spring related to the DIM? The odometer on mine has disappeared so the DIM needs repairing. It did cross my mind that they could be related.

I Roll

Thanks
    Just resurrecting an old thread I started nearly 4 years ago. I still have the car, and it is now on 183k now, so I've covered 70k in the time since first posting this thread. I can't remember what the fault was on this occasion, but I don't think it happened again for a long time.

It did have a new lift pump fitted into the fuel tank in November 2013, (around 150k) and then the turbo stripped and cleaned a month later. On both occasions it was going into limp.

Now it has just been in for an MOT and diagnosis as its happening once again, this occasion it is actually the intercooler. Not bad if it is the original, nothing to indicate it ever had one prior to me owning it, so they can last.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Possibly the variable veins on the turbo sticking- mine does it. Turn off then turn on again- no problem.
    Mine is dead I think- posted a thread on that one!

I Roll

Thanks
    The turbo was stripped and cleaned 30k ago so hopefully its ok. They smoke tested the intercooler and its leaking.

Thread Information