Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Reverse parking system problem.

Hi.
    My S70 has factory fitted reversing sensors fitted in the rear bumper.
    I have just had the rear bumper resprayed and now the system doesn't work. I engage reverse and get the single long tone which seems longer than usual but then nothing at all else happens. The system is no longer detecting anything behind the car.
    Any ideas please?
    BTW the guy who did the respray did not remove the sensors from the bumper when he took it off the car.

Has anyone successfully replaced a genuine system with an aftermarket one?

Cheers.
    1997 Volvo S70 2.5T CD. RICA 235 remap. Volvo front strut brace. Late C70 clear headlights, indicators and grille. HID bulb upgrade. Columba 16" wheels.

Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember this:
    Amateurs..............built the Ark!
    Professionals........built the Titanic!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Silly, but obvious question, has he painted over the sensors?

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    This is exactly the same as me, my bumper was painted and they haven't worked since, I get the single tone but nothing after it.
    Cubes my sensors where repainted too
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Would it not be worth carefully removing the paint from the sensors? My thinking being that the paint might create a block, rebounding the signal straight back just as it would if you'd reversed right upto something, or put your hand over it.

Meet Abby, an elegant lady... Still, very willing to go topless in public. All I gotta do is push the right buttons...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    But the sensor doesn't register anything there, when you engage reverse you get av solid beep for about 5 seconds , keep the car in reverse and put an object beside a sensor and it won't beep :-(
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    We do alot of work on parking sensors at work ( VW bodyshop)
    If the bumper had been removed then it sounds like the loom/ plugs for the sensors have not been plugged in.
    One continuous tone when you FIRST put the car in reverse normaly indicates a fault in the system.
    Too much paint build up on the sensors usually means the sensors are picking up the paint and the reversing tone stays on CONSTANT.
    I would Check all connections to sensors and loom.
    Last edited by wacky racer; Saturday 31st March 2012 at 10:57.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had a quick look under my car and there is no easy access into the back of the sensor
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The thing is the sensors were originally painted and I cleaned them off before it went in for the resparay. They worked when originally painted and after I cleaned them.
    I'm wondering if they haven't been connected up properly but I think it means removing the bumper again to check.
    Cheers.
    1997 Volvo S70 2.5T CD. RICA 235 remap. Volvo front strut brace. Late C70 clear headlights, indicators and grille. HID bulb upgrade. Columba 16" wheels.

Remember this:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wacky racer View Post
    We do alot of work on parking sensors at work ( VW bodyshop)
    If the bumper had been removed then it sounds like the loom/ plugs for the sensors have not been plugged in.
    One continuous tone when you FIRST put the car in reverse normaly indicates a fault in the system.
    Too much paint build up on the sensors usually means the sensors are picking up the paint and the reversing tone stays on CONSTANT.
    I would Check all connections to sensors and loom.
    Hi.
    I get the long tone when I put it into reverse and then nothing.
    I'll have to check the wiring.
    Cheers.

Remember this:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    The thing is the sensors were originally painted and I cleaned them off before it went in for the resparay. They worked when originally painted and after I cleaned them.
    I'm wondering if they haven't been connected up properly but I think it means removing the bumper again to check.
    Cheers.
    Let me know how you get on :-)
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So, any luck with the sensors?

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubes View Post
    Would it not be worth carefully removing the paint from the sensors? My thinking being that the paint might create a block, rebounding the signal straight back just as it would if you'd reversed right upto something, or put your hand over it.
    Even excessive muck on the sensors will cause them not to function properly, never mind a coat of paint. I have to clean the sensors on my V70 when the back of the car is really mucky, or else I get the single tone.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I dealt with a crash last night. It was a low speed impact but the rear bumper dressing had been moved off its mount, disturbing one of the sensors. When I went to move the car it gave the exact same symptom as yours. So I'm thinking maybe just one of the sensors has been damaged or not reconnected properly. So aswell as checking the loom connector (if indeed there is one) it would be worth checking the wiring to each individual sensor.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No update at the moment. I'm planning to remove the bumper next week sometime. I've got the loan of a spare module and a sensor to try too.
    Cheers.

Remember this:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    All working again. I bought a complete kit from Mike at FRF-Volvo. I have to say I have nothing but praise for both Rufe (Simon) and Mike at FRF. They are both incredibly helpful.
    The complete kit worked out significantly cheaper than buying the major components separately. And what a kit it is (Made in Russia too!) It includes every single loom, screw, wiring connector, mounting kit, black sticky stuff for securing wires, template, pop rivets for the inner wing etc etc and around ten full sets of instructions to install the whole thing from scratch. Anyway I started off with the simple job of replacing the module first and then the on/off switch in the hope that that would cure the problem but no the bumper had to come off. A bit of a struggle as the O/S mounting bolt took a lot of persuasion to come undone. Once removed I got my long suffering better half to lay some dust sheets down in the living room. I wanted to protect the new paint as best as possible. Getting at the sensors is a major P.I.T.A!! The pretty bit that you see contains some very strong polystyrene and a substantial alloy cross member. This is to absorb impacts and what makes up Volvo's legendary safety. This all had to come out to expose the sensors. I had to engage the assistance of a wooden drift, rubber mallet, wife and moody nineteen year old son to achieve this.
    When stripped down the plastic outer bumper is as rigid as a banana skin!
    Popping the sensors out is simple as is putting the new ones in.
    A quick point here. The instructions explicitly state that the new sensors must be painted for them to function correctly. It does warn about paint being too thick causing malfunction. I had very carefully primed and painted the sensors with light coats prior to installing them.
    Once the sensors were in I, sorry WE rebuilt the bumper (wife just checked what I was writing) and it was ready to refit. I laid it behind the car before mounting it and connected the loom to the sensor module. I then turned on the ignition and engaged reverse and heard BEEP, not beeeeeeeeeeeep. I got out and walked behind the bumper, beep beep beep etc. It works! Refitted the bumper, job done!
    The only downside is that I am left with a box full of bits from the comprehensive kit and non-faulty parts that I changed.

Remember this:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Monday 9th April 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted.

Thread Information