Join Today
    boooooooooooooooooooooooost
    Thanks

1st drive in the rebuilt t5

Firstly drove really well had it running for about 2 hours started driving slow then went up the rev rabge a bit over long gears to around 3500-4000 turbo really load love the sound of the spool up!!
    1st) problem is air lock in water pain in the you no what.
    2nd) my lambda light?(bottom right corner orange with green squiggly lines) has poped on this could be the vxr injectors over fueling? It had a cough missfire at 3000rpm just before the gear change. Any thoughts/whats this light mean?
    3rd) running it in on mineral oil engine got hot after the 2 hour drive and seems a bit tappy.

Hopfully all minor niggly things that can be easily sorted just the dash light and tapping bit concerned about really.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    hows the quaiffe working out?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Nice one, its good to get back on the road after a big rebuild

If your ecu hasn't been remapped for the injectors then it will overfuel especially with a big step in injector size. Best thing to do is read the codes see what they say.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Why are using mineral oil?
    When I've rebuilt engines I use same oil as I run it on and just drop it after 500 miles then do it again after 1500 miles. Ask any engine builder they recomend using descent oil.
    How thick is the mineral oil as it may be wrong grade for the turbo.

Thanks
    This is the light got a picture of it off google.

Bottom left

Its gotta be thefuel mix were its not maped.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If your running big injector without being mapped you might be getting bore wash and getting fuel in the oil passed the rings.
    I'd put other injectors back in while you run it in plus check fuses in fuse box as mine came on read code and changed fuse as was a bit grotty been fine since as I put new lambda in the other week and just passed Mot and emissions were fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by endo-t5 View Post
    If your running big injector without being mapped you might be getting bore wash and getting fuel in the oil passed the rings.
    I'd put other injectors back in while you run it in plus check fuses in fuse box as mine came on read code and changed fuse as was a bit grotty been fine since as I put new lambda in the other week and just passed Mot and emissions were fine.

That what i might do i sorted out my old white injectors last night i might pop them in later. Ill check fuses too then thanks mate.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi mate, glad to hear you have it driving. You are bound to get teething probs as I know all too well lol

As for the light, The 850 ECU will probably struggle to pull back the pulsewidth enough on the big injectors to keep the fuel trims in check thus the lambda light. You will need to get it mapped mate. 5x 470cc injectors will easily fuel 400bhp and more if fuel pressure is raised via your FPR. Stick your old injectors in until mapping day. Your car will be a beast. My top end is also tappy and I put that down to my solid lifters. Getting done on Monday I think. I think your car uses hydro lifters?
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Thursday 29th March 2012 at 15:36.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    Hi mate, glad to here you have it driving. You are bound to get teething probs as I know all too well lol

As for the light, The 850 ECU will probably struggle to pull back the pulsewidth enough on the big injectors to keep the fuel trims in check thus the lambda light. You will need to get it mapped mate. 5x 470cc injectors will easily fuel 400bhp and more if fuel pressure is raised via your FPR. Stick your old injectors in until mapping day. Your car will be a beast. My top end is also tappy and I put that down to my solid lifters. Getting done on Monday I think. I think your car uses hydro lifters?
    I know some people recommend mineral oil for running in but I wouldn't. I'd put a semi synth in there for running in. Probably why you top end is noisy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    I know some people recommend mineral oil for running in but I wouldn't. I'd put a semi synth in there for running in. Probably why you top end is noisy.
    Cheers mitch. Yea gota be injectors ill bang the whites in tonight. Glad your fettin yours dun mate just cant wait to run it it and get that throttle planted lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have some nice pics of your car somehere from when i had it , must send you them !

Glad to see its still on the go !

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endo-t5 View Post
    Ask any engine builder they recomend using descent oil.
    Is that because it goes down quicker?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Is that because it goes down quicker?
    lol you picky fecker! Seriously though, I prefer ascent oil, tops itself up. Works out cheaper

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Thursday 29th March 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Cheers mitch. Yea gota be injectors ill bang the whites in tonight. Glad your fettin yours dun mate just cant wait to run it it and get that throttle planted lol
    Yeah, lambda will be the injectors for definite. Will take a while for light to go off most probably though. My old one used to. Mine is being done to sell I think. I'll see how I feel when it's fixed. Just got all the bits through for the head gasket job. All genuine parts, cost £180 from MRG Volvo with discount from T5D5. Very helpful guys there, would recommend.

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    4000rpm is too much for running in.I wouldn`t go above 3k if u want a nice bedding in the engine.Ppl say whatever but from my experience it does a good job.Mineral oil is fine for first about 500miles tops than chnge it.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you have new rings fitted and rebuilt the engine completely you should be running it in on mineral oil (running in oil p. Then after 500 or so miles you can drop the oil for another good quality mineral 10w 40 grade then go for your preferred oil after running for another 1500-2000 miles.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dont drive on boost when running an engine in and dont go mad with the revs until the first oil is changed. You can map the car on the second oil.

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    If you have new rings fitted and rebuilt the engine completely you should be running it in on mineral oil (running in oil p. Then after 500 or so miles you can drop the oil for another good quality mineral 10w 40 grade then go for your preferred oil after running for another 1500-2000 miles.
    Yup, mine has got running in oil in it, then, I'm following what Alan says

This user has no status

Thanks
    Alan talks a load of sense regarding oil. You'll have great difficulty running an engine in on synthetic oil.

Salut!

Pookie

Thread Information