Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Driveshaft removal

Anybody got any ideas on how to remove the outer cv from the front hub on my t5 850 as I've undone the hub nut and took bottom balljoint out and track rod end out to give me a descent way of getting it out but it's seized in and even tried a little bit of heat but no good. I've done cars for over 20 years and not had a driveshaft that was this stubborn.
    I changed cv boot last year by taking the complete hub off but I need to cahnge the abs rings as they are very rusty and getting abs light on and I've soldered the ecu and changed the front sensors as the sensors were very dirty and cleaned some of the rust but I've got new rings so wanted to give them a try before taking ecu off again and trying soldering again as it's due an MOT this week

This user has no status
    Thanks
    put the large 36mm nut back on, wind it on so that the thread is nearly (but not completely) through. then, put the 36mm socket back on and club hammer it. Dont hit the nut alone!!! Don't hit the shaft alone!! Must do it with the nut AND the socket. When the shaft starts to move, unwind the nut a little and gently tap it again, then, a little more. I use a black impact socket for this. Halfrauds sell them if that helps.
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've got the 36mm impact socket, i'll give it a try with socket on.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had this problem on my 850 a few years ago and had the same thing with my s70 a few weeks ago.

In both cases, a 4lb club hammer provided nowhere near enough impact to get the shaft moving - I had to resort to a 14lb fencing mell!

As already said, under NO circumstances hit the shaft or the nut, wind the nut on and use a socket to take the blows.

It took a few minutes repeatedly hitting as hard as I could (whilst obviously being very careful indeed as to where the blows landed) before I finally got the shaft to start moving.

Thread Information