Join Today

Thread: What Exhaust?

This user has no status

Thanks

What Exhaust?

Have just fitted my HLM 304 map, yes it does go but not quite got it right yet still playing then to the dyno, but now i want a nice raspy exhaust note, anyone got any ideas which companies exhaust are value for BHP and money with a nice rich sound??

Thanks Keith

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    whats wrong with the way it goes mate? as for exhausts how long is a piece of string depends on your budget mate, i have a turbo back powerflow with de-cat and a small box near the rear, sounds awesome

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What's up with it mate, it should fly!
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
    whats wrong with the way it goes mate? as for exhausts how long is a piece of string depends on your budget mate, i have a turbo back powerflow with de-cat and a small box near the rear, sounds awesome
    That must of cost a bit my cat back powerflow was 4 or 500
    Thanks
    Martyn

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    not too bad it was a cat back then i got the cat cut out, the difference in noise and power was very worth it

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    What's up with it mate, it should fly!
    Answer to both of you:

I went out in it and treaded carefull all warmed up with 98 ron and the boost would only go to 11psi which is only 1psi than i was getting with my standard BCS on, so i swopped over to the MBC and it only boosted 9psi, swopped back to the BCS and then it went to 14 / 15psi
    I have just put up the actuator 1 turn from standard and still have to try tomorrow. Yes it does go but the BCS gives it 5psi in 1st gear then 9psi in 2nd gear and then 14psi when it gets tramping in 3rd and 4th etc. so i only get real go from on 14psi at 3,500revs to 5,500 where i would like it lower or is that dangerous?

I have done 32miles in it and it has got better the more miles i have done, is this remapped ECU human and gets used to the way i drive or what !! Does it log the revs i use and obtain all sorts of parameters until then it won`t give it`s best ? am i daft or what?

I don`t know why my MBC is giving low psi compared to the BCS ? the MBC is opened 1 full turn from closed
    Any ideas. or do i give it 2 full turns???

Thanks Keith
    Last edited by 960kg; Wednesday 14th March 2012 at 19:52.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Answer to both of you:

I went out in it and treaded carefull all warmed up with 98 ron and the boost would only go to 11psi which is only 1psi than i was getting with my standard BCS on, so i swopped over to the MBC and it only boosted 9psi, swopped back to the BCS and then it went to 14 / 15psi
    I have just put up the actuator 1 turn from standard and still have to try tomorrow. Yes it does go but the BCS gives it 5psi in 1st gear then 9psi in 2nd gear and then 14psi when it gets tramping in 3rd and 4th etc. so i only get real go from on 14psi at 3,500revs to 5,500 where i would like it lower or is that dangerous?

I have done 32miles in it and it has got better the more miles i have done, is this remapped ECU human and gets used to the way i drive or what !! Does it log the revs i use and obtain all sorts of parameters until then it won`t give it`s best ? am i daft or what?

I don`t know why my MBC is giving low psi compared to the BCS ? the MBC is opened 1 full turn from closed
    Any ideas. or do i give it 2 full turns???

Thanks Keith
    sounds like your actuator may be tired keep tightening it until it gets to where you want it, a remap should make between 14-16psi mate, an mbc will cut out the boost limiter in all gears but early boost and you risk a broken engine, although it is fun lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

960kg (Friday 16th March 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    now i want a nice raspy exhaust note, anyone got any ideas which companies exhaust are value for BHP and money with a nice rich sound??

Thanks Keith
    I had my exhaust done by Powerspeed exhausts in ashford (They also own fast road conversions) I'll definately be going back to them to have a turbo to cat downpipe made when I get the T4!

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    My hlm 304 was boosting 15 or 16 psi.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    My hlm 304 was boosting 15 or 16 psi.
    Did you go up there to HLM and go on the dyno as well or was it posted to you like mine was?

Keith

This user has no status

Thanks
    whats wrong with the way it goes mate?
    Just saying from day to day what is happening!

After turning up the actuator 1 full turn ( there is no wear at all on the pin gate etc.) it still only boosted to 12 or 13 for a limited time because of the BCS.

Before the remap was fitted i had turned up the actuator 2 turns and it boosted to 15psi then came back to 10 because of the standard ECU and also i had on the turbo the old perished hoses from the actuator diaphragm to the MBC etc. etc.

When i did my Stage 0 tune i included turning the actuator back to standard replaced those hoses with narrow silicone ones and i am wondering if they are closing up or the bore is too small!!!

So went to Volvo today and ordered the proper ones £11 and collect this afternoon, which i thought was ok and then we will try up the road tomorrow.

But i will say when it comes on song it goes all smooth and starts to fly so a few more tweaks and it should be ready for the dyno. I have put masking tape over the info readout `till `ive stopped testing.

I`ll keep you posted as i go.
    Last edited by 960kg; Thursday 15th March 2012 at 13:27.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Thursday 15th March 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    First of all thanks for the help to all and now we have success!

Although i have owned turbo`s in the past i have never played about with them until now.

Last night the whole thing came to me after reading all the base boost pressures etc. I played around this morning and also fitted my Volvo boost hose to the turbo so they cannot collapse or balloon out and now i have a very steady 16 psi which is the limit i want to run and together with the HLM map it all comes on song via the standard BCS gradually then whoosh were off with such ferocity i could not quite believe what i was feeling in the seat of my pants!

So now to book the dyno and see what miserable readings i can achieve with a standard 2.3 V70 T5!

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks

Although i have owned turbo`s in the past i have never played about with them until now.

Last night the whole thing came to me after reading all the base boost pressures etc. I played around this morning and also fitted my Volvo boost hose to the turbo so they cannot collapse or balloon out and now i have a very steady 16 psi which is the limit i want to run and together with the HLM map it all comes on song via the standard BCS gradually then whoosh were off with such ferocity i could not quite believe what i was feeling in the seat of my pants!

So now to book the dyno and see what miserable readings i can achieve with a standard 2.3 V70 T5!
    well done mate, i see you were getting a hard time from the know it alls on voc lol
    Last edited by T5frankie; Friday 16th March 2012 at 19:43.

This user has no status

Thanks
    well done mate, i see you were getting a hard time from the know it alls on vpc lol
    Thanks Frankie, I am too old in the tooth to put up with there petty rubbish for no reason so i say so. Let them marinate in there own juices ,i could not care less. Far better here.

Keith

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 16th March 2012),Jamest5r (Friday 16th March 2012),T5frankie (Friday 16th March 2012)

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Thanks Frankie, I am too old in the tooth to put up with there petty rubbish for no reason so i say so. Let them marinate in there own juices ,i could not care less. Far better here.
    Keith
    Just spat my beer all over the lappy, quality mate

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks

Keith
    welcome home mate, should have come here years ago lol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Friday 16th March 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Good man, nice to hear the beast is flying. I was surprised you were only on VOC. All the forums have their good and bad points but the banter is best on here!!
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Friday 16th March 2012),volvokid (Friday 16th March 2012)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    not too bad it was a cat back then i got the cat cut out, the difference in noise and power was very worth it
    I found the price for mine tonight, almost 500
    Thanks
    Martyn

24. The Following User Says Thank You to volvokid For This Useful Post:

T5frankie (Friday 16th March 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    what size diameter pipe they put on?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboy View Post
    what size diameter pipe they put on?
    2.5 mate

Thread Information