Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts

Angry 855 t5 Broken Again!

Ok not really enjoying this new layout to the forum, but i'm giving it ago.

Not sure if this is in the right section? But i'm having a rough time just latly and getting very anoyed with so called luck.

After a Enjoyeble meet up wiv andysR and his bro, i found one of my Silver centre caps had been Stollen from my alloy wheels (well at least the shiny badge).

Anyway i thought ok let it go, "chill" tonight i painted the rest of the caps satin black so they all matched, only to find now my Nearside cv gaiter has Split again! is it only me who has this problem i must get through 3 each side per year?

Anyway after cleaning all the muck off from inside of the arch/wheel/suspension etc etc i left the car ticking over outside while i sorted the garage out.

Guess what? My water pump has now become noisy, yippee, thats more £££'s now Timing belt will have to be done at the same time, i'm just really thinking that she is becoming a money pit!

Seriously starting to think about a change to the dark side.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    stick with it mate, half the reason i like my car so much is cos of the forum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T5frankie For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Friday 2nd March 2012)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    At the end of the day mate, they are an old car so they are going to have issues every now and then.

I'v never seen it but its supposed to be a real looker, so it'll be worth all the hassle when its all sorted.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Friday 2nd March 2012)

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    I`ve just replaced my gayter wiv a stretchy first line one.U said its due for timing belt and need a w/pump I am thinking of doing mine aswell.I`ve seen Gates kits for around £90 and firstline w/pumps on ebay £35.Only takes 1.5 -2hours max.Give u a hand wiv that if u like.If u sell here she`ll keep coming in yr dreams lol

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsford G View Post
    I`ve just replaced my gayter wiv a stretchy first line one.U said its due for timing belt and need a w/pump I am thinking of doing mine aswell.I`ve seen Gates kits for around £90 and firstline w/pumps on ebay £35.Only takes 1.5 -2hours max.Give u a hand wiv that if u like.If u sell here she`ll keep coming in yr dreams lol
    I always use the Proper Direct fit ones, as i find the stretch boots only last around 3 wks.

Timing belt kit and pump i'm gonna price up tomorrow.

Not from Newcastle
    Further North than Foammanmark
    and proud of it!!
    Thanks
    Shame your having so many problems mate but stick with it. Im in the same boat at the min. Just seem to be pouring money into a hole at the min and seeing nothing for it but hey you'd miss it if you got rid mate.
    Current Car: VW Golf GT TDI 170 DSG

Old Cars: Saffy V70R, S60 2.4T SE, 854 T5, V70 T5, S70R, Saab 95 2.3 AERO, Seat Leon Cupra, Vauxhaul Vectra 2.5 V6 GSI, Vauxhaul Combo van 1.4 D

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    I'll third that, mine is being a right swine at the moment. So I decided to have a go at sorting it myself rather than take her down the local garage. Anything major then I will but its costing me a bomb

PS Yeh you are in the wrong section lol

PPS I think

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Money pit? try 1600 quid in 6 months! she's worth every penny mate and you know it I hope youre not getting cheap volvo gaters, go for a nice pattern P2 one, they seem to last longer (use my reg if you want) they come with a hub bolt too - 10 quid
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Dare to be Different
    vinny is getting a
    revamp....be back soon
    Thanks
    hi gav............as you well know i've had a pig of a time with my t5 and many times thought of getting rid of it..............i remember the first time i turned up at essex meet complaining about my car and you were the first person under my bonnet trying to fix it even though we had only just met..............i have lost count how many times all the essex crew (inc those from further afield ) have spent most of the meet pulling my car (and others) apart to try and remedy a fault...............i have kicked, punched, swore at, spat at, my t5 quite a lot in the past 8 months but now it is running properly it's the best thing since sliced bread............i am loving my car again.............the moral of this story is.........don't give up mate if it wern't for this forum i would not have met you, if it wern't for you i would no longer own a volvo...............so a big thanks to you and all the essex crew and above all ..............don't give up

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to t5steve For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Saturday 3rd March 2012),craigoodwood (Saturday 3rd March 2012),Jim S70R (Saturday 3rd March 2012),Kingsford G (Saturday 3rd March 2012),M-R-P (Saturday 3rd March 2012),merc85 (Saturday 3rd March 2012),Porcine_Aviator (Saturday 3rd March 2012)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t5steve View Post
    hi gav............as you well know i've had a pig of a time with my t5 and many times thought of getting rid of it..............i remember the first time i turned up at essex meet complaining about my car and you were the first person under my bonnet trying to fix it even though we had only just met..............i have lost count how many times all the essex crew (inc those from further afield ) have spent most of the meet pulling my car (and others) apart to try and remedy a fault...............i have kicked, punched, swore at, spat at, my t5 quite a lot in the past 8 months but now it is running properly it's the best thing since sliced bread............i am loving my car again.............the moral of this story is.........don't give up mate if it wern't for this forum i would not have met you, if it wern't for you i would no longer own a volvo...............so a big thanks to you and all the essex crew and above all ..............don't give up
    Well put Steve! This forum has saved my car at least once, and that's enough, lol. Merc, things may be getting you down but your lovely Volvo (and she is lovely) will always be there to make you smile again she may take a few quid now and then but that's the price of being part of an elite group like ours
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 3rd March 2012),t5steve (Saturday 3rd March 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks

i wouldnt worry about it,
    if you own a car of any brand it is gona cost you maintanence etc ontop of everything else,
    my car has a list of stuff to do but im always working weekends fixing mates cars so i dont even get time to do mine,
    got mot next month and i see a failiure lol,
    but its a car,it needs repairs like any other object,
    if you dont maintain it then it will be even worse,
    cam belts etc is a wear and tear item,has to be changed at set times,
    most cars have cam belts so you would only be doing it to another car if not the volvo.if you like the car then its worth doing,
    as we all know ,owning a car now in this country takes the p@ss,
    its a joke so make the most of it as your lucky enough to own a decent car,
    all good things come at a price.
    or you got the option of a pushbike lol.
    T5 STEALTH

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/album.php?albumid=21 AND A MERCURY CAPRI
    RIP alan (kyebosh)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    She'll be a gooden again, stick with it, take kingford up on his offer, save you a little money fixing it. Everyone is really helpful and friendly and you'd miss the banter, first time at a meet my car was in bits.

When i got my first one I was expecting all sorts of greif but been ok, that's why I brought a spare car to sit on drive incase of expensive breakdowns. Fortunately I've been ok for 15k. Maybe have a cheap t5 incase of expensive repairs then you can fix / improve at your leisure.
    Last edited by dalhousie2008; Saturday 3rd March 2012 at 07:00.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dalhousie2008 For This Useful Post:

Kingsford G (Saturday 3rd March 2012),M-R-P (Saturday 3rd March 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    yep had 2 cv boots split on mine and guess what they both split again.. they was euro car parts last time which seemed ok as well..

Lawnmower Boy
    Now known as WAPAHO!!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I suppose it all depends on what you get out of the car. In the last couple of months I feel like I've thrown about £3k+ at the three cars to keep them running:
    V40 - work by RT £800, tyres £200, coil overs plus tops&droplinks £350, eBay bits £150
    V70 - refurb of wheels £360, tyres £800, Springs £130, MOT plus work £400
    850 - Cams £££, tools £150

That is less than the finance/depreciation payments on a new car.

Current Garage:
    1997 960 3.0L 24v - Polestar...(Honest guv..!!)
    1997 855 T5 S - stripped to 1300kgs gross weight - 14.2sec qtr(rank 17*)
    2001 V40 T4 SE - 14.199@100.15MPH - Hybrid Turbo/VXR injectors and DeCat(Rank 15*)
    *Data Sept 2013
    Any Stuff For Sale - check out my Ebay link

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGENINJA For This Useful Post:

Kingsford G (Saturday 3rd March 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    "You whine like a mule!... you are still alive"

Come on Gav, you know she's worth it I saw the size of the smile on your face last weekend while you were driving it

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Saturday 3rd March 2012)

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Money pit? try 1600 quid in 6 months!
    You were lucky, when I were a lad we used to live in hole in't road, oops sorry I'll start again.

That's nothing three auto boxes, 3 ETMs 2 AMIs 1 front Lambda. £1100 to get her running after a main agent spent 3 months fiddling around. Then 1 petrol tank fuel level sensor, then had to have the tank emptied and cleaned as the bloke who put the sensor in allowed rubbish to fall into the tank. That cost £350 to sort out, but I did get the money back on that. New Volvo cat then new Volvo rear box no pattern part available.

Both sides rear and 1 suspension for the last MOT

She has been running OK for a while even if she has a full set of warning lights on the dash. Been in to a garage and they say there's nothing wrong, so it looks like a Martin type job.

And in case you are are wondering why we have kept throwing money at her?

Simple we have spent more on her than we paid for her and we want to get at least some of our money back through using her.

We are suckers for Volvos we have had four and if we change it would be to another

After reading that it could put off a potential first time Volvo buyer off for life
    Last edited by Porcine_Aviator; Saturday 3rd March 2012 at 11:22. Reason: Added more parts
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I quite like v70r or s60r but get put off my all the scare stories with the awd

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    In the last few day I`ve been thinking of selling mine tbh due to a fe reasons and just went down my workshop to clean my vw and looked at my s70 and thought how`d I feel not having her around.She`s not my daily drive and probably do 200miles a month but will try to keep her.Just get yr bits and come down netx week and we`ll have a good laugh lots of tea and get yr baby sorted mate.I can`t c in a diff car tbh Gav `cos that mirror shiny ltl train looks so good.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Hang in there Gav shes worth every penny!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim S70R For This Useful Post:

happy
    Thanks
    hang in there mate.. and whenever you feel down think of me and how much the c70 likes emptying my bank account :-)
    Old Cars: Mazda6, Laguna 2.2, S40 T4, Passat 1.8t, Celica GT4, Legacy GTB, Golf VR6, S70 2.5t, C70 T5
    Current Car:850t5

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shepbomb For This Useful Post:

Thread Information