Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Eight grand lighter.

A few days ago I replied to a thread on insurance, I stated that not declaring modifications had cost me eight grand. Didn’t have time then to elaborate, but I think I should so as other folk may benefit from my misfortune.
    If you have taken a look at my profile you will no doubt have noticed that my younger years have passed. I have two sons, the youngest and daftest whom this tale of woe mainly concerns, was at the time twenty years old, with not a lot of money to his name.
    At this time I had a company vehicle (a transit type van), all of my work and most of my private mileage was done in this. I also owned a 340 Volvo; this was mainly used to attend the odd wedding, but mostly funerals when you’re getting on a bit, and other such occasions. Needless to say it didn’t come out of the garage to often. Then the youngest and daftest passed his driving test at the sixth attempt. Oh that’s great we all said, now he can use the Volvo to get work. “What me, drive a Volvo!” You can see it in their eyes, it’s just not cool, twenty years old sat in a Volvo 340. Ok, I weakened, besides the insurance quotes weren’t to friendly. Well says I, “I’ve never bought a new car lets go down market a bit, and see what’s on offer”. It turns out to be a Fiat Punto, trade in the 340, gets a finance package, a new Punto stands me at eight grand.
    “There you are son, take good care of it, remember It’s dads car really” (yea right).
    Anyway youngest and daftest does look after the Punto very well, considering he was in the car valleting game it stands to reason that the Punto always had a shine on it.
    Twenty year olds being what twenty year olds are, youngest and daftest soon starts arriving home with odd aftermarket bits, and the inevitable words have you seen what I picked up cheap for the Punto. I must admit though, I did let him talk me into purchasing new alloys. He came home with the detachable steering wheel, saying do you think you can fit this in the Punto. Soon, the ice starts to go in, I took the wife to the local supermarket, we came out with a trolley full as you do, opened the Punto boot, bloody thing is full of boom boxes and amplifiers, shopping goes in the back seat.
    Anyway, with each each addition, I duly informed my insurance brokers, who passed the information on to the insurance company, they okayed the lot. Then youngest and daftest comes home with a full lowering suspension kit, “can you fit these on the Punto?” “I suppose so” say I. (the youngest and daftest is a chip off the old block). With the intention of keeping my insurance people up to date, the lowering kit was installed, and I must say I was impressed by the difference it made to the looks and the ride, not that I got the chance to drive it too often. Off I went to the insurance brokers and informed them of the modification, my insurance was due for renewal the next month, so they carried out a search for the best insurance quote. I agreed to the one they had come up with. Six months later, youngest and daftest spins the Punto on a slippery road hit a fairly substantial brick wall and, takes the whole of the drivers side off, and manages to damage every panel on the car. No damage to the wall or third parties involved. He came out of it ok (that’s a story in itself) knocked and shaken, pride sorely dented.
    Car gets taken away to a vehicle recovery depot, and awaits insurance inspection.
    Two weeks go by, then a phone call from the insurance engineer, sort of informing me that the suspension had been lowered. A few days later a letter from the insurance people arrived, asking when the suspension had been lowered and for what reason. To cut this already long story short. It transpires that the brokers, in the quest to get me a reasonable quote had not informed the insurance company about the lowered suspension. The letter I received from the insurance people stated that if they had known about the modification they would not have insured the car, and they returned the full years premium. The brokers did not admit they had misinformed the insurers.
    After much letter writing, I gave in, but not without a fight. I wrote off the eight grand, and put it down to one of life’s lessons.
    That is not the end. Because the insurance company had in fact declined to insure me, this information had to be entered on my next insurance application, under, have you ever been refused insurance. If the answer to this question is yes, doors are suddenly shut in your face, and you must answer yes so as not to give the insurance company an excuse not to pay out. I managed in the long run to get motor insurance, but at a cost.
    Further to this, imagine for a moment, a worse scenario at the crash scene, third parties involved, possibly deaths. Imagine the worst, if you’re not insured because your insurance company state that if they had known about the modification, they would not have insured the car. Where does that leave you, do you own a house, have you got a significant pension fund, not now you haven’t, you can wave that lot goodbye in this blame and claim society we now live in.
    I know it goes on a bit, but be warned, declare your mods.

Youngest and daftest is now a dad himself. Life goes on at ahelluva pace .

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    ouch a expensive lesson, have you not thought of taking the broker to court to recover some of the cost.

from what i've been told if you have an accident involving a 3rd party & your insurance finds mods that aren't declared they will still pay the 3rd party, but can (& more likely will) take you personally to court & get there money back

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear that mate..

I declared a powerbox on my D5 and Norwich Union Direct cancelled the insurance..'We don't insure modified cars!'..so I went to Norwich Union who do!!
    I've had two cars written off by others, a drunk and a 20ish year old, so as it doesn't always happen to someone else I strongly agree..tell your insurer.
    That includes a stainless exhaust! any wheels! tints! and obviously anything that makes it go faster straight or around bends!

Mike
    WARNING! Some of the above may be my unbiased opinion, sarcasm, or just total bo****ks.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Thats shocking!

I've insured both our modified cars on Highway through Chris Knott.

I filled out all the forms for Chris Knott explaining the extensive mods and sent them off. With both cars I've had to amend the forms that came back to me for approval as they've said there are 'no modifications'. When I've called them to query it they say 'don't worry about it, the modifications are on file'. What happens if the file goes missing?

I just don't trust insurance companies.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Scary stuff.....would you have to declare k&N filter...strut brace?
    would a remap be detectable?
    where's my cover note
    98 V70R AWD Manual in Saffron...the Pimpmobile !

This user has no status

Thanks
    stu u forgot to mention the subaru scoop on the bonnet Like father like son

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wobbly had a chin wag with a guy fro the VOC site about AP Brakes the guy had declared them and his premium went sky high, Shows you, You have to tell them it all and make sure that you have it all in black and white, At least knowone was injured or any other vehicle written off.

Gary.
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If your insured through NU Direct, Elephant or Nat West they show all mods and other details you tell them, therefore you have it in b&w!
    I never use brokers as they've always caused me trouble in the past with situations similar to above.

Mike
    WARNING! Some of the above may be my unbiased opinion, sarcasm, or just total bo****ks.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterdark
    stu u forgot to mention the subaru scoop on the bonnet Like father like son
    Oh aye, i forgot that one.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Pedro Fandango]ouch a expensive lesson, have you not thought of taking the broker to court to recover some of the cost.

from what i've been told if you have an accident involving a 3rd party & your insurance finds mods that aren't declared they will still pay the 3rd party, but can (& more likely will) take you personally to court & get there money back
    It was a painful experience, but I prefer to put it behind me and and put it all down to being part of growing up. Mrs says I havn't yet.

Oh found a pic of the Punto, an after, not a before.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango
    ouch a expensive lesson, have you not thought of taking the broker to court to recover some of the cost.

Sorry about the last reply, I lost the text somewher.
    I prefer to put it behind me, lifes for living not fighting. That dosn't mean I gave up without a fight, but lifes to short, I've just put it all down to part of growing up. Wife says I havn't yet.

1999 S70 T5 Auto
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick
    Thats shocking!

I've insured both our modified cars on Highway through Chris Knott.

I filled out all the forms for Chris Knott explaining the extensive mods and sent them off. With both cars I've had to amend the forms that came back to me for approval as they've said there are 'no modifications'. When I've called them to query it they say 'don't worry about it, the modifications are on file'. What happens if the file goes missing?

I just don't trust insurance companies.
    What does your insurance paperwork say - the papers you yourself have - if the mods are not mentioned they are probably going to be a reason to not pay out if the worst comes to the worst... needs looking at i think!

i used to sell advertising space in the autotrader and dealt with the entire spectrum of automotive related persons, and the insurance brokers were deffinately the dodgiest
    Current car : 1999 S70 T5
    (+ a widebodied X1/9 & a 2-door Range Rover)

Previous Volvos :1996 850 T-5 Saloon in Blue
    1998 V40 T4
    1986 360 GLT

Thread Information