Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

New 850 T5 saloon project

Hi peoples.....

Well I had nothing but bad luck with my nissan silvia so I was desperate to get back in a volvo! Now my 5th t5 but my first 850.

Its a black 850 T5 CD saloon and more importantly a manual!! I fapping love it!!!!! Its specced to the moon and in the best colour! Has had 3 owners, FSH, 90k on the clock, last owner had it for 15 years! A stack of paperwork too...

Cambelt changed at 70k, only thing is the car takes a while to heat up and can fluctuate between half way and then drop to a third....so may have a dicky thermostat. Previous owner said any issue in the next few weeks that need mechanical work, he will pay for! Shwing!

Its been polished weekly and the bodywork is immaculate apart from stone chips around front grill and a pin head sized dent in one door from a shopping trolley back in 1997!

So as I'm sure you all know on a CD spec its got the ski shoot(awesome for me as i'm off to the alps for a month for skiing in it soon!) electric adjustable seats, heated seats, premium sound system, 6 disc cd changer, full leather, heated mirrors, cupholders, etc etc etc......

Interior is unmarked...a little dirty but the next few days the car is getting fully polished and waxed again and I will treat all the leather inside.

Wheels are stock and absolutely mint, not a kurb mark on them.....it doesn't have the rear spoiler but I prefer it without to be honest.

Ok so plans are:

Replace PCV breather system

Wheels finished in gunmetal
    Apex 40mm lowering springs
    Front strut brace
    Uprated ARB's
    Poly top engine mount
    Cat back exhaust - custom as my mate works for longlife and if I supply the 3" pipework he does it for half the cost
    Induction kit
    Grill finished in satin black

After all this an MTE remap along with a decat downpipe. Then maybe an R front bumper. I saved a load of money selling my silvia so I have the luxury of being able to do most of that list in the next 2 months. Not going crazy until I am happy with all of the above, then I can look at stronger rods and bigger turbos/injectors etc etc.

Pics show the bumpers as part faded but I have treated them and they look like new Will get more pics tomorrow after I have made a start on the wheels and grill.

I'm so happy with the bang for buck and if I keep it as well as my others it can only gain value eventually

Alex

Blah Blah Blah!
    Thanks
    That looks great

But, it needs the spoiler!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Each to their own ha.....I actually love the interior! I think the wood works on such an old school dash.

My only worry is the amount of times I have fitted coilovers to cars, with british a and b roads, you often find you have ruined the driveablility of the car. This is a fast road daily which will see the odd track day. So Hopefully poly bushes, ARB, springs and the bilstein black dampers should be plenty stable but still comfy.

I'm just worried a 40mm drop on the front won't look low enough, rears will be spot on but fronts have a bit more of an arch gap. Are there 50mm springs on the market or not? Otherwise it would be coilovers so just gotta live with it.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    40mm drop will be fine
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    nice little motor that

This user has no status
    Thanks
    nice but does need the spoiler
    i'm 18 but i am ready for anything mechanical

dads(smithys) beast 940 turbo,t38 turbo,k&n cossie filter,rwd,forged red block,cossie cam,cossie inlet manifold,intercooler,mocal oil cooler,3" throttel body,3" full exhaust,cmd elctronic system,
    roll on 2016

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    if its a daily driver leave the suspension alone mate

This user has no status

Thanks
    Everything is a daily as I don't see the point in multiple ownership, multiple tax/insurance/fuel blah blah blah and I'm used to skylines and 200sx's with coilovers that will make event he most constipated person drop their guts after 20 mins so this to be is super super soft.

I am happy to firm it up, I just want a little rebound to remain rather than the violent jolt from coilovers.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Oh and I'm trying to find springs that are listed for a t5 but can only find either 2 litre or diesel for saloon?? I know diesel ones are less of a drop due to coping with the sag from the extra weight of the engine.

Surely the spoiler is useless on the fwd car? Giving a little downforce at speed causing the front to go light and lose steering feel?

Anyone used these?
    http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=3838

Self levelling shocks have a wierd ribbed looking exterior to the shock don't they? Mine appear stock so these could work.
    Last edited by T5rookie; Thursday 1st March 2012 at 21:14.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to T5rookie For This Useful Post:

petax (Sunday 13th May 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    looks super tidy nice milage too
    1995 854 t5r

This user has no status

Thanks
    Little engine bay cleanup, bumper work and sprayed the grill up today....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update,

I have started work on the wheels going dark grey/gunmetal

Will be getting delivery of a big k&n filter, kilen 40mm lowering springs and picking up a thermostat and new coolant mid week!

So expect it to look a bit more aggressive as of next weekend when me and judgeninja can hopefully bosh the work out pretty quickly.

Still after a cat back exhaust, may have sorted a decat

Oh can someone recommend me the correct thermostat for the 850 T5?? Eurocarparts have 3-4 in stock and all open at varying degrees....Think ones at 87, another at 90 and another at 92...

This user has no status

Thanks

Thin base coat after primer.....

Second coat.....

I added a third coat last night and 2 layers of lacquer and I love the look......annoyingly the rain for the first time in weeks has stopped progress so far today to get the others painted.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    It's unusual to see a completely standard engine bay on here (I wonder how long that will last) No Strut Brace, RIP, Air filter. looks nice and clean though
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

This user has no status

Thanks
    cheers mate, you'll see a filter in there next week but thats it for now....

I love the look of a stock T5 bay in good condition.....The weather has stopped me being totally anal and getting the toothbrush and cleaning products out as I like my bays to be cleaner than the exterior! Makes a nice surprise when you do a trackday covered in dirt and rubber and then on the cooldown in the pits you reveal a shiney shiney T5 lump!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Looks like a lovely tidy car, excellent base for what you have planned, as your so close to Judge you should convoy up with him to the next Essex meet and show us what the car is like

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Sunday 4th March 2012)

This user has no status

Thanks
    when is the essex meet?

If the springs/filter/thermostat are done in time I will My old man lives in Upminster so can always crash there as its a bit of a drive.

I'm actually really happy with the stock power.....I have had 300+bhp skylines and think I'm growing up a bit ha.....

Might leave the remap until the Summer.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T5rookie View Post
    when is the essex meet?

If the springs/filter/thermostat are done in time I will My old man lives in Upminster so can always crash there as its a bit of a drive.

I'm actually really happy with the stock power.....I have had 300+bhp skylines and think I'm growing up a bit ha.....

Might leave the remap until the Summer.
    Essex meet is next Sunday (11th March) it's at the Dick Turpin pub on the A127 just outside Wickford.

Be good to see the car if you can make it.

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

Here today gone tomorrow

Thanks
    Nice looking example you've got yourself, coilovers are not that bad on normal roads if you have them setup right and not just set on rock hard!!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Looks very nice man!

Great base for what you've got planned! I look forward to seeing it transformed!

Thread Information