Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonnet Cable

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts

Bonnet Cable

So, there I was, about to change the thermostat, popped the bonnet and yep......cable has gone slack. Bonnet opened but I was one size away from a torx bit so shut the bonnet and lo and behold the cable is shafted.

Anyone any ideas on how I can get this sorted without it costing me a fortune?

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    It seems to be contagous a few people having trouble got to be due to age the cables them selfs arnt expensive from volvo just a fiddly job to replace them

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    It seems to be contagous a few people having trouble got to be due to age the cables them selfs arnt expensive from volvo just a fiddly job to replace them
    Ok, so its not my jinxed car then lol. So any ideas how I get the bonnet open with damaging anything?

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Mine snapped yesterday on my V70, but the bonnet had 'popped' and I removed the catches so that it won't lock. Can't drive the car though until the new cable is fitted!

Has yours got a catch on both sides like the V70? I believe that someone has to reach up somehow from underneath the car, but I can't see how there's enough room myself.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    The only way to get the bonnet open is from underneath the car its supposed to be quite a job but doable only other thing as a last resort is go through the head lights or cut hold in bonnet.
    Just to double check has the cable snaped under the bonnet or in the cabin as if its snaped in the cabin and you can get to the cable get some plyers and open it that way

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    The only way to get the bonnet open is from underneath the car its supposed to be quite a job but doable only other thing as a last resort is go through the head lights or cut hold in bonnet.
    Just to double check has the cable snaped under the bonnet or in the cabin as if its snaped in the cabin and you can get to the cable get some plyers and open it that way
    Any tips/advice for when I fit the release handle to offside catch cable please mate? I asked you in my cable thread but you may not have seen the post? Any tips greatly appreciated.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Sorry buddy i totally forgot ill get the link i used for a guide its pretty good but.

Here ya go
    http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=18571

8. The Following User Says Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Monday 27th February 2012)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Yeh there is some cable in the cabin, although its still attached to the catch so I think its snapped t'other end.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Happend to my mate when he had a t4, he got to it by going through the front grille.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Happend to my mate when he had a t4, he got to it by going through the front grille.
    Yeh thats what its looking like. Oh well I was after a new grill lol. Even so, £37 for a new cable. If I believed it I would say this motor is jinxed.

Ok going in from under the reg plate, what needs releasing? There is a latch on the right side going diagonally down and right to the lock itself (its the bit you push up when the bonnet has released a bit)

Last edited by Haizum74; Monday 27th February 2012 at 22:01.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Anyone? Am really stuck here.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    No idea mate??

Someone must know.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    No idea mate??

Someone must know.
    Yeh I am hoping. I wanted to have some money to myself this month rather than give it to the car lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My cable went last year. I got into my bonnet by sticking a long socket set through and actually bolting the whole bonnet catch from the front panel and lifting the bonnet with it still attached then took it off once I had the bonnet open

Bonnet cable itself was only about £35 from Volvo but it was a fiddly job to do.

2003 V40 T4 Sport
    1988 Volvo 245 GLT Estate (Gaining T5 power!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to antz For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Tuesday 28th February 2012)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antz View Post
    My cable went last year. I got into my bonnet by sticking a long socket set through and actually bolting the whole bonnet catch from the front panel and lifting the bonnet with it still attached then took it off once I had the bonnet open

Bonnet cable itself was only about £35 from Volvo but it was a fiddly job to do.
    Through the grill? A tight fit I guess? So the three bolts, remove and there we go? And I take it its drivers side wheel off job?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    Through the grill? A tight fit I guess? So the three bolts, remove and there we go? And I take it its drivers side wheel off job?
    Yep 3 bolts and the bonnet should lift up with the catch still attached to it. I have an aftermarket eggcrate grill so getting to the bolts was fiddly but not impossible. I managed to do the whole job without smashing the grill like some people do.

If you have an eggcrate grill itll be easier than the standard slat grill.

I seem to remember its a whole drivers side wheel and arch liner off job. I wont lie, its a pain in the arse to do but I did it on my driveway at home so it cant be that hard

2003 V40 T4 Sport

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Alot easier than the 850's v70's etc then as we have two catches one on either side of the wing.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Heres how I did it (copied from VOC)

To get the thing open, you need to remove the three bolts that hold the mechanism onto the crossmember, in front of the radiator. Someone to wedge the grille openings apart with a wide screwdriver, whilst you remove the bolts with a 10mm socket is best. It CAN be done. Carefully!

If you break the grille not too much hassle but just extra expense to replace it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To fit, there is no simple way... Assuming you have the old cable out and bonnet opens, do as follows.

1. Jack up car and remove right front wheel
    2. Remove plastic wheel arch liner. There are bolts at the driver door end (x3), and plastic grommets in the top of the liner - one front, one rear. Ease the clips from the inside of the wing, by pressing the liner and twisting inwards slightly.
    3. Remove the plastic housing under the steering wheel by removing the screws (x5). Note that the housing has a slot to fit into on the side that runs down the instrument housing (important when refitting...!)
    4. Push the plastic housing around the bonnet catch through the gap at the top of the radiator, and back through the inner wing and into the wheel arch.
    5. Remove cable from bonnet release lever in drivers footwell.
    6. Pull cable through rubber grommet in bulkhead, into wheelarch and remove cable assembly.

Refit is case of feed the bonnet cable end through from the wing, and the bonnet release end, through the rubber grommet in the bulkhead. There is NO easy way to get this through (I used a pair of long nose pliers). Fit the bonnet release lever end FIRST. Then fit the bonnet release mechanism end.

Check the opertion before refitting either the plastic housing in the drivers footwell, or the wheelarch liner.

Don't be alarmed if the catch does not release or spring first time - if the catch has been removed, you may need to play around with this to get the correct angle and fitting. And above all, GREASE the cable and catch thoroughly.

Refit housing in drivers footwell and arch liner, put wheel back on, then go and get a pint - you deserve it!!!!

2003 V40 T4 Sport

21. The Following User Says Thank You to antz For This Useful Post:

Haizum74 (Tuesday 28th February 2012)

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antz View Post
    Heres how I did it (copied from VOC)

To get the thing open, you need to remove the three bolts that hold the mechanism onto the crossmember, in front of the radiator. Someone to wedge the grille openings apart with a wide screwdriver, whilst you remove the bolts with a 10mm socket is best. It CAN be done. Carefully!

If you break the grille not too much hassle but just extra expense to replace it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To fit, there is no simple way... Assuming you have the old cable out and bonnet opens, do as follows.

1. Jack up car and remove right front wheel
    2. Remove plastic wheel arch liner. There are bolts at the driver door end (x3), and plastic grommets in the top of the liner - one front, one rear. Ease the clips from the inside of the wing, by pressing the liner and twisting inwards slightly.
    3. Remove the plastic housing under the steering wheel by removing the screws (x5). Note that the housing has a slot to fit into on the side that runs down the instrument housing (important when refitting...!)
    4. Push the plastic housing around the bonnet catch through the gap at the top of the radiator, and back through the inner wing and into the wheel arch.
    5. Remove cable from bonnet release lever in drivers footwell.
    6. Pull cable through rubber grommet in bulkhead, into wheelarch and remove cable assembly.

Refit is case of feed the bonnet cable end through from the wing, and the bonnet release end, through the rubber grommet in the bulkhead. There is NO easy way to get this through (I used a pair of long nose pliers). Fit the bonnet release lever end FIRST. Then fit the bonnet release mechanism end.

Check the opertion before refitting either the plastic housing in the drivers footwell, or the wheelarch liner.

Don't be alarmed if the catch does not release or spring first time - if the catch has been removed, you may need to play around with this to get the correct angle and fitting. And above all, GREASE the cable and catch thoroughly.

Refit housing in drivers footwell and arch liner, put wheel back on, then go and get a pint - you deserve it!!!!
    Fantastic, thanks a load for that. I think if I end up having to break the grill, some chicken type wire and no nails will give me a decent homemade grill.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    No worries mate. I managed to do mine with an eggcrate grill without breaking it, never done it on a standard grill though

2003 V40 T4 Sport

Thread Information