OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    I'm on about the t5's there is no need to remove the pully

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    When you've done as many as I have, You see some nightmares,some cars don't even have timing marks to start with (HSR chevette springs to mind) so would you rather pull the engine out of a 20v fiat or slide a new belt on, I know which one I did
    tip on the 20v fiat, especially the turbo coupe model. if you drill a hole through the inner arch you can fit a socket through it and slacken the tensioner, no need to remove engine, which cuts cam belt time from book time of 10 hrs to well under 2 hrs.

use a good sealer to prevent rust where you have drilled and fit a rubber gromit. done this on over 15 of these and makes the job a doddle.
    because it just had to be done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to streaky744 For This Useful Post:

local-looney (Friday 22nd June 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Do people know the way of changing it with out taking the bottom pully off
    I replaced my cambelt recently without taking the bottom pully off. I cut the old belt off, then push the new belt sideways up the back of the pully (with the belt teeth facing you), which is as you can imagine tight. You have to be careful here as there are three lugs protruding from the block so make sure you work the belt around them and that the belt is sitting neatly on the crank sprocket.
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

2003 V70 SE, 5244 S2, 2.4 24v, 101,000 miles
    Mods: Yatour MP3 CD Emulator

This user has no status

Thanks
    In the past 12yrs dicking around with cars and working in the trade, I've yet to see a cambelt snap. I have however seen countless water pumps collapse, tensioners explode and pulleys seize. On that basis, the 'Russian' method may work on old, §§§§§§ed 8v Soviet block engines but on modern multi-valve stuff with automatic tensioners and so on... not a chane in hell I'd be taking the chance. Lining up the timing marks and locking everything up is so simple, why on earth would you try and cut corners and also opt not to replace the pump, tensioner/s and pulley/s?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Friday 22nd June 2012)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This is new one on me.

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    In the past 12yrs dicking around with cars and working in the trade, I've yet to see a cambelt snap. I have however seen countless water pumps collapse, tensioners explode and pulleys seize. On that basis, the 'Russian' method may work on old, §§§§§§ed 8v Soviet block engines but on modern multi-valve stuff with automatic tensioners and so on... not a chane in hell I'd be taking the chance. Lining up the timing marks and locking everything up is so simple, why on earth would you try and cut corners and also opt not to replace the pump, tensioner/s and pulley/s?
    I think you have an excellent point - logical really.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

wanting to get busy with my
    twins, twin zx9r's that is
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    When you've done as many as I have, You see some nightmares,some cars don't even have timing marks to start with (HSR chevette springs to mind) so would you rather pull the engine out of a 20v fiat or slide a new belt on, I know which one I did
    changed more belts than care to mention, but a tip for you on the fiat 20v engine and turbo models, if you drill hole through inner wing with small cone cutter you can get to the tensioner bolt and slacken it, remove belt, change tensioner and replace no need to remove engine. book time for job is 10hrs, cut hole in inner wing and job done in 2 hrs, then put a nice rubber bung in hole you drilled for next time.

as for russian method suicide springs to mind
    because it just had to be done

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    With a timing chain it can work fine if you lock the tensioner off but as pointed out with an early T5 without the mechanical tensioner a new belt won't fit as the old one will of streached.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

y2blade (Tuesday 26th June 2012)

Thread Information