Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2001 T5 M66 gearbox conversion

My car has grown an extra gear! Too tired to elaborate but many thanks to Tim for his hard work, ingenuity and kindness over the last few weeks. It's lush.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Very cool, quicker acceleration?

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    is there any ratio difference between 5th on your old box & new 6th gear?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Frankie - feels quicker because the ratios are closer and easier to stay in best torque. More gearchanges may equal real world slower?

Pedro - M66 6th is higher than than M56H 5th and M66 5th is lower M56 5th. All the ratios are slightly lower (except 6th) - I can pootle in 3rd rather than 2nd through town for instance.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Tuesday 21st February 2012)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I want one!! what is require the m66 box and???

This user has no status

Thanks
    P2 and P2.5 driveshafts are the same. The box is from a 2005 2.4 T5. My existing clutch and lightened flywheel were the right stack height with a new M66 slave fitted. Tim had the Gripper checked over by Dave Mac and 1.7mm shaved somewhere to fit the M66. The cables and remote unit are from a 2.4 T5 as mine were the wrong length. There was a mounting bracket that needed fitting. Fitted new bushes to the remote unit and on the linkage somewhere. I can't remember anything else right now and Tim would be the man to get details from. Didn't take him long.

Quoting Tim (there is more detail at the T5D5 version of this thread):

"Jardon had a large spline later M56 so the clutch and flywheel didn't need changing, the rear mount he mentioned is P/N 8646206 and £42 new.

All phase 1 cars have the smaller clutch splines and will require some grinding of the diff casing to clear the subframe and aid N/S inner CV removal. Hussain Holland has pictures of this from when he did his."

Hussein is a member on T5D5 and is Lookforjoe on VS.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    It has the push down reversing gate right?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    It has the push down reversing gate right?
    Reverse is where 8th would be - it has a solenoid that prevents accidental selection of reverse. On a stock vehicle it would activate at 5mph. We are looking at options to activate it at present - it doesn't use a 12volt supply. It is possible to select reverse at warp speed at present so needless to say I am being careful - thankfully it's not easy to make that error as selecting reverse is a positive movement. We think it's a 5volt supply and Tim has a test car to look at this week. Likely to end up with a microswitch under the gaiter to press on selecting reverse.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd like to see some pics of Jardon's T5 - same vintage as mine but I bet a lot fitter and quicker!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    I'd like to see some pics of Jardon's T5 - same vintage as mine but I bet a lot fitter and quicker!!
    Thanks Dave but It's nothing special to look at. Filthy at the moment and needs some paint correction on the doors. It did look nice after a visit to GazT4R a while back but I am a lazy boy when it comes to cleaning - gets a wash 3 or 4 times per year. I have been cleaning the interior though and that has come up nicely - just need to work on the carpets and rear seats next.

As an aside I am running Fuchs Titan 75W80 Sintofluid in the box now instead of Redline Heavyweight Shockproof in the last M56. The gear change is smoother and the Gripper diff locks better - it is noisier at full lock but the performance advantage is worth it. All the Shockproof oils contain friction reducing additives which are useful in plate diffs to reduce noise but not necessarily good for changing gear. Normal transmission oils increase friction to allow better synchro action and have the knock on effect of better diff lock up. It does feel very quick.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I too am not much of a car washer! My wheels are permanently filthy and theres moss on the window rubbers. I have a young family and busy life and spending hours washing the car doesn't go down well!

Thread Information