Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Strange whirring noise from engine c70 t5

hi guys,
    I have a c70 1999 model T5 GT with 100k miles full Volvo history etc
    I think the car is developing a strange kind of whirring noise from the engine, not sure exactly where it's coming from but seems to be right in the middle or slightly towards the rear. It sounds kind of hollow!
    I have made a short video so you can hear it for yourself!!
    The engine sounds a bit rough in the video but to be honest it's very quiet apart from the injectors which are very noisy, the whirring noise in kind of in the background!
    Any help/advice would be great!
    Thanks
    here is the link to the video
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0-16-20-42.mp4

Just cant keep away from the
    Ovlovs lol
    Thanks
    weird one that...turbo??
    Back with a 1997 S70 T5 SE

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daza-b View Post
    weird one that...turbo??
    Well it's deffo odd lol

Maybe the PCV as it sounds like a hollow sound!

Car has been perfect for the few weeks I have owned it!

Not sure it's boosting right either, seems to rev fine but lacks a bit of trq!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    TBH I didn't hear much above the rest of the usually engine noise.

If you are local to Shropshire I will happily help out.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    May be p/s pump or water pump? or has the timing/auxiliary belt frayed and started rubbing on the plastic cover? or manifold gasket blowing from one of the ports?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    All I can hear is the aircon pump making its usual high pitch whine.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    ha ha I can't hear half the stuff you guy's can!
    I am going to check and see if the dipstick is blowing anything out and see if the oil filler is creating a vacuum, apart from that not sure what else to check,I sometimes get a metallic noise that sounds like a timing belt cover rubbing but it's on the right hand side of the engine so it can't be that lol

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Have you checked all the small piping? I had a kinked pipe once that made what sounded like a whirring noise.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I have just checked the PCV and it's all fine, the noise has now gone, I think it's only when it's hot!
    Checked the oil level and it's on minimum, I guess if I put the 1.5 litres that's missing in it might not sound so hollow!
    I want to replace all the vacuum pipes as well as they are getting old now, can anyone point me in the direction of a good diagram or pictures of where they all are on the car?
    I had a Saab 9-5 aero previously and could see all the hoses easily but on the C70 I can't see a b****y thing!

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    you should hear mine on a cold morning for noises, i thought it was bad but flyingbrick made me feel much better on sunday lol

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Most vac pipes relate to the BCS which is strapped to the side of the airbox. Vac pipes run from the actuator & turbine (clean air side) of the turbo. The other one runs to the blow off side of the air intake from the BCS.

There is a vac pipe that runs to the NS end of the inlet manfiold just near to the one that runs to the brake servo.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Most vac pipes relate to the BCS which is strapped to the side of the airbox. Vac pipes run from the actuator & turbine (clean air side) of the turbo. The other one runs to the blow off side of the air intake from the BCS.

There is a vac pipe that runs to the NS end of the inlet manfiold just near to the one that runs to the brake servo.
    ok mate that's great!

I am in Banbury by the way, a fair few miles from Shropshire!

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK so as well as this odd noise the car does not pull as strongly as it did and I have vibration through throttle pedal and steering wheel from about 2k revs!
    Now I am getting worried!!

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Is it rough at idle?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb192uk View Post
    Is it rough at idle?
    Hi

Yes maybe a little bit, it's only a little bit rough, it still accelerates smoothly (no stuttering on boost etc) it just feels like it's down on trq more than anything!

A month ago it was silky smooth and very quiet all across the rev range but now it seems a little bit rough on idle and almost a bit lumpy at 2k onwards, this is also where the vibration seems to start.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    could still be maf, or a boost leak somewhere?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thad1 View Post
    hi guys,
    I have a c70 1999 model T5 GT with 100k miles full Volvo history etc
    I think the car is developing a strange kind of whirring noise from the engine, not sure exactly where it's coming from but seems to be right in the middle or slightly towards the rear. It sounds kind of hollow!
    I have made a short video so you can hear it for yourself!!
    The engine sounds a bit rough in the video but to be honest it's very quiet apart from the injectors which are very noisy, the whirring noise in kind of in the background!
    Any help/advice would be great!
    Thanks
    here is the link to the video
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/...0-16-20-42.mp4

That sounds very similar to what I have on my S40. Here have a listen http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41368 not sure what it is but fuel pump has been mentioned. Now as you said its not boosting correctly and me having my oil return pipe o ring and gasket replaced and pipes checked and cleaned it could be that although my boost seems fine.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
    That sounds very similar to what I have on my S40. Here have a listen http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41368 not sure what it is but fuel pump has been mentioned. Now as you said its not boosting correctly and me having my oil return pipe o ring and gasket replaced and pipes checked and cleaned it could be that although my boost seems fine.
    Hi Thanks for that, I am not sure there is a drop in boost now, thinking about it it boosted higher or felt quicker when the temp dropped to -4c, considering it was 17c yesterday I would expect a drop in performance!

I am running it on 99 octane fuel, the difference in performance would be similar to me putting 95 octane in it if that makes sense!

I guess as long as it does not get worse it should be ok

It does sound like it could be a bearing on the way out but I am not sure if there is anything around the back of the engine that is a moving part with a bearing in it!

If it was on the front left I would be thinking tensioner etc

I am just worried it may be a bearing in the engine, but at 100k with a full main dealer history I would be a little bit surprised!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just a thought but the car was idling on a hill and stopped due to low fuel, I guess this may cause the drop in performance due to crap being sucked into the injectors, could that do it?

'Ow do
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thad1 View Post
    Hi Thanks for that, I am not sure there is a drop in boost now, thinking about it it boosted higher or felt quicker when the temp dropped to -4c, considering it was 17c yesterday I would expect a drop in performance!

I am running it on 99 octane fuel, the difference in performance would be similar to me putting 95 octane in it if that makes sense!

I guess as long as it does not get worse it should be ok

It does sound like it could be a bearing on the way out but I am not sure if there is anything around the back of the engine that is a moving part with a bearing in it!

If it was on the front left I would be thinking tensioner etc

I am just worried it may be a bearing in the engine, but at 100k with a full main dealer history I would be a little bit surprised!
    Yeh I listened to mine this morning and it appeared to be louder near the rear of the car although I can hear it in the engine bay too. I noticed when reverse parking and not fully letting out the clutch it would rise in tone slightly. Still baffling though

Thread Information