Join Today
    230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks

V70 Rear Tyre Edge Wear

My V70 is wearing through the outer edges of it's rear tyres again.

It happened about a year ago not long after I had the car, so I dutifully took it to Kwik Fit (i know, it was a sunday and I had a 400mile trip the following day), got 2 new rear tyres fitted and had it 4 wheel aligned.

I recently had all 4 shocks and front top mounts done (about 4 weeks ago), and had the car again 4 wheel aligned.

I've just had the car serviced on Thursday, and I've been advised that both rear tyres (the same tyres from the original kwik fit visit) are down to 2mm on the outer edges, sure enough they are, although passenger side is 2mm, driver's is about 3mm.

It's a bit annoying as the rears have a good 4-5mm tread still on all but the outer edge blocks. I'm going to get the alignment re-checked again, but I was just wondering if it's a sign of anything underlying that could be wrong (paranoid much?).

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    i canny help with yours but mine eats rear tyres so ill keep an eye on this for a solution

This user has no status

Thanks
    Do you have a lot of weight in the boot a lot? Sounds like they are running toe-in quite a bit - more weight in the rear will cause this along with a poor alignment. Do you have a print out of the settings used in the alignment?

Finally how many miles have you done and what tyres are they?

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    My boot ranges from full, to hoping the cargo net will hold next time I brake!

I had considered a Nivomat upgrade, but couldn't stomach the cost at the time, although hindsight if I'm burning through tyres because of the sag, it'd have worked out better.

In fairness I've had about 30k out of these rear tyres (Dunlop SP Maxx). As I said, 80% of the width is still 4-5mm tread depth.

I will see if I can fettle out the Kwik Fit print out from a year ago. I've got no details from the recent alignment.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think you are doing pretty well then! 30k and you've still got at 8-10k in them! I don't get 10k out of a pair of fronts!

With slightly bent rear suspension I only got 7k out of a set of ZV5s on the rear last year, with cycling them too. Are they directional tyres - could you swap them inside to outside edge?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBurnWorld View Post
    My V70 is wearing through the outer edges of it's rear tyres again.

It happened about a year ago not long after I had the car, so I dutifully took it to Kwik Fit (i know, it was a sunday and I had a 400mile trip the following day), got 2 new rear tyres fitted and had it 4 wheel aligned.

I recently had all 4 shocks and front top mounts done (about 4 weeks ago), and had the car again 4 wheel aligned.

I've just had the car serviced on Thursday, and I've been advised that both rear tyres (the same tyres from the original kwik fit visit) are down to 2mm on the outer edges, sure enough they are, although passenger side is 2mm, driver's is about 3mm.

It's a bit annoying as the rears have a good 4-5mm tread still on all but the outer edge blocks. I'm going to get the alignment re-checked again, but I was just wondering if it's a sign of anything underlying that could be wrong (paranoid much?).
    The problem is mate, your taking your car to Kwik fit!!! They don't and can't do 4 wheel alighnment. They do not have the proper facilitys let alone the room for a stand alone alighnment bay with equipment thats costs around £80k!

P2 V70's don't have camber adjustment. Therefore, if your tyres are scrubbing on the outside edge then either your rear trailing arm bushes are worn OR your wheel alighnment is not correct. Most probably the later is at fault as rear trailing arm bushes on V70s just don't wear that much.

You need to go to a proper wheel alighnment center. There are a few dotted around the country. Expect to pay £25 - £50 to check and £10 - £15 per adjustment. Some places, like Elite, Rainham, Essex charge £50 all in. The process takes approx 30 minutes depending on what needs adjusting. Don't be suprised if you have to have a FULL adjust (involving Subframe alighnment). Its common on V70s and S60s for the subframe bushes to wear and if the subframe twists left or right a knats ££££ the the car will appear to 'crab' as its driving in a straight line.
    Next time your behind a 'classic' V70 have a look and if the rear wheels don't follow the front then the subframe is out of alighnment. I have sseen it so many times and two of the V70s i've owned were both miles out.

STOP going to KwikFit mate!!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

230K, aiming for 300k!

Thanks
    Whoa!

As said in the original post, it was Sunday and I had a 400mile trip facing me.

I don't like to defend Kwik Fit, but in fairness the one time I have used them (That would be ONE time Lee) they used a hunter 4 wheel laser gizmo in a dedicated bay. The tyres have been wearing evenly up until the last couple of weeks.

The suspension and post fitting alignment was done by a highly reccomended local indy garage, who now cannot provide details of the setting used.

So re: Kwik Fit vs. Indy Wheel Alignment centre, I hate to say it 1:0 to Kwik Fit!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Sorry, hadn't realised you'd only been there once. Kwik fit - HUNTER wheel alighnment machine....Thats a first! Anyway, its worth going else where for a second opinion. Also, when you had your alignment done by kwikfit the first time, surely they gave you a printout of the wheel alignment, before and after?? They do when i get my wheel alighnment done and i've been using the same place for years. Must have been about 10 times or more. Thats 10 times in 15 years with different cars, i might add.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information